Question for those who drink sugared soda

Options
glevinso
glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
I haven't really had much in the way of sugared soda in years. I generally avoid it so that I can fill my liquid-calorie quota for the day with beer (a much better way to spend my calories if you ask me! :) )

Normally if I feel like I need a mid-afternoon caffeine-jolt I go buy a bottle of Coke Zero, which I do maybe twice a week, maybe less.

So anyway today at work I am at the cafeteria and I see they have bottles of "Coke Life" which appears to be half sweetened with cane sugar and half with stevia, giving it only 160 calories for a 20oz bottle instead of 250. Ya know? Why not. I'll try this instead of my usual Zero.

First impression: Oh yes this is good. I like the flavor of cane sugar much better than HFCS (nothing against HFCS, I just don't like its flavor over cane). Stevia leaves no discernible aftertaste for me.

Now for the meat of why I am posting this...

My SECOND impression: HOLY CRAP WHAT A FLYING BUZZ I AM GETTING FROM THIS!!!!!!!

I am bouncing off walls! How do you guys who normally drink soda with real sugar handle this? Or are you so used to the sugar buzz that you don't notice it? This is nearing uncomfortable levels of buzz for me and I have work to do this afternoon.

(I am sure this is going to turn into a sugar or artificial sweetener or HFCS is evil thread, but before that happens, know that I don't think any of that is true and really hope I can get a good answer to the buzz question :) )

Replies

• Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    I'm with you on beer>Soda haha.

I actually haven't drank soda in a long time and did something similar where I drank a Kickstart that my boyfriend had left in my apartment (80cals..not too shabby). I was so wired I went for an extra run. :# I chalked it up to the extra caffeine that was in the bottle.
  • lesteidel
    lesteidel Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I think it's a getting used to it thing. My boyfriend can sock down coffee like crazy and I have a little green tea and I'm bouncing off the walls. You get used to the effects of both sugar and caffeine over time, if you haven't had one in a while, introducing a large amount (and there is a ridiculous amount of sugar in a soda) will make you hyper. I rarely have one unless I've had no sleep and really would appreciate the extra energy, otherwise it makes me irritable
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    edited February 2015
    Options
    In my experience, all soda's have very little impact on me (even as a kid it didn't keep me up). I could drink several and go right a sleep. On the other hand, if my wife has anything after 2pm, she can't sleep, so we just don't let her have anything after 2pm, lol.

I am actually impressed you can tell the difference between HFCS and cane sugar. I have done a few different blind taste test for a psychology experience an no one could tell the difference.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I think you just get used to it. Like with caffeine, I used to drink it all day long (coffee) and then my work switched to nasty coffee that tastes like poop so I stopped drinking it. I only have my one mug in the morning that I make at home, and now caffeine affects me so much more than it used to. It's crazy. I used to think I was immune to the stuff.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »
    But in my experience, all soda's have very little impact on me (even as a kid it didn't keep me up). I could drink several and go right a sleep. On the other hand, if my wife has anything after 2pm, she can't sleep, so we just don't let her have anything after 2pm, lol.

I am actually impressed you can tell the difference between HFCS and cane sugar. I have done a few different blind taste test for a psychology experience an no one could tell the difference.
    I can taste the difference between "normal" dr pepper and the dr pepper made with "real sugar" and honestly I prefer the kind with HFCS... Probably just because it's what I'm used to.