Eating at night

Options
HarleyQuinn34
HarleyQuinn34 Posts: 38 Member
edited February 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
hello :) i have a pretty hectic schedule during the week. I am at work from 6:55 am-5:55 pm (sometimes starting at 6:25 am if there is a morning meeting) Tuesday through Friday- if i get out on time (which doesn't always happen) i get to the gym by 6:45-ish and workout for an hour. I get home a little past 8 pm and then my husband cooks dinner while i shower and try to unwind- i eat by 9-ish usually a light dinner (last night was a large salad and a very small boneless porkchop) and then i am in bed by 9:45 pm-10:00 pm

a friend of mine says i am eating too late and this will hinder my weight-loss. i have read two schools of thought on this. (1) is don't eat past 7 pm or 8 pm and (2) is a calorie is a calorie regardless of when you eat it and as long as you are not overeating late by snacking you should be fine

just curious what everyone here thinks about this?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    (2) is correct
  • DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    Eat whenever you want, it won't matter. I always eat just before bed, and often have dinner less than an hour before bed, doesn't seem to have stopped me!
  • Yolkex
    Yolkex Posts: 13
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Tips for eating at night:

1. Don't.

I hope these tips have been helpful.

EDIT: Try eating dinner before hitting the gym. Also, try eating more during work.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Yolkex wrote: »
    Tips for eating at night:

1. Don't.

I hope these tips have been helpful.

Unless she has a medical condition where eating at night causes sleeping problems, why?

OP, you're correct. I can't eat dinner until 8:30-9:30 three nights a week and I'm doing fine.
  • Kimstjohn
    Kimstjohn Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hello! It sounds like you are eating properly which makes all the world of difference in "Eating at night" If you are eating just to eat at night or snacking before bed out of the nutrition you have set up for yourself that day than yes you set yourself up for failure. But you are working out prior to eating after a full days work which aides in the dinner not going straight to your behind lol. In this case #2 is the idea here =)
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    A calorie is a calorie regardless of when you eat it.

"Don't eat at night" is useful advice for:
    • Nighttime grazers -- people who snack mindlessly in the evenings until their calorie deficit is gone.
    • People struggling with insomnia who have trouble sleeping on a full stomach.
    • Professional athletes timing their workouts and training and meals precisely in order to make game weight.

For everyone else, eat whenever you like.
  • HarleyQuinn34
    HarleyQuinn34 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    thank you guys! i think i'll stick with what i'm doing- mostly because i don't have much a choice. If i go home between work and the gym, after being at work 11-12 hours- there is no way i'd get enough motivation to go to the gym. Also, i never eat a heavy meal at night (no pasta or anything) because that would just sit in my stomach all night making me feel sick.

i appreciate all the input!!
  • mulecanter
    mulecanter Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    segacs wrote: »
    A calorie is a calorie regardless of when you eat it.

"Don't eat at night" is useful advice for:
    • Nighttime grazers -- people who snack mindlessly in the evenings until their calorie deficit is gone.
    • People struggling with insomnia who have trouble sleeping on a full stomach.
    • Professional athletes timing their workouts and training and meals precisely in order to make game weight.

For everyone else, eat whenever you like.

This is exactly right.

signed,

- Nighttime grazer