"All or Nothing"?

Options
Does anyone else struggle to get out of an "all or nothing" mindset when it comes to staying on track? I've been on MFP for over a year, but it has been very much of a yo-yo.

I've heard someone equate this habit of, "Well I already did XXX so I might as well XXX" to smashing your phone on the ground and stomping on it just because it already had a scratch.

I know it makes no sense, and I don't deprive myself even when I am on track, so it's not like I "need" the extra food. I still eat what I want, I'm just careful about logging and staying under my calories (1400, and I'm 5'2" so that is between BMR and TDEE. I did the 1200 cal/day with working out before, and it didn't last). I just get tired of it and then ultimately over-indulge, and it's keeping me from progressing.

What worked for you to get out of this mindset? I know how to do it, and to be honest it never even feels super hard, I'm just struggling to stay focused. Any tips would be MUCH appreciated (yes, even "suck it up, buttercup". I feel like I could use that, too).

Replies

• SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Suck it up, Buttercup!

Seriously, I think we all get to the point at times where we just get tired of the logging, tracking, avoiding foods we want but know we shouldn't eat much of. What usually gets me back on track is a few days of eating at maintenance. A weekend where I have a few beers, eat pizza and maybe even a candy bar. I don't have a solid goal, I'm not in a hurry to get to a certain weight or size, so a few days off don't matter in the long run and it helps to keep me sane.