lifting shoes

Options
Not sure if this is the right category to post this in, but it seemed the most appropriate.

So my trusty years-old Converses have a hole (okay... multiple holes haha) in them. I'm not sure if I should just buy another pair of black Cons or spring for Adipowers. Any feedback from anyone who's lifted in both would be really appreciated.

Also, I'm open to suggestions for other shoes. However, I don't mind the "bulkiness" of Adipowers or traditional lifting shoes (I don't "CrossFit"... yes the quotations were on purpose, and have regular crosstrainers for cardio days).

And I know I'm going to get a lot of replies about squatting barefoot. Maybe it's a mental thing with me, but I can't do it. Thanks in advance everyone.

Replies

• leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    You don't have to buy expensive shoes for lifting. Knock-off target tennis shoes with the insert removed are just fine. Anything flat that allows your toes to spread a little is perfect.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    Has anyone found the nike lifting shoes to be true to size?
  • krisalexine
    krisalexine Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    You don't have to buy expensive shoes for lifting. Knock-off target tennis shoes with the insert removed are just fine. Anything flat that allows your toes to spread a little is perfect.

Have you tried the adipowers though? I'm more curious to see if there's THAT much of a difference between the adipowers vs converses (or regular knockoff target shoes).
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    I like to squat and deadlift in $5 "water shoes" I got at Wal-Mart. Close enough to barefoot, but I don't get scolded at by the woman at the gym anymore.
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I use a pair of Reebok Nano 4.0 cross-fit shoes. I don't do cross fit but I was looking for a shoe that was flat and would last awhile. I had a tendency to squat on my toes when I tried to use my regular cross trainer shoes. I like them, and (it may be mental) but when I wear the Reeboks I don't end up on my toes when I squat. Plus they are pretty comfy and hot pink lol.

• jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    A lot of it will be personal preference, but ultimately you want as much stability as possible, which typically means having as little between you and the floor as possible (oly shoes are the exception).

I've lifted in just about everything, including oly shoes, and I prefer something pretty minimal like new balance minimus or vibram 5-fingers. I also like that I can wear them for other purposes if I want, unlike oly shoes.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options

Have you tried the adipowers though? I'm more curious to see if there's THAT much of a difference between the adipowers vs converses (or regular knockoff target shoes).

No, there isn't. Oly shoes will lift your heal a bit and feel like bricks on your feet (heavy), but in terms of function, there isn't a huge difference. IME.

The raised heel is what I don't like about oly shoes. I have trouble keeping my weight back with DL and squats, and I've found that having my heels on the ground, not elevated, makes a difference.
  • krisalexine
    Options
    Probably should've included this in original post:

The reason I'm asking is because most stores that carry adipowers don't carry them in a men's US size 7, so I'd have to special order it; not like I can just walk in a store and try them out.
  • LifterDave
    LifterDave Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Cheap flat soled Converse style or barefoot is the only way I go.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Not sure if this is the right category to post this in, but it seemed the most appropriate.

So my trusty years-old Converses have a hole (okay... multiple holes haha) in them. I'm not sure if I should just buy another pair of black Cons or spring for Adipowers. Any feedback from anyone who's lifted in both would be really appreciated.

Also, I'm open to suggestions for other shoes. However, I don't mind the "bulkiness" of Adipowers or traditional lifting shoes (I don't "CrossFit"... yes the quotations were on purpose, and have regular crosstrainers for cardio days).

And I know I'm going to get a lot of replies about squatting barefoot. Maybe it's a mental thing with me, but I can't do it. Thanks in advance everyone.

Adipowers are awesome, but definitely a dedicated platform shoe...they will definitely help you lift bigger.

If you want something a bit more versatile, but still a very solid lifting shoe for squats, deads, cleans, and snatches...the Reebok Crosslifter 2.0 is a nice shoe. It's not really a full on cross fit shoe, but it does have a flexible toe box...I like them because they perform very well for my platform lifts, but I can also use them when I want to supper set my front squats with box jumps or something. Also, I can just wear them around the gym while I'm doing my other accessory work.

If you want a dedicated shoe though, you can't go wrong with Adipowers.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    I have a pair of NB Minimus I really like.
  • krhn
    krhn Posts: 781 Member
    Options

Not required really, just get another pair of convos...
    The adipowers only really matter if you have mobility issues say squat depth etc. or are going into competing for powerlifting shows.
  • amwoidyla
    amwoidyla Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I love my Reebok Crossfit lifters! I use them on leg days when I'm focusing on quads and squatting. My shoe game is pretty strong, so it's it's anything other than legs, I just coordinate with my outfit
  • hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    amwoidyla wrote: »
    My shoe game is pretty strong, so it's it's anything other than legs, I just coordinate with my outfit

If my monitor isn't mountain-dew-proof, you owe me for a new one :-D
  • wolfsbayne
    wolfsbayne Posts: 3,116 Member
    Options
    I threw my old converse away when they wore out. Now I just lift in socks.
  • krisalexine
    Options
    amwoidyla wrote: »
    I love my Reebok Crossfit lifters! I use them on leg days when I'm focusing on quads and squatting. My shoe game is pretty strong, so it's it's anything other than legs, I just coordinate with my outfit

I've heard great things about the Reebok Crossfit shoes. I'm just a hater and refuse to buy anything affiliated or marked with the word "Crossfit" on it :s

And my shoe game sucks. My entire gym outfit coordination sucks actually, I just grab whatever's clean.

And thanks everyone for your responses! Will be sticking to Converses after all.
  • evanick528
    evanick528 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I love my Adidas Powerlift 2.0s for squatting. Adidas sometimes has pretty good sales online. I still deadlift in converses though