does 5x5 help woman slim down?

I want to try the 5x5 program but im not sure if it will help me be smaller and tighter or if it will make just look like a beast (which is fine if thats wat u want ) but im already kinda beastie i want to keep strength and improve it but in a smaller package lol

Replies

• symba1130
    symba1130 Posts: 248 Member
    It will not make you a beast. Getting BIG is hard work!! I have lost inches and gained strength while doing SL 5x5 for the last 6 months.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Women don't get bulky and you certainly won't get that way if you're eating less calories than you're burning while lifting. You'll definitely get smaller and tighter, though.

I started lifting this time around, in addition to eating at a small deficit. I put on muscle rather easily, always have, but I don't look muscle bound. I'm fitting into clothes I could only fit into when I weighed 10 pounds less than I do now. The jiggly bit under my arms is gone and I have definition in my thighs but I definitely don't look like a beast.
  • LifterDave
    LifterDave Posts: 112 Member
    Any decent lifting program can help you to slim down as long as you keep your appetite in check. You have to draw a balance of being able to fuel your work outs without getting fat. Lots of people have no problem with that, but there are lots of people who pack on the weight since heavy (heavy for each individual) lifting can result in a ravenous appetite.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    When paired with the right diet, yes... it could be perfect for you.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    A calorie deficit will help you slim down. Doing 5x5 will help you maintain the muscle that you already have.

Women that are 'beastie' are very dedicated over the course of years, eat specifically to get that way and lift specifically to get that way.

You will not accidentally get that way.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    lifting for over a decade. I'm still not as beastly as I'd like.

Trust- if you keep your food on point- you won't get huge. You'll get lean and ripped looking. The more aggressive the food- the more ripped you'll look.
    -
    When you want more mass- then you'll have to turn around and bulk- but I expect that will take you over a year to get to a point where that's on the table.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    A calorie deficit will help you slim down.

5x5 will help retain muscle as you slim down making the end result more aesthetically pleasing. It will also make you stronger which is awesome and useful.
  • megganjeninngs69
    megganjeninngs69 Posts: 51 Member
    Thank u i tried to google it nd did get what i was lookin for thats y i just asked thanks yall :D
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    5x5 is a strength building program. It's not designed to help you bulk up or look like a "beast" Women don't generally have the testosterone to put on huge amounts of muscle mass naturally anyway. If they do, it takes a lot more than just a program.

A calorie deficit combined with an exercise program you enjoy (and will stick to) will be most beneficial in helping you slim down. The calorie deficit is the main thing. A good lifting program, will help you maintain the muscle you have, while slimming down (as otherwise, it's pretty common to lose muscle mass while you lose weight)