Walking to Get Fit/For A Good Cause

Options

This October I am participating in a Walk to End Alzheimer's. It is a two mile walk, not a race, but I have been gearing up for it all the same. Late last year my family lost its matriarch, my Grandmother after a decade long fight with this disease.

My father and his siblings decided to make a donation to our family church in her name, but my cousins and I decided to do something different, something staying that would honor our grandmother year after year.

With that in mind we decided on a walk, so I wrote up our story, and registered our team. Rita's Renegades! In addition, I am personally walking for my Great Aunt Mary as well, I lost her 2006 after a fight with dementia. She was a remarkable woman, and was very much a grandmother to me as well and I miss her, and my grandma very much.

I'm very excited, but physically I know that I'm not in the best shape so I'm preparing early. I've started going to the gym again, and have built up so far from a 28 minute (not quite mile) to a 36 min 1.85 miles (it's only been about 5 days) and I'm feeling good about it.

I hope that I can inspire other people to walk/run for causes that mean a lot to them, or impact them directly. It's a great excuse to get to the gym to train, and does so much good overall :smile:

Replies

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Great post!! Best of luck to you.
  • 24Sept
    24Sept Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    You can do it!
  • debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,034 Member
    Options
    Go you!!! You can do this and you have plenty of time to get ready. One tip I learned from preparing for a 5k - as you build up stamina and you are able to go the entire distance that is your goal, begin to increase your incline by half increments. Your shins will thank you later!
  • 24Sept
    24Sept Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Good advice, I am training for a 10k in May. I am working on speed because I like to sashay and stroll☺️. The course is very hilly but I can only work on a thing at a time. I was very happy because I finally did a 16 minute mile. The participants are expected to maintain that pace.
    Go you!!! You can do this and you have plenty of time to get ready. One tip I learned from preparing for a 5k - as you build up stamina and you are able to go the entire distance that is your goal, begin to increase your incline by half increments. Your shins will thank you later!

• akern1987
    akern1987 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much everyone! and @debrakgoogins‌ great advice! I will try that!
  • NicoleS9
    NicoleS9 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    akern1987 wrote: »
    This October I am participating in a Walk to End Alzheimer's. It is a two mile walk, not a race, but I have been gearing up for it all the same. Late last year my family lost its matriarch, my Grandmother after a decade long fight with this disease.

My father and his siblings decided to make a donation to our family church in her name, but my cousins and I decided to do something different, something staying that would honor our grandmother year after year.

With that in mind we decided on a walk, so I wrote up our story, and registered our team. Rita's Renegades! In addition, I am personally walking for my Great Aunt Mary as well, I lost her 2006 after a fight with dementia. She was a remarkable woman, and was very much a grandmother to me as well and I miss her, and my grandma very much.

I'm very excited, but physically I know that I'm not in the best shape so I'm preparing early. I've started going to the gym again, and have built up so far from a 28 minute (not quite mile) to a 36 min 1.85 miles (it's only been about 5 days) and I'm feeling good about it.

I hope that I can inspire other people to walk/run for causes that mean a lot to them, or impact them directly. It's a great excuse to get to the gym to train, and does so much good overall :smile:

That is a wonderful cause! I actually run an ever every year to raise money for that cause.
    My friends and I are signing up for charity 5ks every month to do together. It feels great to know we are getting healthier while supporting each other. I'm about to do my first 5k in March. I'm a little nervous!
  • akern1987
    akern1987 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    NicoleS9 wrote: »
    . I'm about to do my first 5k in March. I'm a little nervous!

That's awesome! I hope to build up to a 5K soon! Good luck to you, I'm sure you'll be great, especially with all that support!

• debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,034 Member
    Options
    @akern1987‌ It's been over a month...just checking in on your progress! How are you doing?