Can I continue to lose weight during pregnancy?

Options
13»

Replies

• MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    ketorach wrote:
    I have not read any of the replies because they're all irrelevant unless they say to speak to a doctor.
    Gee, presenting scientific research doesn't count for anything with you? :confused:
    And how about the guidelines from the US & Canadian OB societies?
    lfred12 wrote:
    if I overdo it on the carbs I will gain weight like crazy
    It takes 2g of water to process 1g of carbs in the body, so the few days after having a high-carb meal you'll be heavier.

But yes, getting plenty of folate is important very early in pregnancy, since the fetus' nervous system is forming.
    https://www.google.com/#q=what+foods+are+high+in+folate
  • jonrenly
    jonrenly Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    ajwall3 wrote: »
    Annnnnd that's concerning that your doctor suggested Google as a valid source of medical advice.... :neutral_face:

MFP users are about as credible a source of information as a google search.
  • Amanda4change
    Amanda4change Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    As someone who's last baby was born at a low birth weight (due to medical complications) I would have happily gained 150 pounds during my pregnancy if it could have saved my son from the complications he had during the first year of his life that were caused simply because he didn't get all of the nutrients he needed. Unfortunately I didn't have that option. PLEASE SPEAK WITH YOUR OB about what your calorie intake as well as nutritional requirements are during your pregnancy.This is the person who not only has a medical degree, but does this for a living. Not only that they are the one who will be monitoring not only your health but the health of your unborn baby.
  • holliesangel
    holliesangel Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I only know of one person who lost weight while pregnant and she had terrible hyperemisses gravidium. She was sick from about the time she found out she was pregnant until they finally got a fenergren pump. It was entirely unhealthy and I wouldn't recommend anyone to try
  • ketorach
    ketorach Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    MKEgal wrote: »
    ketorach wrote:
    I have not read any of the replies because they're all irrelevant unless they say to speak to a doctor.
    Gee, presenting scientific research doesn't count for anything with you? :confused:
    Nope. People who are pregnant should be under the care of a doctor, not Dr. MFP.

Have you seen how scientific research is presented and misinterpreted every single day on MFP? I know you're not new here...

• Amanda4change
    Amanda4change Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    ketorach wrote: »
    MKEgal wrote: »
    ketorach wrote:
    Nope. People who are pregnant should be under the care of a doctor, not Dr. MFP.

Have you seen how scientific research is presented and misinterpreted every single day on MFP? I know you're not new here...

Not only that we have no idea if her pregnancy is "normal" or if there is something unknown going on that makes her high risk or otherwise not medically safe for her to lose weight.

From the Society of Obstetricians and gynecologists of Canada: The following guidelines may be useful for you, but keep in mind that weight gain will be different for everybody. Speak with your health-care professional if you are concerned that you are gaining too much or too little weight.

From The American Congress of Obstetricians and Gynecologists:
    Health care providers who care for pregnant women should determine a woman’s body mass index at the initial prenatal visit and counsel her regarding the benefits of appropriate weight gain, nutrition and exercise, and, especially, the need to limit excessive weight gain to achieve best pregnancy outcomes.

Both say TALK TO YOUR DOCTOR, they are the ones who need to be advising you in this, not a bunch of people on the internet.
  • obscuremusicreference
    obscuremusicreference Posts: 1,320 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    This post gets to two pages and all I can think of is 30 Rock's Dr. Spaceman. Congrats and never go back to this doc, not even for a flu shot.

kgnkzixm7r8s.png

nuddb9mg8f1k.jpg

1uvw0kbkonc7.gif

• twillhoi
    twillhoi Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Personal experience: I delivered twins 10 months ago. While pregnant my doctor was concerned over the potential trouble I could have and suggested a low carb high protein diet. I followed it very strict. I ate healthy and never left myself feeling hungry. I did not log but simply followed my body's cues. I only gained 13 pounds (even had lost until about 20 weeks) my doctor monitored me closely. He said that as long as the babies were thriving then there was no problem . They were 6 weeks early and we're still 4-11 and 6-4. After having them I was 24 pounds lighter than when I got pregnant. This was long and no its not the normal experience, but if you focus on getting the good stuff I think it goes a long way on keeping you and the baby healthy. Congrats!
  • Dori_B_84
    Dori_B_84 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I know many here have said this already but you need to a good OB/midwife and probably advice from dietitian/nutritionist.
    At 240lbs no matter your height you are pretty overweight and therefore should be managing your weight during pregnancy. This mean that you probably won't be able to continue losing weight but you also don't want to put on tons of weight through the pregnancy as this isn't good for you or the baby.
    The specific advice you will need will need to be targeted to you: your current exercise regime (which you should probably keep up as long as comfortable), any dietary concerns and any side-effects or issue you might experience as a result of the pregnancy (morning sickness etc) will contribute to what exactly you should aim for both in calories, nutrient splits and pregnancy weight gain targets. Therefore the internet won't be able to help you set specific goals because we don't have this info and it will likely need to be updated frequently as your pregnancy progresses.
    If you are particularly concerned about diet and weight during the pregnancy phone your OB's office and ask to have an earlier appointment with a suitable staff member to discuss concerns regarding your weight and diet.
  • jcat410
    jcat410 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I read each and every response. Thanks everyone for the input, it is appreciated. :)
  • dolliesdaughter
    dolliesdaughter Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    I hate to name call, but your GP sounds like an idiot. Your need to google for a new GP.
  • SandyCoils
    SandyCoils Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    ajwall3 wrote: »
    Annnnnd that's concerning that your doctor suggested Google as a valid source of medical advice.... :neutral_face:

Uhhhhm, for real? Wow. I'm sure that with your OB looking at your unique situation, he/she will do what is in the best interest of you and your baby. I do have a personal friend who was in your same predicament and she ended up losing weight during her pregnancy because she stayed active, ate healthy and had a great relationship with her OB and she had a healthy baby. Mind you, she was very obese, and strictly monitored by her OB. I think that you should be very open and honest with your OB and express your concerns and let he/she guide you. Also, listen to your body. If exercise becomes painful or uncomfortable, cut back and/or talk to your OB. If you're hungry - eat.

Your baby is going to get its nutrition regardless - from you, voluntarily or involuntarily. If you're not eating enough, you'll be getting robbed of your nutrients while the baby continues to grow. For example, I've read articles of ladies losing teeth during pregnancy because they didn't consume enough calcium (to support the growing baby as well as her needs) because the baby was using what the mother did consume. Let me tell you, that scared me enough to drink plenty of milk, eat yogurt, etc. LOL

Congrats to you and would you come back and give us an update?
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    (1) you need to find a new primary doc - any doc who says google it is a shoddy professional

(2) you need to talk to you OB and go by THEIR recommendations, not those of us on here, who do not know your history, medical issues, possible pregnancy complications, etc..... its one thing for us to give advice to a non pregnant person, but do you really want to take medical advice from strangers when it comes to the health of your unborn baby? (no matter how well meaning we may be)
  • ColinsMommaOC
    ColinsMommaOC Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I lost 15Lbs (265 to 250) during the last 3 months of my pregnancy, while the baby continued to grow and be healthy. But I was boarder-line for gestational diabetes and was put on a restrictive diet to avoid having to take insulin. I would wait til your OB appt and ask him/her. They will know better than anyone here or your GP. It is possible to do it safely (for you and baby) though.