Pushup help

Options
im leaving for basic training in a few months but I have a problem. I can't do more than 5-6 push-ups without my right wrist in pain. How can I increase flexibility and what's a push-up routine to help me do at least 40 in a row by May 25th

Replies

• Amitysk
    Amitysk Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    I have problems with my wrist as well. It's from a shoulder and elbow injury and my PT says the wrist pain is coming from trying to compensate. Anyway, she gave me 2 balls to use that actually help! Much improvement in any body weight (burpees, push-ups, plank, down-dog etc) exercise. I roll a little ball (like 2x the size of a marble) on my palm for about a minute at a time and then also take a tennis ball and roll along my forearm (also for a minute at a time). She has told me to use light pressure- when I do the therapy, I don't really think it's doing anything, but my pain doing the weight bearing exercise has improved. Maybe try that?

Massage, rolfing and physical therapy can help as well.
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    I've had success building up my pushups by starting with incline pushups.

I started with pushups against a wall. When I could do those easily, I moved to a countertop, then a chair, then coffee table, etc. Keep lowering the item you are pushing against until you can comfortably do them on the floor.
  • hdrenollet
    hdrenollet Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Try doing push-ups on your knuckles. I've done push-ups this way for a while now. I had a wrist injury 15 years ago and standard push-ups caused a lot of pain. Knuckle push-ups have helped strengthen my wrists and even reduced some of the carpal tunnel symptoms that I was experiencing. I also agree with starting out by doing incline push-ups and slowly work your way into normal push-ups or even decline push-ups. This will allow your wrists time to adjust and strengthen slowly.
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    Push-ups also make my wrists hurt. + 1 for the knuckles push-up advice.
  • mulecanter
    mulecanter Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    Try doing push-ups while gripping hexagon-shaped dumbbells, this enables you to do push-ups without wrist flex. Your wrist needs time to recover while you simultaneously get your push-up mojo on. As far as getting to 40, just do it. Do max reps for 3-4 sets twice a day. I'm a vet and taught basic training a couple times, ensure you are using good form (back straight, butt down, chest down to a fist distance from the ground each time). That being said, don't fret too much about push-ups, nobody washes out for push-ups. They will just make you suffer a little bit.