Coffee!!

Options
What do you put in yours? I'm in the process of switching from cokes to coffee, and have struggled with not adding too much crap to my coffee to negate the calorie difference. Also coffee is a much more efficient caffeine delivery system ;)

Currently I add one (heaping) teaspoon of white sugar and a splash (roughly a tablespoon) of creamer in a 16oz travel mug. I'm wanting to cut down on what I add, and so we use good coffee beans (Breakfast Blend from Sprout's) and we have a grinder here at the house that seems to make it much less bitter. I've moved away from the vanilla creamer, it's gotten to be just too sweet....I guess that's a step in the right direction?

Is coffee really something that is an acquired taste, and I just need to keep adding less and less and I will get used to the coffee flavor? Or do I just have to suffer through this? Before you chime in to say I should just give it up, I really need caffeine in the AM - I'm not a functioning human without it. I've tried several times, honest.

Replies

• Nerruse
    Nerruse Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    It's a little of both, I think. Good coffee does help a lot. I used to drink store brand pre-ground--these days I can't stomach it at all. I have freshly roasted coffee shipped and grind it myself right before I brew. I stopped adding sugar but do add a small amount of creamer since I'm too lazy to make it the 'right' way with a French press / Moka pot / whatever, I just use a normal drip machine.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    It was for me... I started adding like a tablespoon of sugar (lol the thought is so nasty to me now) now I only out half a tsp. I usually use about a tbsp of half and half but I'm going off dairy for a while and have been using "so delicious" coconut coffee creamer. It's pretty good. Doesn't have any flavor. I also like coffee black (if it's good coffee) but prefer it with a little sugar and cream.
  • xxlizzygxx
    Options
    I would suggest adding the creamer and not the sugar and see how that is, as the sugar is the worst bit of what you are adding, you should get used to it quite quickly.
  • eeelizabeth2012
    eeelizabeth2012 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I never thought I would survive without at least 2 milk and 2 sugar. When I went to Tims I used to get double doubles (even worse cause of cream!). I eventually changed it to milk and splenda. Then I heart artificial sweeteners are not good for you or for weight loss.

Now I only put in some skim milk. Nothing else. I typically drink flavored coffee though. You adjust. I love it now.
  • kathyk519
    kathyk519 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I used to drink coffee with like 10 sugars and a bunch of cream - then switched to splenda and fat free creamer, then less and less of that...now I drink black coffee, I enjoy it more, and the idea of putting anything into makes me want to gag. Your tastes change as you get healthier and eat better things...at least that is the case for hubby and I.
  • rissavanwey
    Options
    Thanks guys! I've been working on it for about a year now, trying flavored coffees (they usually taste too fake) and different things. My favorite thing to add are dark chocolate hot cocoa powder, but I'm pretty sure that's not going to help my weight loss goals :)
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    When I went vegan a few years ago, I couldn't find a suitable replacement for the whole milk I was used to, so I started drinking it black with sugar. When I started MFP and began tracking just how much sugar I was spooning into my coffee I started drinking it black.
    I have limited calories, and would rather spend them on actual food. It took a bit getting used to, but now I like it black. I usually drink 3 or 4 cups a day.
  • AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    I've drank coffee since I was a child. I prefer it black. Definitely find a coffee bean you like and grind it fresh yourself. I avoid any flavored beans. If you have to have some flavor, maybe add it yourself with spices instead of chemical tasting creamers.
  • Lezavargas
    Lezavargas Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I actually lose more weight when im drinking my coffee. I like it sweet, theres no getting away from it. I found that pure maple syrup made a nice sweet addition
  • EmmaFitzwilliam
    EmmaFitzwilliam Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    2 T 1/2&1/2 to about 8-10 oz coffee.

If I'm feeling super-decadent, I go to Cheesecake Factory and order coffee with a side dish of whipped cream (the real stuff, not stuff out of a can), and add a generous dollop of that to my coffee.
  • rayneface
    rayneface Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I would probably die without my morning coffee. I drink it black now, but before starting my weight loss adventure I would have huge calorie laden Starbucks creations. I went cold turkey and now I can't imagine my coffee being sweet or creamy. Try it, you never know you might actually like coffee black like I do!
  • prestigio
    prestigio Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Black please.
    A bit on the stronger side as well. Love the kick that it gives to hammer a training session :smile:
  • kshadows
    kshadows Posts: 1,315 Member
    Options
    I put a packet of hot chocolate powder, a splash of half and half, and a splash of flavored creamer (I LOVE the white chocolate mocha). I only drink one cup a day (in the morning) and it comes out around 135 cals. Worth it!
  • Altagracia220
    Altagracia220 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    use vanilla almond milk in place of creamer. A tbsp has almost no cals.
  • Katiebear_81
    Katiebear_81 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    I weaned off the sugar and cream, as well. I switched from cream to coconut milk, then just stopped one day.

I shake some good quality cinnamon into the brew basket before I start the machine, and that adds a nice flavour and amazing aroma!
  • BrainOnAStick
    BrainOnAStick Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I love coffee and have tried many different brewing methods: drip, french press, mokka pot, sock pot, Indian filter coffee, aeropress, and--most recently--an espresso machine. If you want a strong, but not bitter coffee, I recommend brewing with an aeropress. With freshly ground beans, you'll get a robust, rich cup of coffee without any bitterness. I usually drink my coffee with milk--unless I am using the Aeropress. The coffee from an Aeropress is so dang smooth. Good luck with your mission for a perfect cup of coffee. It's a noble pursuit!
  • Sevendust912
    Sevendust912 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Drink it black, you'll get used to it and then you wont want it any other way.
  • grammabro
    grammabro Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I mix several good coffee's together and have a sorta suicide blend. I make it in a french press and add a little whole milk (1tbs). My husband and I both LoVe it!!
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    Black with about 1/8 spoon sugar. Not sweet but reduces the acid.
  • KateParker01
    KateParker01 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I have nothing extra in mine just straight up black, but I do have a coffee subscription every month with a company that source small specific lots of ultra high quality beans direct from growers, and then today and ship them themselves. Costs quite a bit up front but is so, so worth it for the flavour and quality, and is literally pennies compared to Starbucks and the like.

Try a proper top of the range bean and see what you think. I too do not function on less than two cups of good coffee, I've trained my kids well!