Hilarious "Dieting" idea from the past, does anyone remember this? Please share yours too.

Options
I don't know what made me remember this but it made me laugh, so I thought I'd share. It was 1973 and I was 13 years old. What we did was put food color in Everything. So for instance if you where having mashed potatoes for dinner you'd color them blue. The premise being if something looked wrong or awful you'd eat less of it. But you have to picture it. My mom's one of those stay at home mom's who cooked dinner for us every night, (picture June Cleaver here) So I go to the dinner table and fill up my plate with food, go back to the kitchen and color everything so it's all just wrong, and return to the table. My family is like, "What the H*ll!" I can't believe they let me eat with them for the next few days. Everyone at my Jr. high was doing this including some of the teachers. Does anyone remember this fad or was it just my odd school?

I hope someone else has one of these odd stories to share. I feel like laughing today :smiley:

I'll check back in a few minutes to see if anyone else has a story. Right now I have to go wrap myself in Saran Wrap.

Replies

• BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,709 Member
    Options
    rand486 wrote: »
    When I first started "eating healthy", long before counting calories, I thought veggie shakes and home made food were the key, regardless of what was in it. In my mind, it was as simple as: "Take out, bad. Cook at home, good".

I love to cook, so I couldn't figure out why I continued to balloon.

Then I started counting calories - that homemade pad thai I loved? 1100 calories per serving. I was going back for seconds... *Smacks forehead*

Those shakes? Yes, they had spinach in them, but it was still sugar-filled yogurt, and high sugar/calorie fruits. I should've taken the hint when I started thinking "Adding rum would be a fun way to have these healthy shakes!"

Oh, young rand486, you were so naive...

Ahahaha! Too funny. This made me laugh!
  • jesiann2014
    jesiann2014 Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    tekkiechikk please stop!!! I can't... I can't... I just can't stop the tears!! Cotton balls!!
  • loganboo2
    loganboo2 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Barbs2222 wrote: »

I'll check back in a few minutes to see if anyone else has a story. Right now I have to go wrap myself in Saran Wrap.

^^ haha! I do the same thing!! Are you using any creams or lotions in particular? Any good results? (Sorry to go off subject)
  • Evenstranger
    Evenstranger Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    There was a diet pill a few years back, and may still be available, called the 24-hour diet. Essentially it said you can eat anything you want today, but tomorrow all you get is water and these weight loss supplements (fiber pills). So yeah, naturally, most people would lose weight on the plan - because they had cut their calorie count by 50%. Duh!
  • Barbs2222
    Barbs2222 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    OMG you guy's thanks so much for making me laugh. I always thought Ayds candies were something to relieve constipation so that's why they worked. I did do the only one food diet too. Mine was V8. Two big bottles, 560 cals, salt off the charts but after a couple days of course I was down. For a couple weeks once all I ate all day was one Whopper Jr. with cheese from Burger King, 420 cals, and as much beer as I wanted (I was in my early 20's)

The cold carb diet, I've never heard of but ew. I could see how that would work.
  • Lindsay_the_great
    Lindsay_the_great Posts: 209 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    I can remember my mom telling me that in the 70s, part of the plan for Weight Watchers required you to eat liver at least once a week. I just googled and found the plan here.

The fish! My grandma also talks about having to eat nauseating amounts of canned tuna because she lived in Iowa and there wasn't an abundance of fresh fish there. :smiley: