Depressed!

Options
Doing MFP a couple of weeks now..my biggest problem is medication currently on! Two of meds decrease metabolism and make it difficult to reach and maintain a target heart rate...also waiting on clearance from two drs to even be able to go back to gym...have lost 2lbs...anyone else have medical issues that make it difficult to loose weight?

Replies

• SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Remember that weight loss is made in the kitchen, not the gym. Focus on eating fewer calories than your body burns each day to lose weight and let exercise be for fitness.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    If you've lost two pounds in a couple of weeks, you're doing well! One pound per week is a perfect rate of loss when you don't have that much to lose (and 37 pounds really isn't a lot). You're doing just fine :)
  • mrengineer001
    Options
    2 lb is awesom. Look at the positive side. Keep loging your food intake. As far as excercise do what you can. Walking is a great excercise. Just keep doing what you are doing its working
  • obscuremusicreference
    obscuremusicreference Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    Way to go with your two-pound loss!
  • TracyShing
    TracyShing Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Hang in there! I take a med that slows my metabolism too. In addition, the month has been riddled with injuries, out of town guest, random stresses, and way too many dinner parties. Don't let it bring you down! Eat less, move more (when you are well enough to), and if you can only drop .25lbs a week, so bit it! All of us are different, be compassionate with yourself, stay on track, and take the triumphs as they come. Best of luck too you!!
  • TracyShing
    TracyShing Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    2 lb is awesom. Look at the positive side. Keep loging your food intake. As far as excercise do what you can. Walking is a great excercise. Just keep doing what you are doing its working

Yeah! What he says!!
  • hezemakiah
    hezemakiah Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    2 lbs in a couple of weeks is not bad!
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Tbh you have to deal with the hand you are dealt.

Your first target is you need to do it safely and that means getting medical clearance. Discuss with your Drs about whether there are alternative medications.No idea what they are and by how much they would slow down your metabolism. Care to say? Its a danger that it becomes an easy blame rather than something that is just dealt with and accepted.

Target heart rate? what do you need that for? You must be safe first and foremost and then its just a case of exercising at a reasonable, but safe level. Movement burns calories. Again check with the Dr what is and isnt allowed. I doubt its as black and white as you paint it.

Many people on here lose weight through diet alone. Just do what you can. 2lbs is good progress, so perhpas one of the areas you cna look at is to have patience and realistic expectations.
  • Lindsay_the_great
    Lindsay_the_great Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Slow and steady wins the race, does it not? I've lost about 30 and it's only taken me about two years! And I have nothing like your excuse. Progress is progress. Way to go!
  • michellelhodges123
    michellelhodges123 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    To clarify my situation...my children gave me a whopping case of the flu while they were in high school...once it became apparent I was getting truly sick..dr looked further..I have seen my heart from all angles..had one 8 hr procedure done already..truly don't want another! On two meds to control the rhythm and keep the rate down..they also suppress my ability to sweat..currently I can walk the fog, but need cell phone with me...my weight loss will be a snail pace, but is my " hand that have been delt" can lift only light weight and to certain point because it triggers extra beats..lol, they are working on that issue! It's frustrating...I'm waiting cardiac clearance and clearance from spine dr for gym...and the gym reminds me where AED is located...I feel I should be 69 not 48! it's hard when you try to do everything right and still feel like your going backwards.
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    Losing weight has so much more to do with what you put IN your body than what you DO with it. You can never burn off enough calories in a day to warrant being able to eat whatever you want whenever you want. I remember my daughter getting on the treadmill for 20 minutes and burning 70 calories. The cookie she likes to have for her snack is 200 calories.

I'm not saying that it's not helpful to exercise, but to realize where the real (initial) focus should be. You can put the greatest tires ever on your car, but if you don't put decent gas in the car or get the oil changed, it isn't going to make any difference how far you can drive or on what sort of terrain. Get the engine in good working order, then you can get the "all-world" tires and go for miles.

Better to focus on what your eating and get that under control before doing any sort of exercise regimen.
  • michellelhodges123
    Options
    Have totally changed our eating habits...much to the dismay of my family! Husband is type 2 diabetic...trying to control wit diet and exercise...however..when he's in the mood, he doesn't care..brings home Ben and Jerry's or Fritos and cheese dip and tells me..that's what the np meds are for...he has dubbed me the f**ing food nazi...as I have eliminated the soda! processed crap??and his beloved Ben and Jerry's....
  • IamUndrCnstruction
    IamUndrCnstruction Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    You can read my profile for the details on my host of issues LOL...but you can't let health issues discourage you or become the reason you don't keep trying. I have been at this for over two years now....nowhere CLOSE to where I want to be yet due to hospitalizations and decreases in activity or even a few bouts of "f@#$ this I give up!"....but slowly it comes off, and I keep going. Right now I am excited as I got clearance to go to the gym UNSUPERVISED (be scared people) and I feel that combined with diet (bout 70% diet 30% gym) I'll get there. You will too. Just have to keep the attitude positive and lock down what you eat! Your husband will thank you for it eventually.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    Michelle you can't change your hubby, only you. Do not let food become a wedge in your marriage. Let him do what he wants - he is a big boy, he knows the risks. You just worry about you and what's right for you. Do not let his bad dietary habits become a crutch or excuse for yours. :) If he wants to bring home junk, let him - you don't have to eat or drink it. You do what's good for YOU. And for the love of heaven, do not make it a battleground. You will save yourself so much stress. <3 good luck!
  • michellelhodges123
    Options
    Lol..it's so hard to eat kale chips while smelling Fritos and cheese dip....want to beat him! But..on plus side have lowered his A1C by 4 points! So..he is seeing a plus!