Meals under 600 kcal

Options
2»

Replies

• beckiirs92
    beckiirs92 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I love fajitas all the Mexican food you can buy from supermarket. It always ends up too many kcal. Chicken is the meat I use so if I use whole breads and no cheese is that going to cut down kcal by a lot?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    beckiirs92 wrote: »
    I think my problem is carbs! looking on pinterest and other places online.. I have bread/pasta/potatoes with every meal.. I feel like its not a 'meal' without them.. must be bumping up my calories right? lol

You can still have them, just have a smaller portion. More lower calorie vegetables, and less potatoes/bread/pasta. Half a roll, instead of whole; Less pasta and more sauce; Fewer potatoes, or half a baked instead of whole.

For mashed potatoes, try subbing half of the potatoes with cauliflower or turnips. Both are lower carbs and calories but are so mildly flavored you won't even notice them.

This is great advice. I measure out my meat and starch carefully and don't have starch with every meal. I usually have it with one, maybe 2 if I have oatmeal for breakfast.

For the other I'll have extra veggies or fruit or maybe some dairy.

But if eating with others the starch is a great thing to have, since it allows you to bump up or down the calories just by having more or less. I might make a second veggie and give myself half of the potato serving I give to others (or let them dish up).

I also often do the winter squash or root veggie replacement for the starch course. Fills out the same place on the plate and feels even more like you are having a traditional dinner than adding a second or third veggie course or fruit would.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    All my meals are under 600 cal. If you use a dinner roll plate and portion out differently, you can too.

That was just what I was thinking. Steak, half a potato, and green vegetable with water. Stew. Boneless pork ribs with turnip greens and rice.

If you drink water with your meal, have smaller portions of starches (potatoes, rice, etc.), skip the bread, and load up on veggies and protein you can eat anything. I typically do 300 for breakfast, 300 for lunch, 500 for dinner, and then have ice cream and nuts (150 calories) around 9. That gives me extra calories for snacks or treats or something special I want to add on. And I've been doing this 3 years.

• segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    Also, any meal can be under 600 calories. Take a 1200 calorie meal. Eat half of it. Done.

This works for a 400 calorie meal too: Take a 1200 calorie meal. Eat one third of it. Done.

And so on, and so forth.
  • beckiirs92
    Options
    Yeah I like to feel stuffed after my evening meal which is probably another problem I have I eat very little all day feel soo hungry so I can stuff myself at dinner time :/ I think I need to somehow retrain my brain!
  • jumblejups
    jumblejups Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I've had a rummage in my food diary to see what I usually do, I know my dinners are usually under 600cals, so here goes...

- Boiled rice, Quorn chicken pieces, gravy (from an instant mix), broccoli, cauliflower
    - Jacket potato topped with light Philadelphia, various vegetables and pickles, grilled turkey breast
    - Quorn mince bolognaise-style (seasonings, tinned tomatoes, vegetables, stock), pasta
    - Grilled lamb steak with spices and mashed potato (made with almond milk and little butter)
    - Tuna (tinned) mixed with mayo or cottage cheese, vegetables, on top of steamed squash
    - Baked pork loin, vegetables, with quinoa

Sorry I didn't attribute specific numbers, but each meal is under 600cals. Like others have said for me it's about portion size, I always have carbs at dinner too. Also I don't have tiny carb portions (rice is 180g cooked, quinoa is 70g dry, a jacket potato is, well, a large potato - don't worry I weigh it when I'm cooking :wink: ). I almost never cook with oil so that helps a lot, our cookware is non-stick so it isn't necessary and in the oven I use baking parchment. I like vegetables so adding lots really makes the meal but are low in calories and I usually steam them. My meat portions are typically 100-150g raw. Quorn is particularly low in calories, I buy it because as much as I like meat I don't like eating it every day, however it's great for putting together a lower calorie meal - I had a fair amount yesterday, 130g frozen of chicken-style pieces, and that is only 116 calories.

I have children and am married so any meal is for everyone, I cook things like the above mainly aimed at providing veggies, some protein, and some carbs and I just measure out my portions. There are some things we only eat occasionally because of calories (eg fried food) or that I provide on the side and I omit if necessary (eg grated cheese to go on top of a pasta dish).
  • beckiirs92
    Options
    To
    beckiirs92 wrote: »
    OKay! thanks for the good ideas! Yeah I do all the cooking, and have 2 fussy kids and a fussy fiancé! I will look on pinterest now.
    Break the fussy in the kids now.

Any advice on this would be great! Lol I know they get our bad habits because when I offer fruit after dinner instead of sweets they are just as happy. I definatly don't want my kids having the food issues I do!
  • saires_au
    saires_au Posts: 175 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Fussy kids make life hard. I adapt meals and often serve components separate for my fussy child as she hates things mixed together

Nachos for dinner last night was under 600 cal. I had a big serve of green salad on the side, made it with lean mince, tinned tomatoes, kidney beans and taco seasoning. Heaped raw cabbage between the corn chips and meat (gives a great crunch and fills me up). Small amount of grated cheese 10-15g)

Small serve of spaghetti Bolognaise, make with lean mince, passata, herbs, garlic and I blitz a ton Of veggies very fine (hiding them from the kids) capsicum, onion, spinach, zucchini, onion, mushroom, celery all work. More sauce less pasta for your serve

Grilled chicken/steak, 1 boiled egg, roasted sweet potato, feta, cucumber, tomato and salad leaves tossed together for you and maybe separate for fussy kids. If you have spare calories some dry fried crumbled pancetta over the top.

Buy baby potatoes, easy for portion control. Mini bread rolls are another option and serve carb heavy or calorie heavy meals as a half serve with a late salad or steamed veg for you.

Google slow cooker cashew chicken, add veg in the last 60min to bulk it up and make it less calorie dense. Cabbage, capsicum, zucchini, cauli and broccoli all work well. Serve with a small amount of boiled rice or cauliflower rice if it floats your boat, I prefer real rice
  • Zedeff
    Zedeff Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    My favourite big recipe is pasta fagioli soup, though I make it into more of a thick stew.

Brown 1 lb ground beef and set aside (optional if you want to reduce calories). Next saute 1 large onion, 2 carrots, 2 celery sticks (all diced) in the same pot with 1 tablespoon olive oil, about 10 minutes until soft. Add 3 cloves garlic (diced), a pinch of crushed red pepper flakes, and half a bunch of chopped spinach and saute until wilted. Add one whole can (15-19 oz) of drained white kidney beans and one can of drained red kidney beans, 1 15 oz can or jar of tomato sauce, 32 oz of chicken stock, salt, pepper, basil and oregano. Simmer for 20 minutes to soften all the vegetables, then blend. You can either puree in the pot if you have a stick blender, or add half the volume to a conventional blender. Only do half; you want it thick and chunky, not smooth. Finally return to a simmer, add the beef and a bay leaf and simmer 10 minutes; add 1-2 cups of water as needed to get to the desired thickness/texture.

Serve with 25 grams of any short stubby pasta; we use fussili. Top with parmesan cheese (optional).

In the MFP recipe builder for me this makes 5 huge entree size servings of 550-600 grams each, excluding pasta. That's over a pint of really hearty soup/stew. Per serving, including 50 grams parmesan (10 grams per portion - that's LOTS) and 1 lb of beef, but excluding pasta:

495 calories, 25 g fat, 40 g carbs, 12 g fibre, 39 g protein.