Losing dress sizes, staying the same weight.

Options
kmccann357
kmccann357 Posts: 91 Member
edited February 2015 in Getting Started
Does anyone have this issue, i'm a size 8 (4US) to 10 (6US).. my size 10 (6US) skirts and trousers hang off me yet i'm still classified as overweight at 11st 6lbs! It's driving me a little insane, I've been told by one of my physical education instructor (prison service gym staff) friends that running is the number one way of burning the weight. Sadly the last 4 days I haven't ran due to illness but i've still gone the gym and done lighter work, but before this period of time I was running four times a week and gyming everyday. Currently miserable.

Replies

• branflakes1980
    branflakes1980 Posts: 2,516 Member
    Options
    Hang in there. The scale is not always the best way to track your progress. Everyone is shaped differently etc. Taking measurements is a good way. As long as you are seeing improvement, your pants are getting bigger and your measurements are going down, you are heading in the right direction. Good luck to you, and I hope you feel better :smile:
  • DirrtyH
    DirrtyH Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    So you weigh 160 pounds - is that right? How tall are you? And you're a US size four?
  • crystalflame
    crystalflame Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    I'm confused. You're losing inches, which is what you want, right? Ignore BMI - are you a healthy body fat %? If so, why are you caring so much about the scale...?
  • kmccann357
    Options
    Between, mainly a US size 6 which is a 10 in England but I am able to fit into size 8(4) i'm 5ft 8in. Yes, 160lbs, I was exactly the same dress size when I weighed 140 previously and it's really something i've gotten hung up on, I just don't know how it is so high yet i'm still a "small' universally in clothes.
    I'm thinking too many carbs and/or sugar maybe my one down fall but it is very hard to balance your diet when working silly hours, quick fixes like cereal bars have proved a pretty bad bet on the healthy scale :/.
  • crystalflame
    Options
    I'm still confused. And I'm not trying to be snarky, I just genuinely don't understand why this is a situation you're unhappy with. You're upset that you still fit into a size 4 but weigh more?? That's usually a GOOD thing, because it means somewhere along the way you've put on muscle and dropped body fat. But that's usually something people have to try really hard to do. Are you lifting?

Carbs/sugar aren't inherently unhealthy unless you're neglecting adequate protein, fat, and micronutrients. And in this instance, I fail to see how it's a downfall - you said you're losing dress sizes.

How long ago was it that you were 140 and fit into a size 4? Vanity sizing is getting out of control - in 2 years' time without my waist changing, I went from being a 4 to a tight 2 to a loose 2 in one brand. That might be some of it.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Nevermind
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    At 5'8", 11st6 (160lbs), you are NOT overweight. That's a BMI of 24.3, in the "Normal" range. Who is classifying you as "overweight", if you don't mind my asking?

You're obviously slim (I'm guessing on my perspective--I'm a US size 4, and think I'm slim) and likely have a high lean body mass, given the size clothing you wear vs. the number on the scale.
  • ThePoeToaster
    ThePoeToaster Posts: 1,681 Member
    Options
    Dude, you're getting strong and toned. Don't sweat the scale.
  • kmccann357
    Options
    One of my main concerns with wanting shift weight back down to the 140 zone is for my cardio, I want to be able to run faster. I do intervals, hill runs, fartlek etc. but am I wrong for thinking less weight will aid in getting faster. I've hit a wall with my times and can't seem to do better no matter how intensely I alter my plans.
    Vanity is a big side of it too, being a 'fat kid' i've always just dreamed of being small (childlike figure is even preferable in a sadly warped head) so what it says on the scales has a huge impact on my motivation and mood.
  • kmccann357
    Options
    At 5'8", 11st6 (160lbs), you are NOT overweight. That's a BMI of 24.3, in the "Normal" range. Who is classifying you as "overweight", if you don't mind my asking?

You're obviously slim (I'm guessing on my perspective--I'm a US size 4, and think I'm slim) and likely have a high lean body mass, given the size clothing you wear vs. the number on the scale.

A BMI measurement I used online gave me a score of just over 25, I don't know if they differ at all?
  • gettinthere
    gettinthere Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I've weighed the same for years now...and I've been between a size 6 and a 10 depending on my fitness dedication....I am also obsessed with the scale so when I had a personal trainer taking measurements I was still so discouraged by not seeing the scale number move even though I was losing inches. It's very difficult to stop the mind games that we play with ourselves! Try to stay positive because....good for you!!! You are shrinking!!!
  • Timorous_Beastie
    Timorous_Beastie Posts: 595 Member
    Options
  • DirrtyH
    DirrtyH Posts: 664 Member
    Options

That is awesome. Thank you for sharing this.
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    You're hung up on a number. Ditch the scale. I'd rather fit in my skinny jeans then see a smaller number on the scale but don't fit in them.
  • Adc7225
    Adc7225 Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    I understand what you are going through. When I was a 130 I wore a size 10 petite now I am 150 and wear a size 2-4 petite. I am still trying to get down to 144 pounds and get my waist to 26 inches from 27. Absolutely no sane reasoning for this, it is just what my 'warped' mind has me convinced I need to do :)

At this point I just think of this like a hobby and hopefully one day I will find something else to focus my mind on. You might just want to figure you an keep working towards your goal and see what happens if/when you get there, more than likely something else may take your mind off it before that happens.
  • meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    Options
    You are a Healthy weight for your size.

If you want to improve your run times seek out a running coach.
    Your weight is not the issue.
  • crystalflame
    Options
    kmccann357 wrote: »
    One of my main concerns with wanting shift weight back down to the 140 zone is for my cardio, I want to be able to run faster. I do intervals, hill runs, fartlek etc. but am I wrong for thinking less weight will aid in getting faster. I've hit a wall with my times and can't seem to do better no matter how intensely I alter my plans.
    Vanity is a big side of it too, being a 'fat kid' i've always just dreamed of being small (childlike figure is even preferable in a sadly warped head) so what it says on the scales has a huge impact on my motivation and mood.

Yes, being lighter can help with your run times, but so can a little extra strength. It's possible you're stalling out because of form issues or an underdeveloped muscle group. Strength training might be a better option than chewing into your muscle mass.

I was kinda worried you'd say something like what you did in your second paragraph. You're tall and slim. Certainly not the fat kid. Embrace it, and find things you love about your body. Speaking from my personal experience of being hung up on the scale, you could possibly be struggling with body dysmorphia, and it might be worth talking to a therapist about it. You are not defined by your weight.