Calorie Consumption

Options
Hello! If you don't mind me asking, how many calories do you eat per day and how do you break them down with your meals/snacks? My daily goal is 1,860 and I'm usually pretty good about keeping it low by substituting vegetables as my carbs and eating fuller snacks so I don't eat as much between meals.

What's your strategy? I'm curious!

Replies

• Lezavargas
    Lezavargas Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I shoot for 1200 because Im trying to lose. I like to eat alot so i make sure I pack in a large number of low cal foods
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    Currently 2000, had been at 2200; lowered it to 2000 because I do TDEE method (set calorie goal with exercise included in the calorie goal number) and I haven't been exercising this week due to midterms. I'm at a small deficit for maybe half a lb a week.

I don't really break my calories down anymore. I used to have 3 meals a day eating 1/3rd of my cals each meal, and this all just got too regimented and strict for me. I now just eat however much I crave for breakfast and lunch, although I find that I do best when I eat at least 400 cals for breakfast. I keep breakfast higher protein (and fat) for satiety reasons, when I work out I keep lunch low fat and usually only eat a few hundred calories since I work out in the afternoon (too much fat and calories makes me feel gross working out), I tend to eat higher carb in the evenings. I will eat 3-7 meals a day. Or just.. eat 3-7 times a day. I don't really "snack" but instead I Just... eat when hungry? This works best for me. I don't replace carbs with low-carb veggies though. I still eat plenty of calorie-dense food.
  • nadiabooboo
    nadiabooboo Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I am doing the 21 day fix - so I should be eating 1500 calories. But I hardly ever do that. I am usually below. They say that you should not eat less then you are suppose to. Hard concept to follow - though I do understand why.
  • makingmylifebetter
    Options
    I'm aiming for 1500-- my guideline is 300 breakfast, 400 lunch, 500 dinner and two 150-calorie snacks (afternoon and nighttime), with any leftover calories available to me late at night, when I especially appreciate them. At first I was trying to do 400 each for breakfast-lunch-dinner, but I wanted enough calories at dinner to be able to go out if I chose to. None of this is rigid, of course, but it does help me as I'm trying to do some basic meal planning and cut down on my grocery bill.
  • roxielu0422
    roxielu0422 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I don't break mine down by meals. I do have a guideline. 400-450 breakfast, lunch and dinner, 200 snacks (2) per day.
  • dawnna76
    dawnna76 Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    1800 with an open diary
  • zipa78
    zipa78 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Lezavargas wrote: »
    I shoot for 1200 because Im trying to lose.

Lose what? Your sanity or your will to live?
  • Sydking
    Sydking Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    1800 at the moment. Will creep up to 2000 after next week
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    zipa78 wrote: »
    Lezavargas wrote: »
    I shoot for 1200 because Im trying to lose.

Lose what? Your sanity or your will to live?

^this X a million.

I care more about WHAT I eat than the calories because, for me, the food matters. The way I currently eat is sustainable for the rest of my life. I no longer log very often but I'm around 2000 calories but ideally should move more and eat more.
  • frendy21
    frendy21 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    The way i do it is i tend to eat the most calories in the morning that way i could burn those calories during the day. My goal is 3,600 cal a day
  • zipa78
    zipa78 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    frendy21 wrote: »
    The way i do it is i tend to eat the most calories in the morning that way i could burn those calories during the day.

Meal timing has pretty much no relevance to anything. There is no calorie counter in your body that magically resets itself at midnight.
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    2600 at the moment.

Volume breakfast
    Moderate lunch
    Volume evening meal
    Snacks in between
    Use my leftover calories/macros for whatever I fancy before bed, usually a bowl of chocolate, oats, nutbutters, yogurt, ice cream etc.
  • ScalySquash50
    Options

Main meal is breakfast,

medium lunch

small supper

If I'm under than I have a snack of raisins or a piece of toast depending on what I need
  • greengoddess0123
    greengoddess0123 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    I net about 1800 per day.

I eat back exercise calories, so with those, I usually gross about 2200-2500 per day.

I eat about 400-500 for breakfast, whatever I want for lunch, then I plan dinner and snacks based on what's left.

I lose about 1-1.5 pounds per week this way.
  • suruda
    suruda Posts: 1,233 Member
    Options
    I aim for 1200 per day to lose as well. I try and eat nutrient packed food high protein and lots of fruits and veggies.

I go for around 300 in the morning with coffee and a light breakfast like 1/2 cup of greek yoghurt

around 300-400 more for lunch and snacks (fruit, veggies, chicken)

that leaves me between 500-600 for dinner and a treat at night if I have the calories. My low calorie dessert is SF jello...if I have more calories, I can have pudding! :-)
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    I'm at 1800 and transitioning into maintenance/winter hibernation for a bit. I eat 6 times a day. Usually about 300 for breakfast, 200 calories before lunch, 400-600 calorie lunch, afternoon snack around 200, dinner around 400, and the rest is dessert.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    My goal is set to 1500. I eat 350-400 calories for breakfast and then 400-500 for lunch and dinner. But it varies depending on what it is. I usually eat a snack in the afternoon of some sort like100-200 calories. If I have extra calories left over at the end of the day I just eat a bigger dinner usually.
  • rozford
    Options
    this is all very new to me. This App tells me to eat 1350 per day. I'm on day 3.
    I spend 4-5 evenings at the gym so this gets increased by 300-500 cal... so anywhere between 1350 and 1850.

gonna have to start eating oatmeal and blueberries for breakfast again.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    rozford wrote: »
    this is all very new to me. This App tells me to eat 1350 per day. I'm on day 3.
    I spend 4-5 evenings at the gym so this gets increased by 300-500 cal... so anywhere between 1350 and 1850.

gonna have to start eating oatmeal and blueberries for breakfast again.

Why? What are you eating now?