At 55 Finding it hard to do the exercise :(

Options
Hi my names Janet and Im nearly 55 and started dieting once again as was over 11 stone and need to get back down to 10 and possible under that but one stage at a time. Im doing exercises on our wii doing on the spot jogging for half hour plus various other activities so all in all on the wii now for hour and 15mins but I have been dieting and exercising for 5 weeks is there any othe 55 year olds out there that find it difficult and is it just my age

Replies

• LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    I'm 10 years behind you but what I will say is that it takes our bodies a while getting used to exercise, I would say keep on going, doing what you can as long as you're not feeling the worse for it. Exercise generally promotes well being and increased energy - I can definitely agree with that :smile:

Maybe you just haven't found a workout you love enough yet.
    Maybe your doing too much too soon.

When I started exercise it was just walks for 30 mins at a time and most days. I then moved onto circuit training. It wasn't easy but I stuck with it and now, 2 years later I think nothing of running for over an hour.

It just takes time and forming new, lasting habits :smile:
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    It is difficult at first to find a routine that you can stick with. Hang in there. Five weeks is a good commitment and you can stick with it.
    Are you enjoying your exercise? If yes, keep doing what you're doing. You'll keep getting stronger and energy will come. If not, find out what you don't like and drop it......then find something else to try to fill that extra time. You'll find your way.
    Don't give up. The energy and enjoyment will come.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Maybe you need to find exercise that you love. Where I live I walk everyday. I enjoy it and it is something I can do the rest of my life. Exercise gets easier the more we do it. Use it or lose it, so they say.
  • James1935
    James1935 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I am 53 and use DVDs to walk and circuit train every day...it is hard I think as you age but sometimes we use it as as excuse...me included. You have to push yourself and be strong...you can do it. I was on 1200 calories a day and not losing..now on 1600 calories a day I am losing 1.5 a weeK! Make sure you are eating enough
  • RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    Options
    I'm same age as you and find that it is harder at this age than it used to be. Exercise gets easier the longer you do it. Your stamina will increase as you get stronger. I have a Wii also. What exercises are you doing on the Wii?
  • dawniemate
    dawniemate Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm 47 and am struggling to workout 2 days in a row. I'm doing shred stage 1, I can hardly move today. I also fast walk for 4 miles a day. I think I'm trying to do too much too soon. I can't give up though. ..gotta shift the weight. Xx
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    Options
    dawniemate wrote: »
    Hi I'm 47 and am struggling to workout 2 days in a row. I'm doing shred stage 1, I can hardly move today. I also fast walk for 4 miles a day. I think I'm trying to do too much too soon. I can't give up though. ..gotta shift the weight. Xx

@dawniemate you can hardly move today cos the Shred really puts our muscles through the wringer lol - keep persevering and by day 4 those aches will have gone (mostly), I've done the shred several times, stuck at it for the 30 days each time and got excellent inch loss results - keep up the great work, it does get easier :smile: )
  • dawniemate
    dawniemate Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your support. .just done it again lol. ..and my big walk....keeping on going. ..Thanks x
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    Age is only a factor in so far as the amount of time you have been sedentary. Getting into an active lifestyle (don’t think of it as a chore), takes some time. Don’t worry too much on where you are. Push yourself to slowly (and I mean slowly) progress. Lift a little more, move a little faster, or keep at it a little longer. Keeping a log book of your exercise can help.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    Options
    dawniemate wrote: »
    Thanks for your support. .just done it again lol. ..and my big walk....keeping on going. ..Thanks x

@dawniemate well done :) I'm so pleased you did ...have a great day :smile:
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    If you have been sedentary, of course it will be difficult. Whether you are 25 or 50 it's hard to begin an exercise routine. And whether you are 25 or 50 you shouldn't jump into anything.

You will get fit best if you proceed gradually. Otherwise it's probably you will hurt yourself. Fitness is a lifelong process and older people can do quite well over time.

I just had a baseline fitness test and am over the 95%ile for my age in everything. Interestingly, the body fat tester the trainer used doesn't acknowledge that women can be athletes after age 59. It cuts back to 18 if you try to set it higher. Ageism runs rampant.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    As with all exercise you need to find the balance between under and overdoing it.
    Start small with walking and gradually increase the frequency, duration and intensity so you are able to raise your heart rate.

As all the others have said it helps if you can find an activity you enjoy so it seems less like exercise and more like an activity you enjoy which also involves movement: rambling, dancing, swimming.

Id also suggest you do some form of resistance training to improve your strength, preserve muscle and greater bone density.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I'm gonna second what others have said: go slow. Be forgiving with yourself. You'll adapt. Good luck.
  • live_2_ski
    live_2_ski Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    The two best things I did to help me persevere with exercise after being sedentry for so long were:
    1 - find an activity I love to do, preferably one that involves other people.
    2 - schedule my exercise into my day, making sure its written on the calendar for everyone to see. No excuses, no interruptions and much easier to commit to.

The hardest thing about it was needing a nap after exercising! It took a few months to get over that hurdle!
  • RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    Options
    live_2_ski wrote: »
    The two best things I did to help me persevere with exercise after being sedentry for so long were:
    1 - find an activity I love to do, preferably one that involves other people.
    2 - schedule my exercise into my day, making sure its written on the calendar for everyone to see. No excuses, no interruptions and much easier to commit to.

The hardest thing about it was needing a nap after exercising! It took a few months to get over that hurdle!

I schedule a nap into my day along with the exercise! About a 15-20 minute snooze late afternoon is very rejuvenating and I have more energy for the rest of the day.