Soda

Options
swilkinson0705
swilkinson0705 Posts: 40 Member
edited February 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
I realize this is probably a hot topic but I am wondering how everyone feels about soda. Diet vs. regular. Is everyone hard and fast no soda? Do you enjoy a regular soda once in awhile as a rare treat? Are you thinking diet soda is fine and drink it often or do you think it's a horrible chemical to put in your body?

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I drink diet soda. The "studies" of the dangers of aspartame, etc. are overblown and unsupported. As I have been a type 2 diabetic for a long time, sugar was far more dangerous for me than an artificial sweetener. I have 2-3 diet sodas a week.
  • DirrtyH
    DirrtyH Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    I don't drink diet soda but only because I think it's gross. I will drink regular soda probably once a week or so. I try to fit it in my calories.
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    I can't drink diet soda because aspartame is a migraine trigger for me. I haven't ever been a big soda drinker anyway, but I don't actively cut it out. If I wanted one, I would have it.

I think aspartame is safe, and if I didn't get a 3 day headache from diet soda, for sure I would be drinking it. I miss diet dr pepper!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I used to drink a lot of soda...like 3-6 per day. I weened myself off of that and have one only very occasionally these days and I've taken to craft sodas than commercial, mainstream varieties. This is my current favorite...

blackowlcafe1.jpg

I don't really drink them often at all...maybe one or two per month. I'd rather spend my calories elsewhere...like beer.

Diet soda tastes like what I presume a horses *kitten* would taste like...I don't touch the stuff
  • Tblackdogs
    Tblackdogs Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I love Diet Coke. With that said, I realize that aspartame probably isn't something I want a lot of and caramel coloring isn't good either. However, I'm not ready to give it up until someone tells me to. So I try to limit myself to two a day. And not two giant ones.
  • dontjinxit
    dontjinxit Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I'll have a 7-up once in a great while, but there's just too much junk in soda to drink it normally.
  • Joelley1007
    Joelley1007 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I used to love soda, now I rarely drink it. I might share a soda w my boyfriend at the movies , that's about it because movie theater soda is Delish lol... We only go to the movies a few times a year. It was hard to cut it out at first , but so worth it. I don't like diet soda that's why I never went that route. In the beginning I would buy a 20 oz soda and just drink 3/4 and throw the rest away , it's what worked for me. Each day I drank less and less, until I stopped drinking it completely. This was about 2 years ago, now I just drink water all day. I don't even miss it either, if anything it doesn't taste as great as I thought it did.
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    I drink regular Coke as a normal drink, not a treat. I fit it into my daily calories. I don't drink diet just cuz I don't like the way it tastes. But if it's a choice between Pepsi and Diet Coke, I'll go with the Diet Coke tho. Pepsi's too sweet for my taste.
  • pjcfrancis
    pjcfrancis Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    The "studies" of the dangers of aspartame, etc. are overblown and unsupported.

Studies usually use an equivalent of hundreds of times your intake of 2-3 per week. So they are certainly overblown in your case. Personally, I don't like soda that much, either regular or diet, so it's easy for me to give it a miss.
  • MonaLisaLianne
    MonaLisaLianne Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    Look on the internet for recipes for making your own fermented fizzy drinks. Delicious and very good for you! Here's just one basic recipe http://thenourishingcook.com/ginger-ale/
  • MezaEza
    MezaEza Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Personally I stay away from diet drinks as I'm allergic to aspartame (it gives me awful migraines and makes me sick) I'm also not a fan on the taste.
    I used to drink tonnes of fizzy juice, mainly coke, but I've pretty much cut it out
    (mostly cause of the sugar content rather than the calories) but I do still drink it now and again if I'm out for a meal or at a party etc.
  • catatonicTheorist
    catatonicTheorist Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I go through phases with soda, honestly. I find I drink more in the summer than any other time, but I've had periods where I didn't drink it for years, and periods where I was having a soda or two a day. I'm kind of on the tail-end of a soda drinking phase right now. But I do love it, and I just try to be responsible about it. :) Right now I'm savoring a Diet Dr. Pepper.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    I drink a can of diet soda with dinner, and a glass when I'm out to eat. No problems whatsoever.
  • MissJay75
    MissJay75 Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    I usually prefer to spend my money and calories on different treats. The main time I drink it is as a mixer with alcohol, and I try to stick to diet. Mmmmmm rum & coke.
  • SammyBlz1
    Options
    I used to drink soda but now it's been completely cut. I drink the diet lemonade at chikfila as a treat. Other than that, its water or coffee.
  • Timorous_Beastie
    Timorous_Beastie Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I drink diet soda. One or two - sometimes three - cans a day. And plain water the rest of the time. I don't have any adverse reactions to it and I enjoy it.

My niece gets migraines from any artificial sweetener, so she doesn't drink it. I break out in a rash from Ivory soap, so I don't use it. Same thing, as far as I'm concerned.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    All I know is that soda threads always make me want some diet ginger ale (my fizzy drink of choice).
  • MindySaysWhaaat
    MindySaysWhaaat Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    When I was in high school my mom joined weight watchers, and the soda in our house changed from regular coke to diet pepsi. Since it was the only soda in the house, I basically got used to it, and now I like the taste of diet pepsi. I recently have started to moderate my soda intake because I wanted to cut my caffeine intake, because it helps me to sleep better. I still let myself have soda, but lately it's been cherry coke zero, and I only allow myself one bottle a day if I'm going to have it.
  • DvrDawg
    DvrDawg Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I drink diet soda daily - usually Pepsi Max or Diet Dr Pepper -every once in a while, I'll drink a Diet Mt Dew. I drink 3-5 per day. If you want a carbonated soft drink and no calories, it just takes a few weeks to get used to the different taste vs regular. But, I also eat pizza about once a week and other sacrilegious foods -but, make it fit into my daily goals or my one cheat day.