Family and friends keep telling me to stop losing weight.

Options

Replies

• maggierenee88
    maggierenee88 Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Yep I get it every day from somebody. I'm 5'6 and 137, 26 yrs old. I was a fat kid and teenager at 230 at one point then went down to 180-160 and yoyoed there for years. People are just used to seeing me bigger but I'm not at an anorexic sick weight. My goal is 130 but no more. Our bodies will tell us! Great work btw!
  • Annanna91
    Annanna91 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Oh my gosh I get this so much too! Although I've lost weight in the past, this last year has been the time when I've become serious about making a change, and I've gone from about 143lbs to 118lbs, standing at 5'5 and being 23yrs old.

My family (mum inparticular) begs me to "not lose any more weight" and friends call me a "skinny *kitten*." I often wonder whether they say it out of jealously or if they actually mean it. Like I know I can't afford to lose much more weight. In actual fact I want to lose body fat whilst building muscle, weight is no longer a concern to me.

But it's highly annoying that people feel the need to be so judgemental about what makes me happy, when I'm sure they wouldn't outright tell an overweight person that they were fat.
  • bartlesonjeanne
    Options
    As long as your goal weight is within a healthy BMI which it is for you then you shouldn't care what they say lose weight to your goal
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    Your goal is within healthy BMI. But be aware that seeing 'bits of fat around your belly' will probably always be the case. We don't lose all our belly fat, ever. We need it for survival.

Ever?

Really?

I've got a belly (and a profile pic) that say otherwise.

If you want to lose the belly fat, you can and you will. If you just want to make excuses .. well .... you will.

• zaxx1953
    zaxx1953 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    ....and here is your prize for being below average sized and having abs visible in the middle of winter.......

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Yes. I get this all the time. Even trainers who don't work with me have said I should stop. I'm at the high end of the weight charts for my height: 5'4" and 138 pounds. It's not like I'm even that thin.

What annoys me is when my friends who are the same height and weigh 10 pounds less tell me not to lose anymore. So I can't be as thin as you? Okay.
  • lewispwest
    lewispwest Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I had this recently. I've put on a stone in the last month and a couple of family member said "that's good, you were looking gaunt". Really, at 190lbs?!
  • njitaliana
    njitaliana Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Along with losing those 7 pounds, you might want to check the exercise boards here, since working with weights helps to firm up those jiggly bits. And I'd just not bother to tell your family that you're still dieting.
  • Jolinia
    Jolinia Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    Some of us (me!) aren't very lucky when it comes to the order we lose weight in. My face tends to get gaunt before the belly pudge budges. I just smile and thank everyone for their concern and go on with what I'm doing. They don't see me naked, I do!
  • Foamroller
    Foamroller Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    People feel sorry or have contempt for being overweight. But when you get "too thin" it reminds them of their own failure at adherence. Only true generosity trumps.
  • brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    Options
    people don't say that to me I guess because I am still a bit too heavy. Weight watchers wants me 145 and I am 155-160. I tend to get small in the face though when I lose weight instead of small other places. So you have to find what is right for you and just tell them this is what you want to weigh. I was 137 at one time and my daughter said I looked sickly. I decided I am happy at this weight and can eat a little more. Figure out what is right for you.
  • RockstarWilson
    RockstarWilson Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Your goal is within healthy BMI. But be aware that seeing 'bits of fat around your belly' will probably always be the case. We don't lose all our belly fat, ever. We need it for survival.

Ever?

Really?

I've got a belly (and a profile pic) that say otherwise.

If you want to lose the belly fat, you can and you will. If you just want to make excuses .. well .... you will.

Haha, with this comment and a couple of the girly part ones above, I just thought of a pregnant woman with a 6pack.
  • RockstarWilson
    RockstarWilson Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Some belly fat on a woman that is younger is natural, as the baby lives off fat when in the womb, and the body incubates it with fat. So, until you stop menstruating, your body is always preparing to have a baby. It takes a special genetic type, or a modeling career, to have as slender stomach as the ones you see in victorias secret.

Hope you lose your 7 lbs, but dont obsess over what you see on your stomach. Its natural. Anthropogenic, really.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    SammyBlz1 wrote: »
    Yes! So irritating! I honestly attribute it to two things:
    1. They're shocked to see a dramatic change if they haven't seen you in a while (and worry about your health.)
    2. Our society as a whole is so overweight, that people have almost gotten used to it as the new norm.

They'll eventually stop when they realize you've made a life change and have done it the healthy way. Four years ago, I lost 59 pounds--went from 193 to 134 (I'm 5'10). No one ever says anything any more, as I think they see that I work out hard and eat clean.

But it pissed me off a lot. It was like if you're not too fat, you're too skinny.

Oh goodness. I remember this. My freshman year of highschool I went to 108-125 and boys at the beginning of the year had the nerve to call me anorexic and by the end of the year were calling me fat.
    At 14 years old, I actually believed I was extremely fat at 125!
    Its ridiculous.

Boys suck!!! :disappointed:

No, just those boys sucked.
  • SwankyTomato
    SwankyTomato Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    What is your waist measurement? I am also 5'3" and I weigh 136. My waist is 37". That usually shuts them up.
  • Pink_Tink
    Pink_Tink Posts: 10 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I cant wait for the day for people to tell me to "stop losing weight" "your looking too thin now" its the dream haha

x
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Some belly fat on a woman that is younger is natural, as the baby lives off fat when in the womb, and the body incubates it with fat. So, until you stop menstruating, your body is always preparing to have a baby. It takes a special genetic type, or a modeling career, to have as slender stomach as the ones you see in victorias secret.

Hope you lose your 7 lbs, but dont obsess over what you see on your stomach. Its natural. Anthropogenic, really.

Ummm ...nope ..the foetus gets nutrients from the placenta which gets them from the mothers blood system and not from belly fat ..and the foetus is protected by the womb, again not belly fat.

Sweet thought though
  • Holla4mom
    Holla4mom Posts: 587 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Maybe using metrics will help them understand why you are doing what you are doing.

For instance, getting away from weight- what is your waist measurement? If it's higher than 1/2 your height, than you are at increased risk of diabetes, heart disease, etc.

Or if your waist to hip ratio is above .8, you're also at increased risk.

I was right at obese after Christmas (187 5'7 1/2") and yes, I carried it well, but I realized one day that I was skinniest woman in our group of 6 black women. I was very distressed about my recent weight gain and people were like, "I'd love to be your size" It made me sad that we've gotten that fat as a society and even more so in the minority community:(.

When I get down to 145, I'm sure I'll be told I look "unhealthy" but 187 was perfectly fine.
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options

No.
  • Daiako
    Daiako Posts: 12,545 Member
    Options

*head tilt*

But...no.