How obsessed have you become over this???

Options

Replies

• fatjon73
    fatjon73 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Just for all you data geeks out there, I was reading an interesting thread that got me thinking today.......it was VERY important info too, the subject - ALCOHOL.....so time for more spreadsheets.............heaven......... my next goal is to create a cookbook for all my own recipes so I can be pretty dam good with my counting......#whoneedsalifewhenyouhaveexcel

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10086274/you-have-500-calories-for-alcohol-what-do-you-get#latest
  • fatjon73
    Options
    here is my latest spreadsheet that is going to grow very fast in size, be fun while I sample....

3dudpmmjv9oj.png

• LoveLiveLife27
    Options
    I'm starting to become very obsessive over it, which I think, is a good thing.
  • fatjon73
    Options
    I'm starting to become very obsessive over it, which I think, is a good thing.

For me it is, very much so, it keeps me interested, the more I learn the more I understand so I am less likely to fall off the wagon, or if I do at least I have the knowledge of what I am doing to myself etc.
    I understand where peoples worries comes from on here, there are many people that unfortunately have anxiety issues or such when weight / looks are concerned, so as long as you can know when your over doing it, take things light hearted, but seriously then all is fine....if your the type to freak out over 1lb gained or no loss for a month then I say throw away the scales, and just enjoy life without the stress....I try to live life with the least stress as possible, I am not a nice person when stressed.....lol :s
  • sugaraddict4321
    sugaraddict4321 Posts: 15,720 MFP Moderator
    Options
    fatjon73 wrote: »
    ...I work in a chocolate factory, it has strick regulations about what you can wear, so a watch is a no no...

If you'd like a tracker that's pretty easy to hide, look into the Fitbit Zip. It's a little tiny thing (only 5 x 3 cms) that can clip to your bra (for the ladies) or anywhere on your pants. When I am in the house I just leave it showing on my hip. But when I leave the house, I put it in my pocket with just the clip over the outside of the pocket. It weighs 15 grams so you barely notice it's there. I think you could get away with such a small device at work. ;)

I also have a Fitbit Flex, which is a wrist bracelet (another data nerd here) but have found it over-estimates what I'm burning. Probably because I use my hands a lot during the day so that style of tracker thinks I'm active. I'm guessing you use your hands a lot too at work, so maybe a pocket-style would work better for you anyway? :)

Nice job with the tracking!
  • LyssaJ1
    LyssaJ1 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I use an Excel spreadsheet for my walking/running, but that's the extent of my tech savvy-ness. I'm still battling with my Fitbit Ultra. As to me being "too obsessive"...not anymore. Heck, my spouse (and mum) are just thankful I don't weigh every-fricken-thing before I eat it. I strive to find a happy medium, but eh...I think it's a "your mileage may vary" sort of thing. I do find that MFP does help me to keep on-track, at least the more involved I am, the more motivated I am to "do better." My 'crew' is of the nerd/geek variety and we aren't known for being outdoorsy or overly-healthy...but I'm trying to help my people live better too. Eventually, we'll group hike...sing nerd songs off-key and make it fun. :) Be good to you and keep up the good work!
  • papayahed
    papayahed Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I love your spreadsheet (another engineer). I wish I could do one but I find I get too obsessed by the numbers and it throws me off. The best way for me it to avoid as many numbers as possible and save the spreadsheet for more important things like books read and bicycle speeds. :'(
  • palwithme
    palwithme Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I love spreadsheets as I am an analyst. But don't give up gym time because of it. Both are important.
  • fatjon73
    Options
    palwithme wrote: »
    I love spreadsheets as I am an analyst. But don't give up gym time because of it. Both are important.

This is brain training. I am terrible at math (I'm a good with my hands not my head type of engineer) but doing formula helps me understand it more.
    Training the mind in later yrs (42 approaches fast. I'm my head that's getting old) is just as important as the body. (this is my mantra every time I spend an extra half hour on the pc)
  • palwithme
    palwithme Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I am 47 so I totally understand what you are saying. :0)
  • alliemay1024
    alliemay1024 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I log in a LOT each day. Its to keep me accountable. However, I do NOT measure my poops. I am dedicated, but EWWW!
  • GoPerfectHealth
    GoPerfectHealth Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I think your spreadsheet is awesome. Your goal is to gather information to support your health goals. You'll likely discover a lot about your own personal hunger and habits. You can discontinue your experiment at any time. It's all good! :-)
  • fatjon73
    Options
    Ok peeps

So after a heavey weekend and a weight gain of 2 lbs in the 6 weeks since I started I have spent the last hour adding more info to my tracker spreadsheet, I have added TDEE and daily gains losses so I can track even more info, I know I should have spent the hour working out instead before you all round on me......but having gained weight it has made me even more determined to succeed and get on top of my weight, I can now prove to myself that I am not going over, and that I am not any where near what MFP says I should be, so in the 6 weeks so far I can now hopefully start to understand what I need to change to help lose it.....(looks like the weekend cheat days are out of the window now)

Your goal is to gather information to support your health goals. You'll likely discover a lot about your own personal hunger and habits. You can discontinue your experiment at any time. It's all good! :-)

This is spot on for me....to start with its all about understanding your intake, outtake which is the number 1 priority on MFP, CICO as its stated every where on here.....so to understand this and what it does to my body weight etc then I need as much data as possible, once I understand what's what, I can then set a path to continue the work and the input to the SS will lesson once / if I get bored of it (or I get a life as some suggest...lol)

Next mission is to buy a tape measure and track my statistics as well........ see you all soon with more updates....lol

4c9io4n81mjj.png

• kristen6350
    kristen6350 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend caught me weighing my coffee creamer yesterday. He asked "At what point does this get a tad bit out of hand?" I said, "If I have the ability to measure it accurately, I'll do it.". That might be a bit too obsessive but I like knowing...
  • nokorie
    nokorie Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I love everything you are doing! Good luck :)
  • Morgaen73
    Morgaen73 Posts: 2,818 Member
    Options
    Now I feel bad because I dont have spreadsheets and graphs.

I weigh and measure everything as well to the point where my wife accuses me of bring obsesses. I've even considered takng a foodscale with when we eat so that I can disasemble what I order ad weigh it. Havent gone that far yet though but mostly I eat at places that have nutritional values of their menu items available.

• happygalah
    happygalah Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I love spreadsheets! Also an engineer.
  • dcrain02
    dcrain02 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I keep a handwritten journal and just began logging it all in here too. No, I don' t think its obsessive - its being accountable. When it starts consuming your every waking moment is when you need to worry. That spreadsheet seems like you are treating it as more of a hobby - which is a goal of mine too so I get it. My husband the engineer would be all over that spreadsheet.
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    That kind of accuracy would drive me NUTS! If it works for you, awesome, but I could never get that detailed. I don't want this to become something I spend hours on logging on planning and stuff. I have other things I'd rather do. Like spending time with HSpoon. And video games. XD
  • ImDowner
    ImDowner Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I'm not an engineer, but a fellow data nerd who loves charts and spreadsheets! I like to see how it all works, how doing this causes that to happen. Charts make me happy. That is one fine looking spreadsheet, high five to you! Whatever works for you, do it!