5x5 Ice Cream

Alright so I've heard good things about the 5x5 ice cream , actually, amazing things!
I'm just wondering if I should wait to do this program or just Start it because I just started doing cardio with some weights a week and a half ago. Any suggestions? o:
Thank you for taking the time to read c:

Replies

• AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Too much iso stuff for a beginner in Ice Cream 5x5 in my opinion. Stronglifts is the better option as long as you throw in some lat pull downs or pull ups into the work out.
  • zipa78
    zipa78 Posts: 354 Member
    iandrew124 wrote: »
    I'm just wondering if I should wait to do this program

What exactly would you be waiting for? Just get to the gym, grab a bar and get going, m'kay?
  • iandrew124
    iandrew124 Posts: 170 Member
    AJ_G wrote: »
    Too much iso stuff for a beginner in Ice Cream 5x5 in my opinion. Stronglifts is the better option as long as you throw in some lat pull downs or pull ups into the work out.

Really? I find it to be enough for a beginner for a good hour workout. o- o
  • iandrew124
    What kind of weight training experience do you have? Do you have barbell equipment available?

I have barbell stuff at home.
  • iandrew124 wrote: »

I believe he is saying that Ice Cream 5x5 has too many isolation exercises for a beginner, and that its more effective for a beginner to focus on the main big moves: squat, dead lift, bench press, overhead press, rows or cleans.
  • jenglish712
    jenglish712 Posts: 497 Member
    The main complaint I hear about ICF is that once you start getting into higher weights 1.5-2 hours is not uncommon. ICF is largely the same as SL but with added iso work more focused on bodybuilding. Hey, if I had 2 hours three mornings a week I might try that instead of SL.
  • iandrew124

I believe he is saying that Ice Cream 5x5 has too many isolation exercises for a beginner, and that its more effective for a beginner to focus on the main big moves: squat, dead lift, bench press, overhead press, rows or cleans.

Oh! Thanks for clearing that up.
  • iandrew124
    The main complaint I hear about ICF is that once you start getting into higher weights 1.5-2 hours is not uncommon. ICF is largely the same as SL but with added iso work more focused on bodybuilding. Hey, if I had 2 hours three mornings a week I might try that instead of SL.

Oh, okay I see your point. In that, is there any programs that are for cutting weight instead of body building?
  • jenglish712
    jenglish712 Posts: 497 Member

Oh, okay I see your point. In that, is there any programs that are for cutting weight instead of body building?

Calorie defecit causes weight loss. Weightlifting really burns relatively few. But lifting helps you keep muscle while you lose fat. Because ultimately when people say they want to lose weight they typically mean fat.

I do Stronglifts on a defecit with 3x5 but still throw in some supinate grip chinups and dips on the day I don't do Deadlift. There are many workout regimens out there but since this is the only one I have done it is the only one I can speak much of. I can tell you it works but that is not saying there are not others that might not fit your needs as well.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member

Oh man, to have my workout as short as 1.5-2 hours. That would be crazy, I could get an hour of my life back every day.
  • iandrew124
    MrM27 wrote: »

I have to kind of agree with that. Even though ICF was the first actual program I ran I did spend at least a year doing bro splits because I thought that way the right way so I did have a lot more strength when I got to ICF. For a absolutely new lifter it might be to much (might) and Stronglifts or Starting strength might be better.

Also, if you fall into this category, read the link

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/training-the-obese-beginner.html/

Yeah, I see your guys point about ICF. Well I'll keep researching then for a program that is more better for beginners
    Thank you for the link and your response. c:
  • iandrew124
    DopeItUp wrote: »

Oh man, to have my workout as short as 1.5-2 hours. That would be crazy, I could get an hour of my life back every day.

Dang, you spend 3 hours? o:
  • rick_po
    rick_po Posts: 449 Member
    Ice Cream 5x5 is just Stronglifts with a few isolation lifts tacked on the end. I would not do ICF on a cut, unless you want to adjust the volume down (maybe do it 3x5). If you want a simpler beginner program, just do Stronglifts, or Starting Strength.
  • starryphoenix
    starryphoenix Posts: 381 Member

I do 4 hours
    5 hours on Thursdays
    I'm always careful not to overdo it. My workout is very varied.
  • iandrew124
    rick_po wrote: »
    Ice Cream 5x5 is just Stronglifts with a few isolation lifts tacked on the end. I would not do ICF on a cut, unless you want to adjust the volume down (maybe do it 3x5). If you want a simpler beginner program, just do Stronglifts, or Starting Strength.

Hmm, alright, sounds good o:
    Thank you!!
  • iandrew124
    liahna wrote: »

I do 4 hours
    5 hours on Thursdays

I think that's too much.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    liahna wrote: »

I do 4 hours
    5 hours on Thursdays

You do 4-5 hours of what?
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    edited February 2015

Are you talking the novice program? I don't see many iso's in it muscleandstrength.com/workouts/jason-blaha-ice-cream-fitness-5x5-novice-workout.

I would agree, however, that SL or SS would be better for an absolute beginner.
  • dawniemate
    dawniemate Posts: 395 Member
    I clicked on this thinking it was about eating ice cream 5 times a day! ! Good luck guys x
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member

2.5-3 is typical depending on the day. This includes warm-up and cooldown and mobility work and all that too.