Sweetener

Options
What is a safe sweetener I can have? I found agave syrup at Whole Foods... but is that healthy?

Replies

• hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    Honestly, in my opinion, sugar is sugar is sugar. I don't think agave or honey is any better or worse than regular old sugar.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    They are all safe unless you have an allergy or sensitivity to a specific one. Find one that you like and go from there.
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    hesn92 wrote: »
    Honestly, in my opinion, sugar is sugar is sugar. I don't think agave or honey is any better or worse than regular old sugar.

Yep.
    Admittedly, when I use sugar, I use an evaporated cane sugar, simply because it's not filtered through bone char, and I am vegan.
    I don't buy into the fact that agave, or maple syrup, or honey, or brown rice syrup is any healthier than cane sugar.
    Sugar is sugar is sugar.

• beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    What is a safe sweetener I can have? I found agave syrup at Whole Foods... but is that healthy?

Define "safe". If you want natural and calorie free, consider Stevia.
  • Laurend224
    Options
    brower47 wrote: »
    They are all safe unless you have an allergy or sensitivity to a specific one. Find one that you like and go from there.

Yes, don't buy into the fear mongering, artificial sweeteners have been extensively tested and are safe to consume.
  • MustLoveCats21
    MustLoveCats21 Posts: 137
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I use artificial sweeteners every day. (My dad is diabetic) I'm not dead yet.
  • tat2cookie
    tat2cookie Posts: 1,899 Member
    Options
    I use raw honey or pure maple syrup... But that's cause I can stand the taste of anything else and sugar makes me crazy.
  • Freckles2882
    Options
    Coconut palm sugar is my favorite. It is low glycemic and It takes longer for your body to metabolize so your blood sugar levels stay even. Plus it has a bunch of other health benefits
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    I use Equal for tea, Splenda for cooking/baking. Once it's in your system, it's all sugar, just a different source. Don't like Stevia, though, leaves a nasty aftertaste in my mouth. ><
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    For most things, sugar.
    For herbal teas? Honey.
    On pancakes? 100% pure Grade B (A is for wimps) Maple syrup.

Why are you concerned with "safe" sweeteners? Has your doctor told you that you cannot digest sugar effectively due to a failing in your pancreas?
  • Laurend224
    Options
    EWJLang wrote: »
    For most things, sugar.
    For herbal teas? Honey.

Why are you concerned with "safe" sweeteners? Has your doctor told you that you cannot digest sugar effectively due to a failing in your pancreas?

Where do you get grade B maple syrup. I looked for it a long time ago when I was going to try the Master Cleanse (don't judge me :D ) but I was never able to find it around here. I've only ever seen it online.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options

I think if you are looking only at the sweetener, molasses might come out on top as "healthiest" as it has a lot of nutrients. But unles you are using a lot of sweetener, it's unlikely to make much difference in relation to total diet.

If you want lower calories, artificial sweeteners will win. If you want most natural, raw honey probably would. Or stevia leaves, but those aren't all that sweet.
  • HeySwoleSister
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Laurend224 wrote: »
    For most things, sugar.
    For herbal teas? Honey.

Where do you get grade B maple syrup. I looked for it a long time ago when I was going to try the Master Cleanse (don't judge me :D ) but I was never able to find it around here. I've only ever seen it online.

Well...I live in a semi-rural area of New England, so it's pretty easy to come by.

In other parts of the US, you can usually find it at Trader Joes, sometimes at Costco. It just has a stronger maply flavor than Grade A. Grade A is more of a pure sweetness. A is probably more useful to sweeten stuff like coffee if that's your vibe. I only use syrup on pancakes and breakfast sausage.
  • Laurend224
    Options
    Laurend224 wrote: »
    For most things, sugar.
    For herbal teas? Honey.

Well...I live in a semi-rural area of New England, so it's pretty easy to come by.

In other parts of the US, you can usually find it at Trader Joes, sometimes at Costco.

I'm more likely to find sorghum syrup down here! :p
  • HeySwoleSister
    Options
    LOL. I don't have that....I do have some brown rice syrup, which is OK in a pinch if you run out of molasses (I make some AWESOME Molasses cookies...so good)

Also, I don't find Agave all that great, but my stepfather really found it worked well for him when he was trying to control his Beetus with diet. (which is why it's important for the OP to tell us why she said "safe" and "healthy") He's on insulin now and happily back to real sugar on those occasions he wants sweets. My daughter still uses the Agave, mostly because she finds it's easier to blend into cold beverages than granulated sugar.
  • Laurend224
    Options
    LOL. I don't have that....I do have some brown rice syrup, which is OK in a pinch if you run out of molasses (I make some AWESOME Molasses cookies...so good)

Also, I don't find Agave all that great, but my stepfather really found it worked well for him when he was trying to control his Beetus with diet. (which is why it's important for the OP to tell us why she said "safe" and "healthy") He's on insulin now and happily back to real sugar on those occasions he wants sweets. My daughter still uses the Agave, mostly because she finds it's easier to blend into cold beverages than granulated sugar.

I always have molases and yellow label syrup (a southern favorite) in the pantry too. I have never been a fan of agave.
  • HeySwoleSister
    edited February 2015
    Options
    herrspoons wrote: »

Safe as in harmless in moderate amounts.

Also Stevia tastes like dog s**t.

I'd agree, but I don't know what dog *kitten* tastes like.

I'm assuming it tastes like stevia....aka terrible.
  • AvidAdrienne
    AvidAdrienne Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    For most things, sugar.
    For herbal teas? Honey.

No, not at all, I'm quite healthy. A friend of mine just buried her Mother, claiming artificial sweeteners caused her tongue cancer (which killed her)... so I've been a little paranoid about sweeteners. BUT, I'm not sure if the sweetener was medically linked to the death. Also, I'm just seeking a better alternative to white granulated sugar, and I certainly got some:)
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,087 Member
    Options
    What does your friend base this claim on?
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    herrspoons wrote: »

Safe as in harmless in moderate amounts.

Also Stevia tastes like dog s**t.

Your definition and the OP's definition may or may not be the same. Only the OP can answer the question as to their meaning.

People that complain about the taste of Stevia may be trying to use too much of it. Stevia is much sweeter than sugar and a tiny dusting of Stevia is equal to a couple spoons of sugar.