Are protein bars healthy?

Options
13»

Replies

• BigBadWolf__
    BigBadWolf__ Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    It depends on the protein bar.

I usually try to go for protein bars that offer 1g of protein per 10 calories. That's a good way to filter out some of the candy bars pretending to be protein bars (looking at you Special K).

The reality is that these are supposed to supplement your diet not serve as your diet
  • HealthyFit23
    HealthyFit23 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I eat quest bars. I find it hard to get the 100 grams I need from meat/veggies.
  • LuckyMe2017
    LuckyMe2017 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of your inputs. I am scaling up to 40% proteins in March... Just to see which 40/30/30 ration works best for me (I already did 40 carbs and am now trying 40 fats). So, I wanted a little advice to put a game plan in place for my protein up. Thanks again
  • BigLadBigLad
    BigLadBigLad Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Make your own it's what I do, if your concerned about the fat content just substitute the double cream with water, they're delicious just like eating a healthy alternative to a snicker bar yum yum

http://youtu.be/2srUe9-JD1Y
  • jovalleau
    jovalleau Posts: 127 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I'm a fan of the Clif Builder Bars. 20g protein, 270 calories, low-glycemic (not that matters for me), and keep me full from about 8am until noon or 1pm. When I'm running late for work, I normally wait until I get in the office and eat one with some ice water. They also come out to just over a dollar per when buying by the box.

I've never tried Quest or the other bars. How do they compare?
  • LuckyMe2017
    Options
    Make your own it's what I do, if your concerned about the fat content just substitute the double cream with water, they're delicious just like eating a healthy alternative to a snicker bar yum yum

Nice idea. My kids might enjoy helping.
  • minipony
    minipony Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    jovalleau wrote: »
    I'm a fan of the Clif Builder Bars. 20g protein, 270 calories, low-glycemic (not that matters for me), and keep me full from about 8am until noon or 1pm. When I'm running late for work, I normally wait until I get in the office and eat one with some ice water. They also come out to just over a dollar per when buying by the box.

I like quest because they taste great, are low in sugar and are lower in cals than most. They have a ton of flavors too.
  • BigLadBigLad
    BigLadBigLad Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    MidwaysT wrote: »

Nice idea. My kids might enjoy helping.

They're really good, you've just got to experiment with the amount of cream/water you add to get the right consistency. They're too dry if you follow the video I linked by the book, enjoy!
  • LuckyMe2017
    Options
    minipony wrote: »

I like quest because they taste great, are low in sugar and are lower in cals than most. They have a ton of flavors too.

Where do I find quest bars? I checked a few stores that I regular, but saw none. Do I have to go to a health food store, GNC,...?
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't say they are healthy or unhealthy. Just depends what you're looking for. I ate one yesterday and it had tons of protein and fiber so I thought it was good for my diet. It also had a lot of sugar so it depends what you consider healthy.
  • foursirius
    foursirius Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Protein bars are just fine to eat.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    When I up my protein calories, If I don't eat protein bars during the day, I have to eat 8-10oz meat for dinner to reach my goal. The protein bar is easier because I can eat it at anytime and don't feel like I am stuffing myself. Are bars healthy?

They are fine. Adherence is most important in reaching goals. If the bars help with adherence then they are good. Real food IMO is a better option but I see nothing wrong with protein bars...
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    minipony wrote: »

Where do I find quest bars? I checked a few stores that I regular, but saw none. Do I have to go to a health food store, GNC,...?

I'm way too cheap for Quest bars, but I think most people buy them online through sites like Amazon. My Dillons/Kroger doesn't carry them, but HyVee does, so you might just have to look around for them.
  • PaulaPalooza
    PaulaPalooza Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I don't think Pure Protein Bars are actually more pure or higher quality or anything. They are just more reasonably priced. They are like $1.50 each compared to $2.50 for other types.
    I didn't read all the comments so I apologize if this is repetitive- you can get a pack of 18 at costco that ends up at a dollar a bar. Pretty damn good.
  • njitaliana
    njitaliana Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I, too, have a hard time getting enough protein without eating Quest bars, even tho I eat meat, beans, eggs and yogurt. I particularly like the chocolate chip cookie dough and the Oreo ones.
  • mikeski52
    mikeski52 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    If you're just trying to hit your protein goal for the day, you might want to look into a protein powder instead of a bar. I got a big bag of whey protein from CostCo, and each serving is 27g of protein for only 140 calories.
    Another option is Lucerne (Safeway brand) Plus Protein skim milk; 12g of protein for only 80 calories. It tastes just like regular skim milk but a little less sweet.
  • KickinIt23
    KickinIt23 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    When I up my protein calories, If I don't eat protein bars during the day, I have to eat 8-10oz meat for dinner to reach my goal. The protein bar is easier because I can eat it at anytime and don't feel like I am stuffing myself. Are bars healthy?

I think protein bars are a great alternative, in moderation.
    You might want to try some nuts, or create your own snack of granola and nuts. Then you know what is in it and you know that it is healthy!