Protein powder (ladies especially)

Options
2»

Replies

• V2Win1000
    V2Win1000 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    There is one thing above all other factors to consider when buying protein powder! Make sure your protein isnt cut with cheap junk to boost a fake protein reading for the label. The majority of manufacturers pull a trick called amino spiking witch allows them to cut up to half of the protein thats listed on the label and still get the same reading thats on the labels, but with products that are much cheaper and a lot more useless than the protein you're paying for.

Its easy to spot right on the label. At the botton of the label look at the list of main ingredients. Just bellow the types of whey protein look for
    **Taurine and Glycine**
    If those are listed just walk away because a company that cuts most of the protein out of a protein product and tries to pass it to the uninformed as being a legit product shouldn't be trusted with your health. So no matter your gender this is step one. I don't know all the brands that give you a clean honest product, but a few that are trustworthy are, Optimum Nutrition (ON), dymatize, and MTS. The first 2 you can buy on Bodybuilding.com or anywhere for that matter, and the 3 is sold exclusively at tigerfitness.com which for many reasons will be my next protein purchase. As far as gender goes, i know that alot of the female fitness models go with the ON and MTS. Hope this helps. Getting actual protein for your protein instead of garbage is by far the most important factor.
  • Ms_LisaKay
    Ms_LisaKay Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I use GNC Pro Performance 100% whey protein. It has 24 g protein for 150 calories, along with 3 g sugars (cane & stevia listed) & 8 g carbs. I find the flavors delicious. It is probably not as much bang for your buck calorie:macro ratio as many previously mentioned, and because it is GNC, it is pricey. But man, it is JUST fine in water (or my morning coffee - protein mocha, yum)!

As far as how it has affected me, I have always poo-poo'ed supplements in general. When Hubby & I first started weight loss & hitting the gym, our trainers & some healthy friends recommended protein powder, so we tried it. I definitely noticed a difference when I would use it post-workout: less ache the next day. It is/was something I felt good about snacking on in the late evening. Now, powder is a daily staple for me because it keeps me full and cuts cravings. I did not believe such a thing would be true, but it turned out to be so for me.
  • jazzy550
    jazzy550 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    As another poster listed look for a powder that doesn't contain a lot of fillers. And look at the sugar content. Some store brands are very inexpensive and they are just as good as name brand. I have mine with almost anything; in the bullet! Mixed berries, banana, peanut butter even spinach and celery! If I'm trying to cut back on calories I use water otherwise I add a half a cup of milk and I also use Greek yogurt.
  • neaneacc
    neaneacc Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I use Isopure which is about 220 calories but gives me 50 grams of protein in a two scoop shake. I use the dutch chocolate and it is low carb, but actually tastes good. I definitely benefited from the additional protein.