How did you determine your macros?

Options
vha2
vha2 Posts: 64 Member
I've been going by what MFP set me, which was 50% carb, 30% fat and 20% protein. But I've been thinking lately that 30% fat is quite high - so I split fat and protein evenly instead.

Did you get advice from a nutritionist, or do any research?

What macros do you track other than carbs, fat, and protein?

Replies

• ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,624 Member
    Options
    I lift weights. So I set up my goals based on my body weight as follows:

Protein: 0.8 (or 0.82) x my total weight, = 128g, although I have had my goal a bit lower... need to go change that back to 125.
    Fat: 0.4 x total weight = 65g
    Carbs: the rest.

Protein is minimum. I usually get my fat minimum but sometimes go over, so if I"m a bit short I'm not bothered.

There are no other macros. Everything else is inconsequential to weight management. I only track fiber and sodium for general trend-watching purposes.
  • vha2
    Options
    Excuse my ignorance but what are those in percentages?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I aim for 40/30/30, but it works out more like 40/35/25 carbs/fat/protein
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Recommended macros will usually involve a range, somewhere between minimum and ideal based on your goals. It's not always as black and white as people, websites, formulas, etc. suggest.

Speaking very generally, people should be aiming for -

fat: .25-.5g per lb of total body weight
    carbs: 1-3g per lb of total body weight
    protein: .75-1.5g per lb of lean body mass

Where you fall within those ranges should be dictated by things like personal preference, sustainability, and goals.
  • vha2
    Options
    jacksonpt wrote: »
    Recommended macros will usually involve a range, somewhere between minimum and ideal based on your goals. It's not always as black and white as people, websites, formulas, etc. suggest.

Speaking very generally, people should be aiming for -

fat: .25-.5g per lb of total body weight
    carbs: 1-3g per lb of total body weight
    protein: .75-1.5g per lb of lean body mass

Where you fall within those ranges should be dictated by things like personal preference, sustainability, and goals.

OK thanks, that's a good starting point but I have to convert to kg! ...

Fat .55-1.1 per kg
    Carbs 2.2-6.6 per kg
    Protein 1.65-3.3 per kg
  • vha2
    Options

Excuse my ignorance again but that sounds like a high amount of fat to me? Obviously it's working for you though? Do you work out pretty heavily?
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I don't work out and my macros are 40/30/30
    p-f-c
  • vha2
    Options
    p-f-c

Wow that's a lot of protein! I think I'd struggle to eat that much protein every day without going over my carb and fat limit :(
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I had to start out with my carbs because of a diabetes diagnosis a year ago. My doctor told me to stay under 180 g. which translated into 35% of my calories. I eat fewer calories now but stay with the 35% which is currently 158 g. When I eat back exercise calories, I will only go up to 180 g.

I split my fat and protein pretty evenly. 35% protein and 30% fat. Other times when I have tried to lose weight, I was way too low on both of those and my health suffered. I was hungry and tired a lot of the time and my skin and hair looked horrible.

USDA guidelines are:
    20-35% fat
    45-65% carbohydrates
    10-35% protein

ETA: the only micronutrient I track is fiber. I try for 30 or more grams daily.

ETA2: since you use kg's I assume you are not in the US so USDA is the United States Department of Agriculture
  • Christine_72
    Options
    vha2 wrote: »
    p-f-c

Wow that's a lot of protein! I think I'd struggle to eat that much protein every day without going over my carb and fat limit :(

yeah it is, sometimes I can't reach it. I have a protein shake everyday and quest bars which are delicious!

• vha2
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    I had to start out with my carbs because of a diabetes diagnosis a year ago. My doctor told me to stay under 180 g. which translated into 35% of my calories. I eat fewer calories now but stay with the 35% which is currently 158 g. When I eat back exercise calories, I will only go up to 180 g.

I split my fat and protein pretty evenly. 35% protein and 30% fat. Other times when I have tried to lose weight, I was way too low on both of those and my health suffered. I was hungry and tired a lot of the time and my skin and hair looked horrible.

USDA guidelines are:
    20-35% fat
    45-65% carbohydrates
    10-35% protein

ETA: the only micronutrient I track is fiber. I try for 30 or more grams daily.

ETA2: since you use kg's I assume you are not in the US so USDA is the United States Department of Agriculture

Thanks for that - and for correctly assuming im not US :) it seems to me that a trend on here is to aim for the higher levels of protein and fat, then fill the rest up with carbs. Interesting to hear about your side effects too, i never would have thought that could happen
  • vha2
    Options
    p-f-c

yeah it is, sometimes I can't reach it. I have a protein shake everyday and quest bars which are delicious!
    Case in point - i made it to 1% over my protein today but it meant +7% fat and -8% carbs :/
  • Christine_72
    Options
    p-f-c

Case in point - i made it to 1% over my protein today but it meant +7% fat and -8% carbs :/

grrrrr I think I might concentrate more on my calories then my macros!!
    I changed them today to 40-30-30 c/p/f. So we'll see. But I can't imagine ever hitting each macro perfectly everyday....

• TheMetalMan0
    TheMetalMan0 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    IIFYM.com will give you a good starting point. Just plug your numbers in and it will work it out for you.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    A protein intake of 1 gram per kg of ideal body weight is sufficient for someone seeking to lose weight, a range of 1.0 - 2.0 covers most eventualities. 30 grams of fat per day is a suggested minimum to keep the gall bladder happily busy and cover the minimum essential fatty acids of about 11g omega-6 and 1.4g omega-3.

Protein guidelines that use total weight were set with healthy bodyweight and normal body composition individuals so shouldn't necessarily be applied pro-rata to the overweight and obese. Ratios to lean body mass don't have this weakness but then you have to determine lean body mass.
  • vha2
    Options
    IIFYM.com will give you a good starting point. Just plug your numbers in and it will work it out for you.

Thanks, will give it a go

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

Excuse my ignorance again but that sounds like a high amount of fat to me? Obviously it's working for you though? Do you work out pretty heavily?

60g of fat is high?
  • dave4d
    dave4d Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    I shoot for 175 grams of protein, 75 to 80 grams of fat, and the rest go to carbs. I believe it works out to 30% carbs, 35% fat, and 35% protein. When my exercise calories adjust, it will shoot the numbers all higher, due to the percentages, but I only aim for my original numbers for proteins and fats, and let the carbs fill the rest.
  • vha2
    edited February 2015
    Options

60g of fat is high?

I meant the 30-35%, is that high? I don't know, that's why I asked.

ETA: I just used the IIFYM calculator and it's telling me to eat 55g of fat per day so I suppose 60g isn't high after all. I think the percentages are throwing me.
  • trina1049
    trina1049 Posts: 593 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I've set my macros for 35% protein, 35% fat, 30% carbs. This split seems to work best for me. I logged for several weeks first with MFPs pre-set macros but found that a moderate carb, higher protein and fat setting kept me satiated, still fueled my exercise schedule, and maxed my weight loss.

I also track my sodium at 1,500mg per day, and fiber.