Can get my head round the dietary goals. Help please

Options
the fat goal to be precise. I've set it to 20% as trying to lose weight. It's calculated that I need 27g of fat a day. This morning I've had 7g for breakfast which should still leave me with 20 g. However on the dietary chart it's showing current fat consumption at 31% with the goal of 20% which leads me to believe I'm already well over! Can anyone explain please. I'm totally confused. Thanks in advance

Replies

• lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,026 Member
    Options
    I don't use that feature, but I would assume it's saying that 63 calories (= 7 g fat) is 31% of the calories you have logged so far today. Have you logged about 200 calories?
  • alionaear
    alionaear Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Yes, exactly 200 calories! I'm still confused why it's doing it but think I'll just monitor my consumption on the detailed nutrition list, it makes much more sense. Thank you Lynn <3
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    I do not do the percent thing. I just look at fat and protein grams at the end of the day.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    alionaear wrote: »
    the fat goal to be precise. I've set it to 20% as trying to lose weight. It's calculated that I need 27g of fat a day. This morning I've had 7g for breakfast which should still leave me with 20 g. However on the dietary chart it's showing current fat consumption at 31% with the goal of 20% which leads me to believe I'm already well over! Can anyone explain please. I'm totally confused. Thanks in advance

I also don't look at numbers that way, but it sounds like 1 of 2 things is happening...

1) you've eating 31% of your daily fat goal (7g out of 27g total). That math doesn't work out perfectly, but MFP's math is frequently off a little with this stuff.

or

2) What Lynn suggested previously - 31% of your total calories for the day, thus far, have come from fat. So if you were to go have a big glass of skim milk (all carbs and protein), that 31% from fat number would go down as the ratios change.

Does that help?
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Why only 27 grams of fat??
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »
    I do not do the percent thing. I just look at fat and protein grams at the end of the day.

^this
  • alionaear
    alionaear Posts: 18 Member
    Options

I also don't look at numbers that way, but it sounds like 1 of 2 things is happening...

1) you've eating 31% of your daily fat goal (7g out of 27g total). That math doesn't work out perfectly, but MFP's math is frequently off a little with this stuff.

or

2) What Lynn suggested previously - 31% of your total calories for the day, thus far, have come from fat. So if you were to go have a big glass of skim milk (all carbs and protein), that 31% from fat number would go down as the ratios change.

Does that help? [/quote]

I think it's the first as my goal comes up at 27 g :) Thank you very much

• sjp_511
    sjp_511 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I don't use that feature, but I would assume it's saying that 63 calories (= 7 g fat) is 31% of the calories you have logged so far today. Have you logged about 200 calories?

this is correct.