30 days trust-yourself-challenge!

Options
Hi Guys,

I've just started maintaining for about 6 weeks. Current stats: 158cm, 49 - 50kg, i've lost about 30kg last year (2014). Some thought process below which i have divided below as i've been feeling very stressed, confused and down...

A) My current situation and feeling
B) How i really want to feel

1. Too much focus on the scale!
A) Current situation and feeling: I've started to become more obsessed with the scale because of the fear of seeing +1kg up. Although I am in maintenance mode, i will be slightly happy if i see a decrease in weight.

B) How I really want to feel: I want to use how i 'feel' about my body instead of what i see on scale as sound judgement . To be liberated from the scale obsession.

2. Obsessed over calorie intake (Current TDEE: 1600)
A) My current situation and feeling: I've never really counted calories during my 12months weightloss jouney, May just like 2 weeks of counting, after which i give up as it was too tedious and too much obsession and self-instilled fear. But now i keep counting and as I'm asian, sometimes i really cant find the food in the database to count. Which annoys me and I tend to restrict myself from eating,which means eating below my calories intake (maybe hovering anout 1300cal). The counting of calories and knowing how much a 'cheatmeal' calories consists of prevents me from having one. I feel restricted, suffocated and depressed when i cant have that meal.E.g Thelovely custard milk bread / that fried chicken burger / that lovely hot chocolate fudge and brownie ice cream. Which will then cause me to binge on certain occasions,espeically my favourite nuts (500 - 600 cals in 1 sitting)

B) How i really want to feel: To stop counting calories and use portion size (what i see) as a control. At the end of the day, i am a foodie , food nourishes my soul. But now i am avoiding social gatherings with the fear of eating unhealthily. This healthy diet is preventing me from going out,I want to stop this. Basically to be a happier person

3. Working out is less enjoyable than before!
A) My current situation and feeling:Since being in maintenance mode,i feel the need to move more. Previously i went to the gym 3 - 4 times a week, now i've Increased gym frequency ( 4 - 5 times /week). Working out seems to be less enjoyable and im constantly feeling tired, restless and lack of energy,

B) How i really want to feel: I want to feel strong, energized and motivated to go to the gym. Basically to find a new objective (strength training) and focus on it!

The TYC Challenge: For 30 days, i will base on my gut feel for my meals and gym routine. Basically to eat what i like. Eat clean when possible, but maybe to also enjoy my meals (not just brocolli and fish). Eat not because its healthy, but becuase i enjoy eating it. Have a pizza, have a beer, have a burger. To truly lead a sustainable, happy and healthier lifestyle for both the MIND & BODY... Basically to STOP counting calories.

Through eating better (especially for my soul), i hope my body will react in a positive manner. Motivated, focused and i SHOULD feel excited to go to the gym. Through this 30 days i will want to STOP weighing myself on the scale. Meaning to avoid the scale for 1 month. I think its important to feel mentally healthy + physically energised. Basically with the logic of a balanced lifestyle of active, healthy living while having good food.

Who's with me on this? For 30 days, you have to trust yourself!
1. Stop calorie counting
2. Stop weighing yourself
3. Use your own emotional well being as a guide

Come on and join me on this bandwagon! I plan to start on 19 Feb, next Thursday!

Replies

• Kymmu
    Kymmu Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    well done and good luck- I would, but I'm not quite there yet!
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    I'd love to join you...just not sure if I'm ready to yet lol BUT saying you've given a weeks notice, I'll let you know next week :)

Ref your point no. 3 - You're tired/lack energy if you are exercising more and not fuelling your body with more calories. Your TDEE doesn't seem that high if you are active, have you recalculated it lately to include your increased exercise?

Not sure if I can go a whole month without weighing in! I have been reverse dieting for the past 5 months and currently can eat at 2100 without gaining. In that time I have fluctuated a lot but still am in my goal weight range (fluctuate between 134 and 137).

I would love to trust the process :smiley:

Ruth
  • Wantingtolose1
    Wantingtolose1 Posts: 139 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I would love to be able to do this as well. The not weighing is what is scaring me the most. I'll think about it more and let u know
  • theamazingcassiebunny
    Options
    I love this idea too, but I have just transitioned to maintenance. Not sure if I'm ready yet. I'll see how I feel next week. Regardless, I wish you the best! :)
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    shoulian wrote: »
    1. Stop calorie counting

This illustrates the way that adherence is very personal.

1. Calorie counting isn't a chore to me and I don't see it as a straightjacket, perfectly happy to be over one day (or week) and compensate with days (or weeks) under. I eat the food I like whether I'm losing, maintaining or gaining.
    2. I enjoy weighing daily. It's just data and means I understand normal weight fluctuations within my goal weight range and can spot any trends over time.
    3. 1 & 2 have no impact on my emotional well being.

But good luck to you, keep experimenting.
  • ryanhorn
    ryanhorn Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I actually would love to give this a try. I'm all for counting calories/weighing myself, and I don't see it as much of a hinderance to my life; HOWEVER, I'm always open to new and potentially eye opening experiences.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,952 Member
    Options
    This is actually pretty interesting, definitely something everyone in maintenance should try at one time. It has to be the right time though. I will have to wait until 1) I'm in maintenance and 2) have been there for a while to make sure I know what maintenance feels like with counting. After that, I do hope to try this!
  • RaspberryTickleChicken
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    1. Stop calorie counting

1. Calorie counting isn't a chore to me and I don't see it as a straightjacket, perfectly happy to be over one day (or week) and compensate with days (or weeks) under. I eat the food I like whether I'm losing, maintaining or gaining.
    2. I enjoy weighing daily. It's just data and means I understand normal weight fluctuations within my goal weight range and can spot any trends over time.

+1

Also, THIS makes ZERO sense to me.
    VeryKatie wrote: »
    This is actually pretty interesting, definitely something everyone in maintenance should try at one time....

If something has proven to work and it's NOT a burden but has truly become a seamless part of a daily routing (like automatically putting on a seatbelt when in the car) then WHY "should everyone in maintenance try at one time?"

Some can absolutely stop logging & maintain with ease. While others are unable to.

The key to successful maintaining & not returning to the GET STARTED or INTRO forums with a 'Back at this again' thread is to be honest enough & objective enough with oneself to determine which category one falls into & carry on with what works for that individual.

As there is no one blanket formula to losing weight, there is no one blanket formula to maintaining.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    1. Stop calorie counting

That's me too. I love to eat - and I love what I eat. I'm not hungry. I'm happy. Weighing and logging have almost no impact on my emotional well-being. It's useful data. Been doing this 3 years.

Enjoy! I am pretty sure I could do this, but have no desire to do so.