Splits anyone??

Options
I used to be able to when I was in dance but now I'm struggling to get back into it...

I've been stretching and stretching but I feel like my muscles won't let me...I'm scared I'll pull it

Any tips??

Replies

• rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Make sure you are very warmed up and relaxed. Go slow and practice regularly.
  • Mrsallen6_11
    Mrsallen6_11 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I know exactly how you feel, in high school and college my splits were awesome and now I can barely get my thighs to touch the ground. Yoga, I've found a lot of yoga sequences on Pinterest that have slowly helped me.
  • camille_163
    camille_163 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    @rybo‌ Thanks that's what I'm trying..I guess I'm just getting a little impatient ! $:

@Mrsallen6_11‌ I knoww! It's so frustrating...I tried bikram yoga but there wasn't really any splitting pose..I'll keep on trying. Thank you!
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I used to as well. Now I'm old and I can't get anywhere even close. Just stretch every day.sit on the floor and stretch while you watch tv. I don't do it, but I don't care about my ability to do the splits lol. What is the benefit to being that flexible? Just curious.
  • Mrsallen6_11
    Mrsallen6_11 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I think it's call Pigeon pose Swan, but it helps with splits, Frog pose (<i know you'll remember that one from dance classes lol), deep runners stretches would help too. I've also resorted to sit up against a wall and let my legs hang at the sides for about 5 minutes every now and then. Or butterfly stretches, you know sitting almost indian style but your feet or bottoms together and you're trying to keep your knees on the ground as you put your nose between your smelly feet (<never my favorite stretch but it does help). Just trying to name out few stretches that will help. Also when look on Pinterest or on Google try finding stretch sequences that look familiar from dance classes, thats how I found sequences I was looking for.
  • gvj777
    gvj777 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Warm up. Practice. Little by little.
  • bababs89
    bababs89 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Warm up, and be patient. It takes time!
  • camille_163
    Options
    Thank youu! Never got to respond because I switched my phone but yes! Steady does it ✌️
  • bellesouth18
    bellesouth18 Posts: 1,078 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I used to coach gymnastics (and was a gymnast, too). Get your body temperature up, then do some hamstring and hip flexor stretches.

Hamstrings: Sit on the side of your bed or a step with one leg extended in front of you and the other one hanging down off the side. Keeping the extended leg straight, reach forward.

Hip flexors: Kneel on the floor with your legs apart and your hands on your hips. Look up and back as you push your hips forward. Be careful with this one. You can do a different version of this one by having one leg in front, like a kneeling lunge.

My tips? Hold each hamstring stretch position for 20 seconds to start with and increase the time weekly. And, when you get more flexible--while in the split position, bend the back leg. That will stretch you even more.

Good luck!
  • camille_163
    edited January 2023
    Options
    Redownloaded this app and just found all my old posts! A little update: I’m now able to do full front and side splits!

What helped me: doing (5-15mins) cardio post weighlifting then foam roll and finally doing my stretch sequence (since I’m full warmed up!)

Thanks for all the helpful reply 😊
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,663 Member
    Options
    I'm kind of astounded to see a thread this old reawakened by the OP herself. . . let alone one who did so to give us such a good-news, helpful status update. :)

Congratulations: I'm glad that you got your splits back!