Polar ft4 Question

Options
navyjen
navyjen Posts: 1,043 Member
I have been using my polar ft4 almost daily for several months now. Prior to that I only used it every few weeks. But yesterday at the gym the hrm lost signal twice during a workout. I had to restart my watch and re sync it. Anyone know why it is doing this? Does it need a new battery in the heart rate piece. I did notice my chest strap had slipped a little lower. Thoughts answers? Last week it quit once during a workout. And other than restarting my watch is there anything I can do to pick up where I left off?

Replies

• amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Yes, you likely need a new battery. When it starts having sync problems that's usually the first thing I do and has fixed the issue every time. A tip: store your receiver away from your watch to extend your battery life.
  • navyjen
    navyjen Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    Thanks amusedmonkey.
  • NekoneMeowMixx
    NekoneMeowMixx Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    It could very well be the battery, if you're using it that often. I know I've had some issues with mine (I've only had it a few months, and I've used it maybe 2 dozen times). But I notice that if I don't wet the strap (at least the rubberized part) it has a really difficult time making a connection. This sucks, because it seems no matter how warm the water I use to wet the strap, it always feels freezing cold when I put it on!

Best of luck though-- hopefully you get her up and running again soon :)
  • Esterhase
    Esterhase Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I've been using Polar HRMs for more than ten years. If you do some poking around on the net you'll find a lot of people who are having the same experience-things are fine for a while, and then the display becomes unreliable. Clean strap, tight strap, electrode gel, new batteries, reset, all these help for a while, sometimes, but general experience seems to be these straps have a short life, and you can count on having to replace it every six months or so if you use it regularly.
    Doesn't seem to be specific to Polar, for what that's worth.

This thread is a pretty good overview: http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2010/04/troubleshooting-your-heart-rate.html

Cheers

• amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Esterhase wrote: »
    I've been using Polar HRMs for more than ten years. If you do some poking around on the net you'll find a lot of people who are having the same experience-things are fine for a while, and then the display becomes unreliable. Clean strap, tight strap, electrode gel, new batteries, reset, all these help for a while, sometimes, but general experience seems to be these straps have a short life, and you can count on having to replace it every six months or so if you use it regularly.
    Doesn't seem to be specific to Polar, for what that's worth.

This thread is a pretty good overview: http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2010/04/troubleshooting-your-heart-rate.html

Cheers

That's interesting. I've had mine ever since the monitor came out and I haven't had to replace my strap yet. Looks like I'm one of the lucky few.