feeling defeated

Options
So a couple weeks ago I started my diet. I was so excited because I lost 3 pounds the first week and another 3 the next. This morning I weighed in and found out I gained back 4 pounds. I feel so defeated right now. I have had the hardest time losing weight and no matter how hard I work it never stays off for more than a couple days. I feel like giving up. It's just another losing battle for me and I am so tired of hearing the " you can't because your too fat" speeches.

Replies

• dpandori
    dpandori Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Don't sweat it. Water comes off and goes back on quick. Stick to what you're doing and it'll come off. Don't try to starve yourself...keep track of your macros and get some exercise and you'll be fine. Feel free to add me...we can all use the extra support to help achieve our goals!
  • jessupbrady
    jessupbrady Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Well, you can; There are a lot of things going on and being overweight is not what is stopping you. You are where you are right now because of how you live your life. If you want to be somewhere else you have to change how you live. This is not a simple thing. It's complex and full of outliers that no one knows but you. Unsupported by your family, coworkers, day-to-day drama.

Sometimes the easiest way is to being with just one change. Promise yourself to change into a healthy breakfast. Find healthy options and a variety of them until each morning you have a healthy breakfast and that becomes a habit. Then move on to lunch, then snacks, then dinner. It may take you a long time to get those changes made - but they will be made.

Same with exercise - start with low-impact short exercises, or just stretches - give yourself one day that a week that you exercise for under 30 minutes. then progress out from there. before long you will be doing what you need to do for you and it will be a habit.
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Three weeks is way too short a time-frame to gauge success. Keep doing what you're doing and you'll see results.

ETA: Look at the math. In 3 weeks, you've lost a total of 2 pounds. Over the course of a year, that's nearly 35 pounds. Wouldn't it be great to be 35 pound lighter next February?
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,564 Member
    Options
    It's water weight. In order to gain 4 pounds of fat, you would have to eat 14,000 calories over maintenance. Water weight fluctuates all the time, especially if you consume excess sodium, begin or increase exercise, or are coming up to TOM.
  • JoseCastaneda
    JoseCastaneda Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I totally understand you. We all have those kind of days.

But let me tell you, don't get discouraged! this is a life long run! there will be good days, bad days, great weeks, weeks where our effort seems fruitless... but keep going, keep going! you will get there! Think of it more like a lifestyle change, not a weight loss journey. Losing weight is just a side effect :)

Keep going!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    It's water weight. In order to gain 4 pounds of fat, you would have to eat 14,000 calories over maintenance. Water weight fluctuates all the time, especially if you consume excess sodium, begin or increase exercise, or are coming up to TOM.

Or ovulation, if you ovulate.
    But yes. Everything Malibu just said.
  • workout_ninja
    workout_ninja Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    like everyone else said, keep doing what you are doin - it didnt all go on in 3 weeks so it wont come off in 3 weeks. Just eat at a deficit, get some protein, get some exercise and some sleep and relax. it will come off
  • khloesdad0124
    khloesdad0124 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    So a couple weeks ago I started my diet. I was so excited because I lost 3 pounds the first week and another 3 the next. This morning I weighed in and found out I gained back 4 pounds. I feel so defeated right now. I have had the hardest time losing weight and no matter how hard I work it never stays off for more than a couple days. I feel like giving up. It's just another losing battle for me and I am so tired of hearing the " you can't because your too fat" speeches.

I understand how you feel. At my work we do a biggest loser competition. And when I did it the first time my weight yo-yo'd for the first month to a month and a half then it finally clicked for me. I try to keep my calories in the 1800-1900 range (according to MFP I can have 2340). And once I figured how to make my food work for me so that I wasn't starving and running to fast food, I started shedding weight. When I started the Biggest Loser competition in Oct '14, I weighted 327.7 lbs. I weighed myself this morning and I am down to 294.6. It's a long term thing. Don't look at short term. Yeah you may have gained 4 lbs this week but overall you have lost 2 lbs. Keep it up and it will start to come off more steadily.
  • klkeeling21
    Options
    Scales are weird; they fluctuate so much. The same thing has happened to me a couple of times (outside of breaking my diet, of course, when it's to be expected). Make sure that you weigh yourself at the same time of day/under the same circumstances, and no more than once a week, but otherwise don't let yourself get too down about it. You'll probably see a difference next week. In the meantime, trust what you see in the mirror, and how your clothes fit, etc.
  • cmmull67
    cmmull67 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Don't let the setback discourage you. Step back, examine your diary and your exercise logs, and see where you got derailed. It happens to all of us at one point.

Feel free to add me. More encouragement can only keep you staying positive.
  • spookyface
    spookyface Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    Just as a reader of this thread you all have made me feel better too!