13 weeks Pregnant carbs/sugar issues

Options
4th Pregnancy in all and completely different then the others, even with my 2nd pregnancy where I lost our baby... I am completely and totally craving all forms of sugar, carbs and salty things. I do love food and treats, but i have never had such strong cravings and it feels like ( to me at least) it's an addiction now. Has anyone else had this problem before? Need any advice, help, suggestions etc ....please, that are safe and effective.

Replies

• DAM5412
    DAM5412 Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!!

Look here:

http://www.dailytransformations.com/food-cravings-here-is-what-your-body-really-wants/

Talks about what your body "may need" during certain cravings...

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    ^^ This
    When I am craving things, I usually know to eat greens/leafy veggies and more fats and oils.
  • misskris78
    misskris78 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    At 13 weeks, I couldn't be in the same zip code as food, so congrats. Maybe it's a girl? :) I know of several people who have had this happen so I don't think it's unusual. I craved beef towards the end of my second. I curled up with a 20 oz. Porterhouse and never looked back.
  • TheRealNoodlette
    TheRealNoodlette Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I'm a midwife and this comes up often with my clients. Usually carb cravings translate to a need for proteins and fats. Make sure you eat some protein when you have carbs, like almond butter or peanut butter or cheese with an apple for example. Pregnancy induces a big metabolic load on your body and it's important to keep your blood sugar in control. Those big highs and lows can do a number on pregnancy sickness (nausea!) too. Pickles are really great for satisfying your salt cravings if you are looking for something healthy to snack on. Good luck.