fruit weighing

Options
Hello everyone! Do you guys subtract the core from your apple, pear (ect.) weight as well as the peel from the oranges? For example, I have a beautiful honey crisp apple, and it weighs 279g, should I weigh the core when I'm done eating the fruit and subtract that from the 279? This seems like the way I would do it, but I'm not sure how everyone else does. Thanks!

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I subtract what I'm not eating, either before or after.
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    If it's convenient for me, I slice/peel/stem/core the fruit, then weigh the edible portion.

If it's not convenient - for instance, if I am bringing a banana or orange to work with me - I use MFP's default entries (the ones without an asterisk, based on USDA data) and estimate. I have been doing this long enough to know the size of a medium apple or small orange. It's not exact, but nothing in calorie counting is :)
  • NurseCU
    NurseCU Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Ok, thanks guys! It made sense to subtract the core, but I wasn't sure. It probably wouldn't hurt me to count the weight of the core either! Ha.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    I always just weigh the edible parts.
  • NurseCU
    Options
    Thanks! That seems like common sense, and I'm an educated woman, but I guess when it starts getting down to the nitty gritty, I want to be as precise as I can, and start second guessing everything. :)
  • hortensehildegarde
    hortensehildegarde Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    agreed I either only weigh the edible parts or when in a rush weigh the whole thing. I'd rather go over by a little and it's not going to be much with fruit/veg

• gainer39911
    gainer39911 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    The USDA quantities in the USDA database are calculated on the basis of the edible portion of a food. So, to accurately determine the calories in a food, you need to subtract the unedible portion, or "refuse" in the USDA terminology. The USDA database lists nutritional content for five varieties of apples "raw, w/ skn", and reports an average refuse content of 10%. You could check that a few times by weighing the cores of a few apples, then apply that correction in the future.
  • NurseCU
    Options
    Thanks for the advice!