If I take 2 to 3 rest days will my maintenance calories decrease?

Options
Like usually I work out 7 Days a week because im a athlete. If I take 2 to 3 rest days because I really need them badly will the calories I eat to maintain my weight now decrease to a lower intake? Or when do they decrease?

Replies

• DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    You maintenance calories are just the number of calories you burn that day, so if you burn less calories by not exercising one day, then you'd have to eat less calories that day to maintain. Of course if you eat an extra few hundred calories for a couple of days it won't make much difference - you need to eat 3,500 calories to gain a pound - but you'll technically be eating in a surplus.

You should eat less calories on your rest days since you're burning less. Some people will average out the calories over the week so they're eating the same every day, some will eat more on workout days and less on rest days. It's up to you - if you're doing less exercise then you should eat less, but if it's just for 2 or 3 days then eating a surplus won't make much of a difference.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Yes your maintenance calories will probably decrease.
  • taylorblade
    taylorblade Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    You maintenance calories are just the number of calories you burn that day, so if you burn less calories by not exercising one day, then you'd have to eat less calories that day to maintain. Of course if you eat an extra few hundred calories for a couple of days it won't make much difference - you need to eat 3,500 calories to gain a pound - but you'll technically be eating in a surplus.

You should eat less calories on your rest days since you're burning less. Some people will average out the calories over the week so they're eating the same every day, some will eat more on workout days and less on rest days. It's up to you - if you're doing less exercise then you should eat less, but if it's just for 2 or 3 days then eating a surplus won't make much of a difference.

OK thanks for the advice! Because I plan on getting up and going sprinting tommorow. :)