Exercise and Hunger

Options
Over the last six months I have been exercising more. I started on a tread mill and pushups everyday. I've worked my way up from 2.5 mph to 3.0 mph. I can do a light run at 4.0 mph for about 10 minutes at a time. Like I said I am not used to the exercise, so I'm working my way up. I walk/jog on average 40-50 minutes a day.

As I have been doing this I have noticed that I am more hungry than I've ever been. Should I resist the urge to eat more? Or do I listen to my stomach and increase my food intake? I've lost 40 lbs so far and I don't want to gain any back as I have 30 more lbs to lose. Any advice?

Replies

• cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    I am one who gained weight due to overeating exercise calories. That said:

In your place, I would probably try a controlled experiment. Add 100 calories to your daily total for a month. See what your weight does.

Hopefully the extra will help satisfy hunger and meet your increased energy needs, without getting out of control and devouring everything in sight.
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    Assuming you are using MFP, the exercise calories should be logged which gives you additional calories on those days. You can consume some or all of those additional calories.

ie;
    My normal calorie goal is 2,090
    I burn 350 calories doing cardio exercise.
    My calorie goal for the day increases to 2,440 for that day.

Some people recommend that you can consume 50% of the exercise calories, that is a personal choice. Technically if you log everything accurately, you can consume all the exercise calories and still stay at the goal deficit.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    MFP is notorious for overestimating calorie burns. So, to be safe, I would recommend eating back half of the calories it says you burned working out.
  • Wiseandcurious
    Wiseandcurious Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    In your place, I would probably try a controlled experiment. Add 100 calories to your daily total for a month. See what your weight does.

I would do this. It will take a while to gather enough data and see if you got it right, but you will know you're using the best data there is - your own.

If you lost this much without many problems with boredom hunger/binges etc, then a new, repeated and unequivocal hunger signal probably means you need a bit more to sustain the exercise. Just a guess, the results will confirm it or not.