How often should i weigh?

Options
cdcruizer05
cdcruizer05 Posts: 1,006 Member
I'm curious, as i'm probably weighing myself too much. I currently weigh every morning, mainly out of curiosity. Sometimes this can be discouraging, as i get too fixated on the number.

Replies

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Personal preference. If you can't handle the fluctuations, I would go to weekly if I were you.
  • jessietrumble
    jessietrumble Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I think weighing daily can be very discouraging. I believe to be truly successful in a weight loss journey you have to be fixated on goals not numbers on the scales. I have been on this journey too many times. Every other time I have always been fixated on the scale and the my discouragement was always high. This time I am setting monthly goals of 8 pounds hoping to average 2 pounds a week. I have found this much more encouraging. I am at week 7 and am down 19 pounds. There was a week and a half where I hovered at the same weight. I have felt much more successful not worrying about the scale.
  • cdcruizer05
    Options
    Yeah, i'm gonna really try hard. It will probably be more rewarding to weigh at least once a week or month. I started out saying i would weigh from the 15th to the 15th, but that didn't last long. lol!
  • KHaverstick
    KHaverstick Posts: 308 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    It's definitely personal preference. Some people like to weigh once a week, some once a day. I'm somewhere in between. I don't actually remember to weigh daily, but I like to weigh daily. I use a separate app to track weight, and I log my weight every time I weigh. It shows a linear trend, and I actually like more data points. I know that it's going to fluctuate, so the pound or two up or down doesn't phase me. What I like to see is the trend over, say, a month. If it's going down, I'm happy. I think once a week can be discouraging (personally), because I might happen to weigh on one of those "up" days, and then miss seeing that the next day I'm back down. So for me, I'd rather either weigh daily or just monthly. If the daily fluctuations get you down, weighing daily may not be for you.
  • KHaverstick
    KHaverstick Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Also, taking measurements and progress pics would probably be more encouraging than weighing alone.
  • subversive99
    subversive99 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Might be a better question for the general loss forum instead of the success stories forum.
  • cdcruizer05
    Options
    Might be a better question for the general loss forum instead of the success stories forum.

lol yeah i noticed that after i realized i posted in the success stories. Oops!

Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!