Weight loss in your 30's

Options

Replies

• Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    so, the o.p. is 33. less than 4 years ago she was in her 20's. does it really make sense to you logically that your metabolism would decrease SO much in less than 4 years? NO! your body just does not change that much within those 4 years. you didn't hit menopause. nothing significant happened.
  • Jankatherton
    Jankatherton Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Aviva92 wrote: »
    so, the o.p. is 33. less than 4 years ago she was in her 20's. does it really make sense to you logically that your metabolism would decrease SO much in less than 4 years? NO! your body just does not change that much within those 4 years. you didn't hit menopause. nothing significant happened.

I don't know what's going on then ugh. Just can't seem to get those 15-20 pounds off. I guess just need to suck it up.
    The day after my 32nd birthday I actually had an ACL repair done on my knee and had been off my feet for about a month before the surgery and quite limited for about 6 months after the surgery. I lost a lot of muscle in my leg at that time and that's when I gained about 15 pounds. Just haven't been able to get it off since.
    I guess in my 20's I never experienced any gains like that that I had to lose.
  • shamp5
    shamp5 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Yea I definitely notice a difference. In my early 20's I lost 20kgs/45lbs like it was nothing but now I'm 31 omg struggling....
  • Jankatherton
    Options
    shamp5 wrote: »
    Yea I definitely notice a difference. In my early 20's I lost 20kgs/45lbs like it was nothing but now I'm 31 omg struggling....

Finally someone who agrees!
  • kristen6350
    kristen6350 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    I'm 36 (not old, but not young either) and right now I have a 22% BMI. Lost 10 lbs in 2 months just by reducing calorie intake. Basically, I sucked it up and did what I had to do. If you let go of the excuses and just do it in 5 month you could be a goal. Stop telling yourself that 6 days in the gym is going to fix your diet. If you aren't losing you need to re-evaluate what you REALLY want, to lose weight or a bag of Cheetos?
  • shamp5
    shamp5 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I'm eating so much better these days too....I wasn't even counting calories back then

• Jankatherton
    Options
    I'm 36 (not old, but not young either) and right now I have a 22% BMI. Lost 10 lbs in 2 months just by reducing calorie intake. Basically, I sucked it up and did what I had to do. If you let go of the excuses and just do it in 5 month you could be a goal. Stop telling yourself that 6 days in the gym is going to fix your diet. If you aren't losing you need to re-evaluate what you REALLY want, to lose weight or a bag of Cheetos?

My BMI isnt much higher than yours right now at my highest weight. Right now I have a BMI of 23.2. I think it's a little different when it comes to losing weight when you already have a healthy BMI.
    And I don't eat things like Cheetos...
  • Aviva92
    Options

lol, i had a bag of cheetos today.
  • Aviva92
    edited February 2015
    Options

My BMI isnt much higher than yours right now at my highest weight. Right now I have a BMI of 23.2. I think it's a little different when it comes to losing weight when you already have a healthy BMI.

nothing wrong with eating cheetos. my bmi at it's highest was 24 which is also not overweight. now it's 17.8 which is a little low. i should probably gain a few pounds, but my point is can lose weight within the healthy range. it's not that hard.
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options

All it means is that your BMR ("metabolism") and TDEE (calories burned in a day)--the amount of calories you can eat to maintain or lose weight--is lower than for someone who weighs more/has a higher BMI. You have less mass (muscle and fat) that requires energy to function. It's math, not magic.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,539 Member
    Options
    I'm nearly 41 and have no problems losing. Though I'm currently the fittest I've ever been and have more muscles than ever before. So no, no problem here.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    You're 33? That's when I lost a bunch of weight, it worked. Saying that, it's not quite like losing 10 pounds in your 20s and everything just going blooop right back to how it was, like nothing happened. Younger people heal and cope with physical change better, that's all. The slightly more limited blooop factor is why weight lifting is such a good idea for 30+ women to improve shape, lend firmness, etc.

I do notice people who don't work out or watch their diets spreading a bit at mid-30s but it's totally controllable if you pay attention.
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    40's = definitely harder.
    << this scares the crap out of me, though.

Also, it's up to you and I can understand wanting to stay consistent, but you have a great figure at this weight too.
  • blackcoffeeandcherrypie
    Options
    I guess it's different for everyone; I could never lose weight in my 20s, but now I'm pretty good at it. I think it's because I'm more informed and have more willpower now than I did in my 20s.
  • Losingthedamnweight
    Options
    Op: you so silly. When you posted pictures I thought as I scrolled down "oh here we go. This must be really bad if she's this upset". Then I get to the last picture and you look pretty much the same as you did in your 20's. Whaaaaat? You crazy person. You look great. Your old fogey mind is playing tricks on you. If you're not losing weight, you just need to count better. If you want to be more fit, make sure you're doing the right things. Age doesn't really fit into the equation! When I'm 90, I'm gonna be the fittest 90 year old in the Nursing home benching old ladies and hulking out whenever I get a chance.

You're just too hard on yourself. I'm the same. I made a post about it recently and everybody told me I was crazy. And it helps. So this is me helping you : you're crazy! You look damn good woman
  • Aviva92
    Options
    tomatoey wrote: »
    You're 33? That's when I lost a bunch of weight, it worked. Saying that, it's not quite like losing 10 pounds in your 20s and everything just going blooop right back to how it was, like nothing happened. Younger people heal and cope with physical change better, that's all. The slightly more limited blooop factor is why weight lifting is such a good idea for 30+ women to improve shape, lend firmness, etc.

I do notice people who don't work out or watch their diets spreading a bit at mid-30s but it's totally controllable if you pay attention.

Also, it's up to you and I can understand wanting to stay consistent, but you have a great figure at this weight too.

40's scares the crap out of you? i just hit 40, so now 50's scares the crap out of me. 40 was a non-event and still extremely easy to stay thin if you pay attention.
  • tomatoey
    Options

40's scares the crap out of you? i just hit 40, so now 50's scares the crap out of me. 40 was a non-event and still extremely easy to stay thin if you pay attention.

Thin is fine but stacked is something else, lol!
  • Nklulu
    Nklulu Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I thought it was just me! I was blaming husband and kids for sabotaging my best efforts but maybe age is a factor too.
  • Aviva92
    edited February 2015
    Options

Thin is fine but stacked is something else, lol!

not to sound stupid, but i'm not sure what that means. if you mean building muscles, i have no clue on that. i'm good with staying thin. i'm not good with building muscles.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I am stronger and fitter now than I have ever been before ...I am 47 and can do push-ups for the first time in my life...never managed one before I started this and now I can do sets, elevated / weighted etc

I think it's an excuse...I've used them all, I'm sure we all have. The it's so much harder for me because ..I'm a mum, I'm ill, I work full time, I'm this old, I'm that old, I can't sleep, I'm stressed, I'm female, I'm hormonal, I'm peri menopausal blah blah blah

Whatever ...it's harder to lose when you're older because you're not active and don't have the same musculature ...so change that and it becomes easier...because the tools are easier now than they were 20 years ago

• tomatoey
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I think there are real limitations, like collagen synthesis being less great and cumulative wear and tear on joints, however I think this poster nailed it:
    I personally don't find it any harder now at 37 than it was in my 20's, actually for me it's easier to find the time to go to the gym. We eat out a lot less now than we did when I was in my 20's as well. Yes it takes work, yes for some it's harder than for others in general. However even if I was giving scientific proof that it's harder to lose now that I am 37 I would disregard it. It gives us an excuse to give up and is mentally self defeating. I am not going to buy into it. I can do this, I will do this. Any other mentality is not something I am willing to entertain.

With the proviso that sometimes, you run into things you can't control (like arthritis). But, you can work around them.