Greenhouse - Does anyone have one?

Options
Lift_Run_Eat
Lift_Run_Eat Posts: 986 Member
Does anyone on here have a greenhouse that they currently use? How many seasons do you use it for, and did you build it yourself, buy a kit, or someone else build?

I am looking at some now. I prefer 3-4 seasons So I can grow in the Winter. I just can't decide if I want to spend the thousands$$ on a kit or make my own?

Replies

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    I would love to have a full greenhouse with heat! Someday I will.

But for now I use cold frames to extend the growing season. We are into single digit and negative temps now and the only thing still being harvested is kale (there are fall planted vegetables doing their thing underground for Spring harvest) But there are only about 2-2.5 months that I don't have something that can be harvested using cold frames. We made them ourselves from pvc pipe and heavy plastic.
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
    Options
    I hear the gases from these things are very harmful to the environment...
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    _John_ wrote: »

Is that a joke? What type of gases?
  • Khukhullatus
    Khukhullatus Posts: 361 Member
    Options

But for now I use cold frames to extend the growing season. We are into single digit and negative temps now and the only thing still being harvested is kale (there are fall planted vegetables doing their thing underground for Spring harvest) But there are only about 2-2.5 months that I don't have something that can be harvested using cold frames. We made them ourselves from pvc pipe and heavy plastic.

I have a decent size one I built myself. It was really pretty easy, but I grew up doing construction. Any weekend warrior handyman could handle it no problem, but I wouldn't recommend it for your first project.
  • BigBadWolf__
    BigBadWolf__ Posts: 158 Member
    Options

greenhouse gases.. DUH
  • Lift_Run_Eat
    Options

Yes, I think that was a joke. Greenhouse gases/global warming...etc.

What kind of plastic/covering did you both use (Need2Exerc1se & FoCoAlphaNerd)?
    It is not our first project, so I think I could handle it.

I have just read sooo much information that I am having a hard time deciding which would be best.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options

I have a decent size one I built myself. It was really pretty easy, but I grew up doing construction. Any weekend warrior handyman could handle it no problem, but I wouldn't recommend it for your first project.

We have plans drawn up for one, but other projects keep taking priority. We almost did it last summer, but I chose to add a second garden instead. Our little farm is my hobby and passion, but full time jobs limit how much we can do each year.

This year I'm hoping we'll build a treehouse. Something really cool that the grandkids can play in, we can camp out in and can be used as a hunting blind. But, that would mean no greenhouse again this year.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options

greenhouse gases.. DUH

Oh, hahhaha! Whoosh! That went right over my head. :p
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    rhenry2424 wrote: »

I have just read sooo much information that I am having a hard time deciding which would be best.

I think we used transparent 6 mil. It's actually not so transparent, but that's what it says on the label and it lets in enough light. You can find some free plans for greenhouses on www.motherearthnews.com. That's where I get a lot of my gardening info. They have great forums there too.
  • Lift_Run_Eat
    Options
    Thank you so much @Need2Exerc1se‌. I have looked on their site before-a while back.

A treehouse would be so much fun! I wish our only decent tree did not have a powerline going through it.

We live in a residential neighborhood, so I can not do anything too big. We just built a fence around our patio and some yardspace for the dogs. (They kept digging out the main yard) Now I have a huge large area that I can build more beds and the greenhouse.
  • Khukhullatus
    Options

The first year I used . . . I'm almost positive it was the single layer EVA (but the specific kind of plastic isn't really critical all that really matters is thickness and single layer or dual layer). It worked for three seasons (as in spring, summer, fall, not three year long growing seasons), but between snow and freezing in the winter I wasn't going to get a fourth.

When I decided it was something I was enjoying and wanted to keep doing, I used reclaimed glass storm windows. You'd be blown away how cheap you can get glass panels if you hook up with the right construction company, I'd just google "reclaimed windows" and try to start there. I also got a demolition company to give me a couple of squirrel cage fans they ripped off the top of a building that was coming down, so that I could move a ton of air when necessary. You have to do that whole white washing thing annually, but it's a weekend project at the most.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options

The first year I used . . . I'm almost positive it was the single layer EVA (but the specific kind of plastic isn't really critical all that really matters is thickness and single layer or dual layer). It worked for three seasons (as in spring, summer, fall, not three year long growing seasons), but between snow and freezing in the winter I wasn't going to get a fourth.

When I decided it was something I was enjoying and wanted to keep doing, I used reclaimed glass storm windows. You'd be blown away how cheap you can get glass panels if you hook up with the right construction company, I'd just google "reclaimed windows" and try to start there. I also got a demolition company to give me a couple of squirrel cage fans they ripped off the top of a building that was coming down, so that I could move a ton of air when necessary. You have to do that whole white washing thing annually, but it's a weekend project at the most.

Habitat for Humanity has stores were they sell recycled building materials. I bet you could also find them there.
  • Khukhullatus
    Options

Habitat for Humanity has stores were they sell recycled building materials. I bet you could also find them there.

Habitat for Humanity stores are HORRENDOUS ripoffs. I've been a half dozen times and been shocked what they think is a "discount." If you really want to support the cause, feel free to use them, but if the goal is to save money, don't even drive past them. I've regularly seen things like fixtures and doors that would be cheaper to buy new from Home Depot.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options

Habitat for Humanity stores are HORRENDOUS ripoffs. I've been a half dozen times and been shocked what they think is a "discount." If you really want to support the cause, feel free to use them, but if the goal is to save money, don't even drive past them. I've regularly seen things like fixtures and doors that would be cheaper to buy new from Home Depot.

Oh, good to know. I've never been inside, but I drive by one on my way to work.
  • Khukhullatus
    Options

Oh, good to know. I've never been inside, but I drive by one on my way to work.

Yeah, I was helping a landlord pickup washing machines for some of his rentals. It's a college town and they get destroyed so he exclusively uses used ones, and we saved something like six hundred dollars by spending a weekend on craigslist rather than using the Habitat store.

With reclaimed stuff, the price should be somewhere in the neighborhood of "if you get it out of here, you can keep it." Not everything is going to be free of course, but don't settle for a 30% discount or something on that order. Demo companies don't want to have to pay to haul that stuff off, and they have no use for it.
  • Lift_Run_Eat
    Options
    Good information @FoCoAlphaNerd‌. I tried craigslist for windows, but anything on there pricey because we have a lot of "crafters" who like to reclaim winddows and doors and make things with them. I will try some of the democompanies around here.
  • Khukhullatus
    Options
    Good information @FoCoAlphaNerd‌. I tried craigslist for windows, but anything on there pricey because we have a lot of "crafters" who like to reclaim winddows and doors and make things with them. I will try some of the democompanies around here.

no prob. I actually know a guy who makes a really good living removing all the copper pipes and wiring from buildings when they are being demolished. The demolition companies love him because he does the work in exchange for keeping whatever he removes. I was shocked to find out he cleared six figures last year.
  • Lift_Run_Eat
    Options

no prob. I actually know a guy who makes a really good living removing all the copper pipes and wiring from buildings when they are being demolished. The demolition companies love him because he does the work in exchange for keeping whatever he removes. I was shocked to find out he cleared six figures last year.

Wow!!! That is awesome
  • Travis_2
    Travis_2 Posts: 1,445 Member
    Options
    I want one, but likely will not ever get one until I have more land.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    edited February 2015
    Options

Copper is high price. About 1 person per month gets electrocuted in my area while trying to steal copper. It's ridiculous.