Anyone seen this article on obesity?

Options
http://www.latimes.com/science/sciencenow/la-sci-sn-eat-less-more-obesity-20150212-story.html

Basically suggests that if you're obese, you're doomed to failure forever and ever because your body will do anything to gain back that fat that it's lost.

I'm somewhat skeptical but would like to hear what anyone else has to say.

Replies

• jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    Urg. That article is dangerous. It's just a big excuse for people to not even try.
  • EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I can agree that if knowing how to lose weight and being motivated were all it took, we wouldn't see the kind of obesity numbers that we do. Objectively, just telling people that it's all about personal responsibility isn't effective either. And even it were all about personal choices, I don't think there's harm in taking a closer look at how we can help people change their choices--you know, apart from just telling someone they don't want it enough.

Some people do come back and say some variation of "thanks for the slap in the face. That's what I needed!", but just from my own anecdotal observations, those people are the minority.

I've lost 60lbs and kept it off for...4ish years now? I still have more to go. I think what helped me most was finding new and different ways to keep the negative energy balance going. I never really did crash dieting, but I will routinely change up how I look at my intake and exercise so that it's new and different...and thus interesting for me. Ironically, finding that one thing that works seems to ultimately be unsuccessful over time, for me.
  • mvexplorer
    mvexplorer Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I have read a number of articles on this, and I think it is true that once you are obese, it is harder to maintain at a thinner weight. However, this doesn't mean it is impossible. I liked the line "obesity in remission." It shouldn't be an excuse not to try to lose weight.
  • sodakat
    sodakat Posts: 1,126 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    herrspoons wrote: »
    Here's a link to the abstract. Note the use of weasel words like 'may'. Question that if homeostasis happens after extended period of obesity then perhaps the same effect can happen after a few years of being slim.

Stay fat and use excuses or get busy living.

http://www.thelancet.com/journals/landia/article/PIIS2213-8587(15)00009-1/abstract

That abstract is strange! Seems to me the author is VERY pro weight loss surgery and considers it the only way to assure permanent weight loss.

I got a charge out of his choice of words to describe reaching goal weight through behavioral changes:

"Thus, we
    suggest that few individuals ever truly recover from
    obesity; individuals who formerly had obesity but are able
    to re-attain a healthy bodyweight via diet and exercise
    still have ‘obesity in remission’..."

55835802.png

• lthames0810
    lthames0810 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    Don't we accept this with other incurable life-long conditions like diabetes? How is this different?
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    I have always thought that some people's weight gain is due to how they handle their stress. You get stressed out - you eat. You might lose the weight, but it you don't change how you respond to stress, you'll gain it back.
  • KnM0107
    KnM0107 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I rolled my eyes at "obesity in remission". I have read a few articles about this. I refuse to accept any excuse. My body must not hae gotten the memo that it is supposed to be trying to get fat again.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    We are hearing more and more of these kinds of things.

Weight loss does indeed come down to the end point of eating less than you burn. There are many examples of users on this forum who thought they would never lose the weight after years of trying, until they actually figured out how to do it right. Denying this fact, or telling people that it's "too hard", is doing a disservice.

But many people don't get how to do it right. It's hard. If food were a prescription drug and all you had to do was lower the dosage, it would be easy. But food is pervasive: it's a comfort, a crutch, a pleasure, an integral part of our lives and our cultures.

Look at all the time and energy we as a society have devoted to this: endlessly revised nutrition guidelines, school lunch arguments, physical education arguments, whole industries devoted to weight loss. What do we have to show for it? Many overweight people.

I agree that new strategies are needed. I disagree with the tone of the LAT article that telling the truth is counterproductive.

That said, I like the phrase "obesity in remission." I feel like that describes my plight pretty well. Fat Jruzer is always trying to come out and I'm always having to fight him. It's slowly getting easier, but I know it will be a battle for a lifetime.

• JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    EvanKeel wrote: »
    I can agree that if knowing how to lose weight and being motivated were all it took, we wouldn't see the kind of obesity numbers that we do. Objectively, just telling people that it's all about personal responsibility isn't effective either. And even it were all about personal choices, I don't think there's harm in taking a closer look at how we can help people change their choices--you know, apart from just telling someone they don't want it enough.

Some people do come back and say some variation of "thanks for the slap in the face. That's what I needed!", but just from my own anecdotal observations, those people are the minority.

I've lost 60lbs and kept it off for...4ish years now? I still have more to go. I think what helped me most was finding new and different ways to keep the negative energy balance going. I never really did crash dieting, but I will routinely change up how I look at my intake and exercise so that it's new and different...and thus interesting for me. Ironically, finding that one thing that works seems to ultimately be unsuccessful over time, for me.

I think a lot of the problems in general, come down to people not knowing how to cook, actually cooking, not taking something from a box to a pan, or following those magical "3 ingredients" recipes. People are quick to tell someone what to do or that they're wrong, but rarely do they bother to ask if someone knows HOW to change what they're doing. You can tell someone they need to increase protein or focus on more vegetables to be able to eat more, but it doesn't really help them if they don't know how to get protein outside of a drive through or a Lean Cuisine, and have spent an entire life counting frozen corn as their main vegetable.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options

+2
    Thanks for saying that. Perhaps change must become the new habit.

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    There has been a lot of articles about it. I wish I could say that it's BS, but heck, the fact alone that I've been so much hungrier since I got so close to my goal weight is stopping me from calling it BS. Ultimately it probably comes down to willpower, IMO, which is why so many people fail.
  • EvanKeel
    Options
    JPW1990 wrote: »

I think a lot of the problems in general, come down to people not knowing how to cook, actually cooking, not taking something from a box to a pan, or following those magical "3 ingredients" recipes. People are quick to tell someone what to do or that they're wrong, but rarely do they bother to ask if someone knows HOW to change what they're doing. You can tell someone they need to increase protein or focus on more vegetables to be able to eat more, but it doesn't really help them if they don't know how to get protein outside of a drive through or a Lean Cuisine, and have spent an entire life counting frozen corn as their main vegetable.

What you're presenting is an issue of "food quality" and its effects on weight loss. I have my own views on that. It would suffice to say that I'm less inclined to care about my food coming out of a box (or not) than others.

I can only really speak for myself. I know how to cook. I'm pretty good at it. Much of the time, I simply don't want to cook. I've lost quite a bit of weight eating out of drive-throughs and boxes. Some people have trouble moderating their intake in those instances. Everyone's mileage varies.

• JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options

What you're presenting is an issue of "food quality" and its effects on weight loss. I have my own views on that. It would suffice to say that I'm less inclined to care about my food coming out of a box (or not) than others.

I can only really speak for myself. I know how to cook. I'm pretty good at it. Much of the time, I simply don't want to cook. I've lost quite a bit of weight eating out of drive-throughs and boxes. Some people have trouble moderating their intake in those instances. Everyone's mileage varies.
    There's a difference between not knowing how to cook and choosing not to cook. You know what you're doing and make choices based on that knowledge. For someone who has no idea where to start, things that seem stupid simple to someone who can cook seem like a mystery to them. It's not a quality issue, it's an education issue.
  • sodakat
    sodakat Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    I kind of like the term "obesity in remission" too, which is why I said I got a charge out of it.

However, the tone of the abstract and the dismal prediction for successful maintenance after weight loss is a bit discouraging, to me.

I liked the quote yesterday in one of the abstracts linked to, that talked about obesity being a chronic condition. In fact I pasted it on my profile so I could read it again and again.

Today my mindset is going in the direction of "don't be too quick to get to maintenance because maintenance may be a lot more difficult than losing weight." So, If at some point my loss slows even more than it has, yet I'm still losing, at least that will be my focus, which has been doable for me.

55835802.png
  • ksmi141
    ksmi141 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    In the wild, animals with higher fat reserves have a better chance of surviving harsh conditions. So, biologically, it does make some sense that a body would try to fight to keep those reserves. Especially, if those reserves have been there for a while.

However, I think it's silly to believe that this would prevent weight loss. Biologically, burning more calories than you take in forces your body to get energy from stored fat, that's why fat is there. So, while I can totally see how the body would want to hold on to fat as long as it can, you just have to keep at it so your body understands that while it may feel like death, we aren't starving and we definitely won't die during winter.

Just my opinion. :)
  • Th3Admiral
    Options
    Here's a link to the abstract. Note the use of weasel words like 'may'. Question that if homeostasis happens after extended period of obesity then perhaps the same effect can happen after a few years of being slim.

Stay fat and use excuses or get busy living.

http://www.thelancet.com/journals/landia/article/PIIS2213-8587(15)00009-1/abstract
    The use of 'may' and other terms that do not make definitive statements isn't notable or evasive; it's good empirical reporting. Research is based on statistics, which are essentially probabilities that an effect is true given appropriate controls for error. Any manuscript should be careful of making definite claims or using strong, biased wording. All I'm saying is that there is nothing unusual or suspicious about that word choice.

Anyway, otherwise I agree with you.
  • EvanKeel
    Options

There's a difference between not knowing how to cook and choosing not to cook. You know what you're doing and make choices based on that knowledge. For someone who has no idea where to start, things that seem stupid simple to someone who can cook seem like a mystery to them. It's not a quality issue, it's an education issue.

If you start off thinking food coming out of a box is a problem in itself, you're making it a quality issue. I think mostly we see problems with people (as a group, rather than individually) becoming willfully ignorant of the energy-density of the foods we consume, and we pay a price of that.

And while I agree that education is important a good place to start (how can I possibly know how to moderate my intake if I don't know what I'm taking in?), I also see plenty of very well-informed people who are still over weight. So education is nice and all, but it's only a tiny part of the answer for a lot of people.

• ksmi141
    ksmi141 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    ksmi141 wrote: »
    In the wild, animals with higher fat reserves have a better chance of surviving harsh conditions. So, biologically, it does make some sense that a body would try to fight to keep those reserves. Especially, if those reserves have been there for a while.

However, I think it's silly to believe that this would prevent weight loss. Biologically, burning more calories than you take in forces your body to get energy from stored fat, that's why fat is there. So, while I can totally see how the body would want to hold on to fat as long as it can, you just have to keep at it so your body understands that while it may feel like death, we aren't starving and we definitely won't die during winter.

Just my opinion. :)

Also more chance of being caught by predators.

Predators don't pick the biggest animal, normally. They pick the oddball. Of course, obesity isn't normal in wildlife, either. I just found it relateable.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    emdeesea wrote: »
    http://www.latimes.com/science/sciencenow/la-sci-sn-eat-less-more-obesity-20150212-story.html

Basically suggests that if you're obese, you're doomed to failure forever and ever because your body will do anything to gain back that fat that it's lost.

I'm somewhat skeptical but would like to hear what anyone else has to say.

I have not read the article yet, but I remember when I used to believe I was doomed to be fat forever. I was fat since infancy and thought I was just built big and there was no way I was going to get fit.

Boy was jittery wrong! :D
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    That's a great article for people to use not to even start. The only useful piece of informations in it is that there should be support for people on maintenance.

We. Have. That. Here.