Glasses while exercising?

Options
i don't wether to wear my glasses or contacts when exercising?

Replies

• kshadows
    kshadows Posts: 1,315 Member
    Options
    It's totally your choice. I don't care if I'm at the gym but when I'm outside running I prefer my contacts, especially if it's really cold or it's raining/snowing because glasses get fogged up or collect precip and make it hard to see.
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    I find my glasses slip down my nose when I sweat, so I either wear a stretchy cloth headband which helps keep them in place, or for some exercises like donkey kicks I take them off. I'm so blind I need either my glasses or lenses or I'm a danger to myself and others. Plus if I wear glasses to run in the rain I find myself daydreaming about whether I could make and install teeny tiny windscreen wipers over the lenses....

Bit confused why you don't like wearing contacts though... What bothers you about them?
  • kshadows
    Options
    Who said they didn't like wearing them?
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    kshadows wrote: »

Oops. No one. I'm on my second beer and clearly need to check my own glasses! :)
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    I can't wear my glasses to work out. Sweat + glasses = falling off my face. I wear my contacts primarily; I don't get why you wouldn't want to wear them, unless you were swimming without goggles.
  • kshadows
    Options
    yesimpson wrote: »
    kshadows wrote: »

Oops. No one. I'm on my second beer and clearly need to check my own glasses! :)

5 o'clock somewhere! ;-)
  • rbfdac
    rbfdac Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    I always wear my glasses. They don't slip off because I also wear a cloth headband for sweat, which keeps them in place. They do tend to get sweat on them, but it doesn't bother me. I just clean them off when I am done. Contacts would actually probably bother me more because if I got sweat in my eyes with the contacts, it would be very bothersome (I sweat a LOT when exercising)
  • snarlingcoyote
    snarlingcoyote Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I bought some prescription lens running goggles at zenni optical online. To combat fogging, I rubbed a little spot of baby shampoo on the lenses then washed it off. The goggles felt a bit odd the first few times I wore them, but I got used to it.
  • hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    Since Im freaking blind without glasses, I always wear mine. Except when skiing - I have a stash of daily wear contacts for that.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Never without my glasses.
    There's such a thing as a Sports Vision Institute.

Prescription motorcycle goggles.
    nannini_cruiser_black_left.jpg

• outtamyweigh
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Never without my glasses.
    There's such a thing as a Sports Vision Institute.

Prescription motorcycle goggles.
    nannini_cruiser_black_left.jpg

Ba ha ha, I can totally picture myself walking in for my workout in these. I have to take off my glasses when I do burpees or mountain climbers. One day I'm going to end up jumping right on them.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    I primarily wear my glasses for working out.
    But due to the cold, they have fogged up or iced over often and I've had to run with them in my hand.
    Considering my prescription is -6 and I think I'm considered legally blind lol, I got some trial boxes of contacts for cold runs.
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    I wear a pair of old glasses with a nerdy strap to keep them from falling down. Found the strap at the dollar store.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I always wear my glasses no matter what I'm doing, including running half marathons. I've never had a problem with them bouncing or slipping. They even stay on during a cartwheel. I also have Transitions so they double as my sunglasses while running.

If you find that they bounce or slip you may just want to get your glasses adjusted.
  • hdrenollet
    hdrenollet Posts: 147 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    @lishie_rebooted‌ - I'm also a [-5.5][-6] and only wear contacts when working out. I can't stand the feeling that my glasses are going to fall off of my face from sweating when I'm working out.
  • dougpconnell219
    dougpconnell219 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    This is a problem I have yet to solve. I would just like to get lasik, but can't afford it.

I'm about to start training for a triathlon, and the thought of swimming that far in open water with a million people splashing around while I'm Damn near blind doesn't really sound good.

I guess i need to get some contacts. I've never had much luck with them due to dryness.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    hdrenollet wrote: »
    @lishie_rebooted‌ - I'm also a [-5.5][-6] and only wear contacts when working out. I can't stand the feeling that my glasses are going to fall off of my face from sweating when I'm working out.

I sweat like a mofo but I don't have worries they'll slide off.
    My issue is the fogging/icing over while running here in Maine lol
  • snarlingcoyote
    snarlingcoyote Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    For fogging, try putting a very little baby shampoo on the lenses, rubbing it in, then rinsing them off. Got this tip from a scuba enthusiast.