Please don't judge other people's work outs

Options
Awhile back, a young fitness stud asked the question here on the MFP forums, "why do people read while they're working out? How can they get a decent work out if they're reading? If you're going to come to the gym to work out, then work out!"

To a slight degree, I got his point.
I've been there, looking down through sweat-filled eyes from my step aerobics class at all the people floating around in the pool and calling it "exercise".
Heck, I was in the best shape in my 40's than I've been since I was a teenager.
At the gym three days a week, doing an hour of step aerobics followed by an hour of weight lifting.

And then...
At the beginning of the year I developed shooting, gripping pain in my right lower leg that prevented me from even sleeping.
At all.
I was a mess.
And being an RN for 26+ years, I knew why.
An MRI revealed a herniated disc and cyst on my back that were severely compressing my spinal nerve roots.

I haven't worked a full shift since December.
My toes are numb, I have lost significant strength in my right lower leg and back aches constantly.
I've been to see a neurosurgeon, am currently doing physical therapy and just had my first epidural steroid injection the other day :\

I have just been " approved" by my PT to walk, do very shallow squats and calf raises to try and prevent further muscular atrophy.

And so to my "point".
I'm sure I look like a very able-bodied individual and people may have been wondering why I was "hogging" a treadmill so I can walk at 3.0 for 30 minutes. (I tried 3.5 and I hurt like the dickens.)

We don't know everyone's story or where they are at physically.
My PT yelled at me for vacuuming for Pete's sake!
I'm sure there will always be some individuals who could push themselves much harder at the gym, but choose not to for whatever reason.

Either way, please don't judge.

Replies

• cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    I know how tough it is to be stuck doing what we think is "easy" when we are crying inside to go harder.

You are awesome for doing as much as you can.
  • ShibaEars
    ShibaEars Posts: 3,928 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I will admit that previously I would judge people pretty harshly based on my perception of their exertion levels. Now having gone through my own injuries I remind myself that I know nothing of that individual's situation, so who the heck am I to judge?
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    Awhile back, a young fitness stud asked the question here on the MFP forums, "why do people read while they're working out? How can they get a decent work out if they're reading? If you're going to come to the gym to work out, then work out!"

To a slight degree, I got his point.
    I've been there, looking down through sweat-filled eyes from my step aerobics class at all the people floating around in the pool and calling it "exercise".
    Heck, I was in the best shape in my 40's than I've been since I was a teenager.
    At the gym three days a week, doing an hour of step aerobics followed by an hour of weight lifting.

And then...
    At the beginning of the year I developed shooting, gripping pain in my right lower leg that prevented me from even sleeping.
    At all.
    I was a mess.
    And being an RN for 26+ years, I knew why.
    An MRI revealed a herniated disc and cyst on my back that were severely compressing my spinal nerve roots.

I haven't worked a full shift since December.
    My toes are numb, I have lost significant strength in my right lower leg and back aches constantly.
    I've been to see a neurosurgeon, am currently doing physical therapy and just had my first epidural steroid injection the other day :\

I have just been " approved" by my PT to walk, do very shallow squats and calf raises to try and prevent further muscular atrophy.

And so to my "point".
    I'm sure I look like a very able-bodied individual and people may have been wondering why I was "hogging" a treadmill so I can walk at 3.0 for 30 minutes. (I tried 3.5 and I hurt like the dickens.)

We don't know everyone's story or where they are at physically.
    My PT yelled at me for vacuuming for Pete's sake!
    I'm sure there will always be some individuals who could push themselves much harder at the gym, but choose not to for whatever reason.

Either way, please don't judge.

For every person who is moving "too slow" on the treadmill or who is deadlifting an empty bar, there are 50 at home on the couch doing diddly. As long as you aren't sitting on a weight bench doing your hair in the mirror, I'm not judging.
  • Lofteren
    Lofteren Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    Meh,

for every person who's trying to train through an injury and is taking it easy there are 50 people who are just being lazy. There are two sides to every coin.

Then again, who the hell cares what other people are doing when you're at the gym as long as it doesn't inhibit you from doing what you need to?
  • Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Options
    Lofteren wrote: »
    Meh,

for every person who's trying to train through an injury and is taking it easy there are 50 people who are just being lazy. There are two sides to every coin.

Then again, who the hell cares what other people are doing when you're at the gym as long as it doesn't inhibit you from doing what you need to?

Yep
  • Mustang_Susie
    Options
    ="EWJLang;31297507"
    For every person who is moving "too slow" on the treadmill or who is deadlifting an empty bar, there are 50 at home on the couch doing diddly. As long as you aren't sitting on a weight bench doing your hair in the mirror, I'm not judging.
    Nope, never went to the gym to look pretty ;)

• HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    LOL, as long as you're actually moving, judger's can f right off.

Unless you're curling in the squat rack, of course.
  • Mustang_Susie
    Options
    EWJLang wrote: »

Never! :o

• Lofteren
    Lofteren Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    EWJLang wrote: »

Curling in the squat rack is probably the most compelling argument for keeping the death penalty in all 50 states.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Im in the gym a lot, which gives me time to people watch. Whatever my opinion it doesnt matter as people o for their own reason. I admire the ones who are really overweight for doing something about it (as I have done) and I hope they will be back and stick with it.

I do find the people who just wander around and either poke at a few machines or spend 80% of their time on their mobiles as rather bizarre. If its judging to think they arent making any effort or arent going to achieve much like that, then so be it. Up to them but why waste your own time like that? Its annoying if they are taking up equipment, but not using it.
  • Mustang_Susie
    Options
    999tigger wrote: »
    Im in the gym a lot, which gives me time to people watch. Whatever my opinion it doesnt matter as people o for their own reason. I admire the ones who are really overweight for doing something about it (as I have done) and I hope they will be back and stick with it.

I do find the people who just wander around and either poke at a few machines or spend 80% of their time on their mobiles as rather bizarre. If its judging to think they arent making any effort or arent going to achieve much like that, then so be it. Up to them but why waste your own time like that? Its annoying if they are taking up equipment, but not using it.

Yes, I agree, there is gym etiquette and common sense manners.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    Options
    Good message :) But, as someone who's also restricted in terms of what I can do due to injuries and arthritis, I encourage those similarly constrained to just not GAF. Put on some headphones, do what you do, ignore anything anyone else is doing or possibly thinking (you can't control it anyway). If someone goes that extra step and explicitly says something, explain.

I don't know what to think about the hogging equipment issue, though. My gym just has two bikes (comfy seat and spin). If someone needed a bike and I was over 30 mins, maybe I'd move to an elliptical if it was free, because I can use that now. But I couldn't before. (My gym has no time limit for machines but 30 mins is pretty typical and I guess fair enough.) I don't know, what do you think?
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    "Don't judge other people" is a good rule in general. Unless you're a judge.
  • janerfitnesspal145
    Options
    One of the reasons I don't go to a gym. While I appear to be one of the "able bodied" I have a neuromuscular disease that makes my muscles weak (Myasthenia Gravis). I would have to rest too much in between reps/sets at a gym and just hang out reading or something 'til my muscles cooperated. I do work out at home with weights, etc. and do a lot of walking.
  • Markguns
    Markguns Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    Just don't tie up the circuit equipment sitting on it for 5 mins while you play with your phone! Or do your curls in the squat rack, get a bench if you need a rack! You can walk, ride, or climb at you own pace... as long as you are Moving, I don't care... :D Lead, Follow, or get the hell out of my way! :p
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    Options
    That's kind :) except, I guess people are saying they do have to stop sometimes and it looks like they're not doing anything. (For me I just get on that machine and stay on it for a long time, like 45-60 mins.)

These are invisible issues
  • AmandaHugginkiss
    AmandaHugginkiss Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Too busy judging myself harshly to judge others.
  • Mustang_Susie
    Options
    tomatoey wrote: »
    Good message :) But, as someone who's also restricted in terms of what I can do due to injuries and arthritis, I encourage those similarly constrained to just not GAF. Put on some headphones, do what you do, ignore anything anyone else is doing or possibly thinking (you can't control it anyway). If someone goes that extra step and explicitly says something, explain.

I don't know what to think about the hogging equipment issue, though. My gym just has two bikes (comfy seat and spin). If someone needed a bike and I was over 30 mins, maybe I'd move to an elliptical if it was free, because I can use that now. But I couldn't before. (My gym has no time limit for machines but 30 mins is pretty typical and I guess fair enough.) I don't know, what do you think?
    My gym has a 30 minute time limit on cardio machines but I think that's just mainly when it's busy. Otherwise, it doesn't really matter.
  • Mustang_Susie
    Options
    Markguns wrote: »
    Just don't tie up the circuit equipment sitting on it for 5 mins while you play with your phone! Or do your curls in the squat rack, get a bench if you need a rack! You can walk, ride, or climb at you own pace... as long as you are Moving, I don't care... :D Lead, Follow, or get the hell out of my way! :p

Yes, there is the testosterone factor...
  • Mustang_Susie
    Options
    Markguns wrote: »

Yes, there is the testosterone factor... ;)