how much protein do i need?

Options
I am currently doing les mills pump and have my settings set for maintenance. I am watching my macros and want to make sure I have my protein goal set right. I am familiar with iifym but have read that you can set protein for .8 instead of 1? I weigh 146 so do I set it for 146 or can it be lower?

Replies

• OlgaW007
    Options
    you need 1.5 gr per kg of your body weight. This is a maintenance goal for regular regimen of your training.
  • minipony
    minipony Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I never understood why we have to consume so much protein. It just seems like a lot.
  • JossFit
    JossFit Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Don't use the MFP calculator... set your goals to "custom" and use this calculator to figure out your needs; http://iifym.com/iifym-calculator/

The recommended daily intake for protein is generally .8g per kg of bodyweight, however that number is for the average (e.g. sedentary) individual. Those who are dieting or who are aiming to increase muscle mass generally need to eat considerably more.
  • Melissa72187
    Melissa72187 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I know I need more protein now but didn't know how much, I have a hard time getting close to the goal to begin with