Eating below 1500 calories/Walking calories & protein needed to retain muscles

Options
So a question of mine is periodically I'll get so busy I'll forget to eat a snack or I won't eat a big enough meal, is this going to hurt me? Also in regards to burning calories while walking (mostly too and from work/2miles each way) do I need to up my protein intake to counteract what i burn or is the policy still 1g per 1kg? I bought some 170 calorie protein shakes (35g) off Amazon last night to help counteract both those problems.

Last question is amount of calories burned while walking. It says for 80minutes @ 3mph (to and from work 40m each way and almost exactly 2 miles each way) I burn 489 calories. Don't know if I should trust this, I don't own a car atm though so I walk everywhere (just relocated to a new area that makes this possible).

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    So a question of mine is periodically I'll get so busy I'll forget to eat a snack or I won't eat a big enough meal, is this going to hurt me?

Nope

Also in regards to burning calories while walking (mostly too and from work/2miles each way) do I need to up my protein intake to counteract what i burn or is the policy still 1g per 1kg? I bought some 170 calorie protein shakes (35g) off Amazon last night to help counteract both those problems.

What? 0.8-1lb protein per 1lb of LBM is a relevant figure, never heard your calculation before. Put some resistance training in there

Walking is good exercise ..protein shakes are fine if you must ...not my thing

Last question is amount of calories burned while walking. It says for 80minutes @ 3mph (to and from work 40m each way and almost exactly 2 miles each way) I burn 489 calories. Don't know if I should trust this, I don't own a car atm though so I walk everywhere (just relocated to a new area that makes this possible).[/quote]

4 mile walk ...it depends on weight, height and speed of course but I'd probably knock off 200 calories ...judge it against weight loss over time
  • mrsmiley32
    mrsmiley32 Posts: 68 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Okay, 196g of protein seems kinda impossible, that'd required 3 protein shakes a day on top of what I'm eating :<

Side note, yeah I have a pretty good every other day resistance workout (a bit more than what they say at start bodyweight). Male, 245lbs, 6'.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    mrsmiley32 wrote: »
    Okay, 196g of protein seems kinda impossible, that'd required 3 protein shakes a day on top of what I'm eating :<

Side note, yeah I have a pretty good every other day resistance workout (a bit more than what they say at start bodyweight). Male, 245lbs, 6'.

Per LBM not weight

http://www.builtlean.com/2011/08/24/lean-body-mass-definition-formula/
  • mrsmiley32
    Options
    My exercise routine:
    Resistance: ~25m (Every other day)
    3 sets of: hold 3 sec down/up where it applies (that btw is a mofo on some of these)
    8 straight legs bench dips, 16 (8 each leg) bulgarian split squats, 8 Pike diamond push ups, 8 flat straight leg raises, 8 Diamond push ups (really should be doing decline push ups), 8 deep squats, 1-2m planks.
    (Gym, 3 sets too) 4 100lb assisted pull ups, 8 normal full dips

Cardio: ~35m (Do this with my resistance)
    6-12m jogging at 10mph
    150 jumping jacks
    100 (easier but lower because I do them after jumping jacks) "jump ropes"
    3 sets of 10 lunches with each leg
    3 sets of 20 Taekwondo kicks
    3 sets of 10 hip kicks (each leg, each way for stretching the muscles around the hips)
    3 sets of 10 front kick
    30 front roll flips* (having difficulties finding a place to do these in seattle)
    10m on punching bag
    general stretches and balance exercises (I am already coming up with enough names, just things I picked up over the years to keep certain parts of you limber)

Strength: TBD next week with fitness trainer

Daily:
    Walk 4miles minimum (to work & back)
    (Pull ups are daily till I can do them unassisted and 8 per set)
    (TBD: Stair climbs avg feels like but not counted ~24 trips up/down 30-40steps, meetings on a lot of different floors)
  • mrsmiley32
    Options
    Note I've been doing most of this routine or building up to it since early November (like I didn't start with Bulgarian split squats and it took awhile for me to get truly correct form, also just got access to a gym so gym items are new)