alternative for mash potatoes.

Options
13»

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I had some butternut squash left over this weekend so I boiled it together with my potato; mashed them together with unsalted butter and garlic. It came out multicolored and went very well with the asparagus.

I had a whole roasted cauliflower which was a treat.
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,344 Member
    Options
    Ok so I was thinking this would prob be good, mash cauliflower with onion soup mix
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    jonesm97 wrote: »
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I love mash potatoes. Is there anything that is simular but healthier that I can. Try instead?

why do you feel that mashed potatoes are inherently "unhealthy"? potatoes actually are pretty nutritious, and they're pretty low calories...not seeing the problem here.

I was told they were not so healthy. I love them and I don't want to give them up. Didn't know if there was an alternative.

This also probably greatly depends on what and how much other stuff you put in your potatoes...if you're dumping all kinds of butter and heavy cream in there, you're definitely ratcheting up the dietary fat and calories.

I make mine using a little 1% and some butter and garlic. They're great...nice fluffy mashed potatoes.

I would add that portion control is probably about as important as anything here...before I learned portion control, my serving of mashed potatoes was the equivalent of about 3 actual servings...
  • Jewf
    Jewf Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Throw one or two large potatoes into your mashed cauliflower. Really does make it seem a lot more like real mashed potatoes.
  • iamaprincessx
    iamaprincessx Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    2 Parsnips and half of a sweet potato blended together with a little greek yoghurt/creme fraiche for extra creaminess, I love this on a cheat meal x
  • cwolfman13
    Options
    2 Parsnips and half of a sweet potato blended together with a little greek yoghurt/creme fraiche for extra creaminess, I love this on a cheat meal x

How is that a cheat meal?
  • iamaprincessx
    iamaprincessx Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

How is that a cheat meal?

Because I try not to eat sweet potatoes or any potatoes at all because it makes me bloat and hurts my IBS, so i just have it occasionally or im walking around with a pregnant looking swollen sore belly :( i just eat more fats than heavy carbs x
  • amandarunning
    amandarunning Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I prefer mashed swede to mashed potato. Mashed carrot and swede is nice too and Aunt Bessie does a handy frozen version (prob just UK though)!

Also mashed celeriac - PITA to peel and cut though!
  • tekkiechikk
    tekkiechikk Posts: 375 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I love potatoes and won't give them up... but what I have given up is the horrible habit of drowning them in butter or gravy or sour cream. Funny how I can actually TASTE the potato now. I like mine baked and sprinkled with some apple cider vinegar and a pinch of salt. Try using low sodium seasonings, too (like Mrs. Dash).
  • TheBigFb
    TheBigFb Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    Mashed caauliflower my *kitten*. Either eat normal mashed potate, or dont eat it. Its like Mayo, either have the real deal or none at all, same for coke.
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I mix cauliflower with the potatoes. 1 potato and a head of cauliflower. The funny thing is that steamed cauliflower is so mild that 1 potato totally overpowers the cauliflower. I also put greek yogurt in mine in stead of cream and this lets me reduce the butter.
  • leahfarr1
    Options
    I love mash potatoes. Is there anything that is simular but healthier that I can. Try instead?
    I always have sweet potato now never normal potatoes
  • Flab2Fab27
    Flab2Fab27 Posts: 461 Member
    Options

Baked potatoes, roasted potatoes, French fries

• bubbabacon
    bubbabacon Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Mashed cauliflower. It's so good! Add a little garlic, milk, salt and pepper. Some people even add a little potato flakes to it. I love it!
  • cwolfman13
    Options
    leahfarr1 wrote: »
    I always have sweet potato now never normal potatoes

why?
  • Angurla
    Angurla Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I take 2 potatoes and toss them in a pot with a whole head of cauliflower. Boil them like you would just potatoes then mash them with some milk and garlic and they are a pretty good substitute for mashed potatoes and better for you. I tried just mashed cauliflower on my family and they weren't too thrilled. The combo went over better.
  • SophiaSerrao
    SophiaSerrao Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Huh... I used the forum search to see if there were any newish ideas for preparing potatoes (which I tend to avoid due to high calorie content... and general disinterest in them... but I'm having a bit of a craving for them lately, specifically mashed ones) (I'm aware that there's nothing wrong with mashed potatoes, yes) (iifym and whatnot) and I have to say, I was very satisfied and pleased reading some of these answers :mrgreen:

Cauliflower/potato mix for lower calorie bulk, greek yogurt, laughing cow (my discovery of the month thanks to these forums, haha), garlic. Sounds good.

So I'm kind of two months late, but thanks!

...I probably won't cook any of this, cuz I'm on the lazy side in the kitchen (ain't nobody got time for dat!), but it was inspiring to read = ). Maaaybe I'll do some on the weekend ^.^
  • tephanies1234
    tephanies1234 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    mashed...sweet potato? or roasted sweet potatoes with seasonings? Sweet potatoes have tons of vitamin A. They are a staple in my diet. So flavourful and so many recipes you can find for them.
  • Syreeta6
    Syreeta6 Posts: 377 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Take a hand blender to the bagged Birds Eye Steamfresh Cauliflower (add a couple splashes of milk and butter to desired consistency) and you got yourself a substitute! :);)