How did you decide your weight loss goal?

Options

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Are most apple and pear shapes on the short side in height?

Not necessarily.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I consider 5'4"-5'6" to be average height for a woman.
  • jen_092
    jen_092 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    jenxbowers wrote: »
    Thanks everyone!! I want to keep my boobs too lol but I'm willing to shrink them if it means shrinking my gut which is my one problem area, of course.

I guess it's okay to adjust my goals as I go, and see how I feel at different points along the way. I also just wanted to make sure I didn't set a goal too low because health is the priority. Along with the flat tummy haha.

145 makes sense as a first goal. You are on the taller side so it might be good on ya. You can reassess when you get there.

By the way, you mentioned starting to build muscle once you get to goal. I hope you are on a lifting program now to maintain the muscle you have?

Thanks! As for the lifting, not on a program right now, no. Last time I lost weight I did a "Pump" class and used exercise machines. I can't afford that gym anymore so I've been going to the free one at my school. It's not as good as my old gym but has the basics - what would you suggest I start doing there?

I don't mean to be annoying or forward, I'm just saying this because you mentioned you wanted to build muscle someday. Which means you must have some interest in lifting.

If you lift or do some kind of serious/resistance training now, you will lose much less muscle along with the fat compared to not lifting. Especially since you want to build it someday, why lose a bunch first? Also, you might be happier with a higher weight if you keep muscle. If you lose a lot, you might keep needing to diet down to be happy with your appearance.

What do they have at your new gym? Barbells/free weights?

For some reason I thought it was good to shed a few pounds of fat and then focus on building up muscle after that. I didn't realise I could be losing muscle right now! I know very little about all this, clearly haha. My goal for protein right now is 70g and I hit it most days. So I guess it didn't occur to me that I could be losing muscle. I definitely care less about scale numbers and more about appearance, I looked way better as a high school athlete and weighed the same due to having muscle. When I graduated I lost so much muscle weight and then gained the freshmen 15 in college.

Anyway, yeah, they have free weights and maybe barbells I'm not sure. To be honest I only go over to that area when the men's basketball team isn't there lol.

• arditarose
    Options
    Thanks everyone!! I want to keep my boobs too lol but I'm willing to shrink them if it means shrinking my gut which is my one problem area, of course.

I guess it's okay to adjust my goals as I go, and see how I feel at different points along the way. I also just wanted to make sure I didn't set a goal too low because health is the priority. Along with the flat tummy haha.

145 makes sense as a first goal. You are on the taller side so it might be good on ya. You can reassess when you get there.

By the way, you mentioned starting to build muscle once you get to goal. I hope you are on a lifting program now to maintain the muscle you have?

Thanks! As for the lifting, not on a program right now, no. Last time I lost weight I did a "Pump" class and used exercise machines. I can't afford that gym anymore so I've been going to the free one at my school. It's not as good as my old gym but has the basics - what would you suggest I start doing there?

I don't mean to be annoying or forward, I'm just saying this because you mentioned you wanted to build muscle someday. Which means you must have some interest in lifting.

If you lift or do some kind of serious/resistance training now, you will lose much less muscle along with the fat compared to not lifting. Especially since you want to build it someday, why lose a bunch first? Also, you might be happier with a higher weight if you keep muscle. If you lose a lot, you might keep needing to diet down to be happy with your appearance.

What do they have at your new gym? Barbells/free weights?

For some reason I thought it was good to shed a few pounds of fat and then focus on building up muscle after that. I didn't realise I could be losing muscle right now! I know very little about all this, clearly haha. My goal for protein right now is 70g and I hit it most days. So I guess it didn't occur to me that I could be losing muscle. I definitely care less about scale numbers and more about appearance, I looked way better as a high school athlete and weighed the same due to having muscle. When I graduated I lost so much muscle weight and then gained the freshmen 15 in college.

Anyway, yeah, they have free weights and maybe barbells I'm not sure. To be honest I only go over to that area when the men's basketball team isn't there lol.

Yeah. It's okay. It's not too late! haha. Yes, you will lose muscle along with fat. Lifting helps you maintain muscle mass as you lose. You can do body weight stuff too but I honestly know nothing about that but I think there's some good stuff on nerdfitness.com. Take a look at your gym. If there are barbells and free weights you might want to start a beginners lifting program. It's seriously so much fun.

• pjcfrancis
    pjcfrancis Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    mxmkenney wrote: »
    I picked my goal based on my BMI

Me too. My max BMI (24.9) is at 193 lbs, so I knocked about 10 lbs off that and rounded to the nearest 5 to get 185. (Best I've done in the last 20 years is 189).
  • jen_092
    Options
    Yeah. It's okay. It's not too late! haha. Yes, you will lose muscle along with fat. Lifting helps you maintain muscle mass as you lose. You can do body weight stuff too but I honestly know nothing about that but I think there's some good stuff on nerdfitness.com. Take a look at your gym. If there are barbells and free weights you might want to start a beginners lifting program. It's seriously so much fun.

Thank you so much for the help! I've only been at this for a month and I'm happy with how it's going - this tip should give me a little boost.
    When I did the Pump class I had soo much fun. It was like a lifting class set to crazy music, and really high intensity/upbeat/challenging. I had the smallest weights in the class but I definitely still felt it at the end.
  • Autumnfilly2005
    Autumnfilly2005 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'5" @240lbs, and my goal is to lose 10% of my body weight. I realize that only puts me at 216 which is still overweight, but once I get there, I figure I can re-evaluate and decide on another goal (probably another 10%).
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    Yeah it is. But being 5"8 I see that height as short.
  • arditarose
    Options

Thank you so much for the help! I've only been at this for a month and I'm happy with how it's going - this tip should give me a little boost.
    When I did the Pump class I had soo much fun. It was like a lifting class set to crazy music, and really high intensity/upbeat/challenging. I had the smallest weights in the class but I definitely still felt it at the end.

Yeah, you can PM me if you have any questions. I'm not sure about those body pump classes. Gots to lift heavy girl!
  • arditarose
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    Yeah it is. But being 5"8 I see that height as short.

Alright then
  • LoveLiveLife27
    Options
    I'm 224 and 5'4 my goal weight is 150. The lowest I remember being was 170 which didnt look bad on me but I think I want to be 150 because I really dont want to lose all of my hips. When I get there i'll change it as I see fit.

I'm 5'4" too. I started with 44 inch hips. I don't want to lose mine either. But at 136 they are still 39 inches, which I'm happy about. I kind of don't want them to be any smaller.

I Hope I keep mine. And my boobs lol... Somehow I feel I wont be that lucky

My hips have always been huge (to me, anyway), even at 125 lbs....my boobs, on the other hand, were nonexistent before and are quickly becoming nonexistent again. :( hopefully, it will even out for me in the end, lol

We can only hope lol... :)
  • shaleeny88
    Options
    I checked myself against the BMI measurements. My BMI was normal so i just decided to maintain my weight and tone up my body in time for the summer.
  • jen_092
    Options
    shaleeny88 wrote: »
    I checked myself against the BMI measurements. My BMI was normal so i just decided to maintain my weight and tone up my body in time for the summer.

My BMI was normal when I started (but one pound from being overweight, which is why I got on here and set a small goal). But since I look the same maybe I should've taken your approach. How are you going about toning up?
  • llUndecidedll
    llUndecidedll Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    Well, I'm 5'6, 226 lbs. I started at 305 lbs I just picked the higher end of the normal weight range for my height because I have a large frame, so my goal is about 150- 155 lbs. My UGW is about 130 lbs though.
  • Jolinia
    Jolinia Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    I remembered it was a good weight for appearance when I was younger. Sadly I don't have as much muscle mass now, so I'm having to go below my original goal.
  • Lissa_Kaye
    Lissa_Kaye Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I was 123 once before and still had fat, but looked and felt good, so I want to try and get there again. I was 130 growing up till it crept up to 160 when I got a desk job then 190 after I got my license. I am 5'3 and have a pretty small frame.
  • dontjinxit
    dontjinxit Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I decided to go to the lowest previous weight that I had felt healthy at.
  • mymodernbabylon
    mymodernbabylon Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'6" and at 147. I want to be at 140 primarily because I know I'll be able to keep at this weight without having to eat a lot less than I want to. So it'll be maintainable for life. Any less and I'll struggle to have the lifestyle I want. I chose it because it was a weight I had for a large part of my young adult life when I was healthy and happy (I've been less but I wasn't healthy in any way).
  • ogmomma2012
    ogmomma2012 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    I checked myself against BMI index. I set my first goal at my pre-pregnancy weight because I have been there before and knew I could get back to it (200lbs) but my maintence weight is 130lbs. Loooong journey still ahead for me but I'm almost to my first goal!
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    Honestly? The apocryphal equation for running speed, "two seconds per pound per mile." That's a little less than one minute per pound over the course of a marathon. I decided I liked the idea of dropping 10-15 minutes off my PR like magic.

Happily, that range coincides almost perfectly where, in the past, I've been more or less satisfied when I looked in the mirror. (Also been below it, still "normal" BMI, and do not look good.)

All is vanity...