New and wanting advice, COPD and Shoes

Options
hi there! I'm looking for 2 specific things.
1. I have COPD, I'm walking, doing sit ups and push ups, but what else would you suggest?
2. I desperately need new shoes for walking, and hopefully jogging some day. Any recs?

Replies

• andylllI
    andylllI Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    There are exercise programs for people with copd....kind of like Healthy heart/ cardiac rehab for people who have heart disease. Can your doc refer you to one of those? It might even be covered. The healthy heart people do supervised cardio and weight training. I'm my sure what the lung rehab group does. The American lung association or similar (haven't checked your profile to see where you are from) would be a good place to start to find a program in your area. I. There isn't one they may have some good recommendations for an appropriate exercise program for you.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    The best shoes for walking have a low heel, but unfortunately most athletic shoes have a raised heel. Good shoes include skateboard shoes and Keds. You can run short distances in them if they're comfortable for you.

For strength training, try follow a structured, full-body program. Do you have access to strength equipment / a gym?
  • pmcclorey
    pmcclorey Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    andylllI wrote: »
    There are exercise programs for people with copd....kind of like Healthy heart/ cardiac rehab for people who have heart disease. Can your doc refer you to one of those? It might even be covered. The healthy heart people do supervised cardio and weight training. I'm my sure what the lung rehab group does. The American lung association or similar (haven't checked your profile to see where you are from) would be a good place to start to find a program in your area. I. There isn't one they may have some good recommendations for an appropriate exercise program for you.

I'll look into that, thanks!
    Cherimoose wrote: »
    The best shoes for walking have a low heel, but unfortunately most athletic shoes have a raised heel. Good shoes include skateboard shoes and Keds. You can run short distances in them if they're comfortable for you.

For strength training, try follow a structured, full-body program. Do you have access to strength equipment / a gym?

I have a set of 10lb weights, and a 25lb one year old daughter. Other than that, no real exercise equipment. I don't have access to a gym right now due to finances and time constraints, so all my work outs are at home with the toddler.
  • mama_pix
    mama_pix Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear of diagnosis. I am 54 and after years of arrhythmia was diagnosed w copd last year. Have osteoporosis too so doc and physio and cardiologist said no exercise walk slow (die young). Found gym equipment in park and did 2 hrs week for 6 mos b4 I told anyone. Add bootcamp and a course in functional fitness now I can run, out plank the younger ones, and after a lifetime of not being able to do a situp, am now pretty awesome. Your diagnosis can be the beginning of a better life. Believe u can and persevere. Its not a fad it has to be a lifestyle change. Good luck inspirational young mum ! ;)
  • Mywitnessfitness
    Mywitnessfitness Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Get a pair of Brooks, my dr. Recommended it . gives lots of support and dont wear down as easily
  • pmcclorey
    pmcclorey Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    mama_pix wrote: »
    Sorry to hear of diagnosis. I am 54 and after years of arrhythmia was diagnosed w copd last year. Have osteoporosis too so doc and physio and cardiologist said no exercise walk slow (die young). Found gym equipment in park and did 2 hrs week for 6 mos b4 I told anyone. Add bootcamp and a course in functional fitness now I can run, out plank the younger ones, and after a lifetime of not being able to do a situp, am now pretty awesome. Your diagnosis can be the beginning of a better life. Believe u can and persevere. Its not a fad it has to be a lifestyle change. Good luck inspirational young mum ! ;)

Thanks. I'm hoping to work my way up to running and more physical stuff. I can get by with a "normal" life with minimal use of my rescue inhaler, but that's not good enough for my former athlete self. I used to play basketball until I was 16 and blew out my knee and ankle and my health has been downhill since. I'd like to be heathy enough to have more kids and live long enough to see my grand kids.