Arthritis

Options
I have severe arthritis in my knees and hips. I need to lose weight to lesson the stress on my joints.

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Read the stickies http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1

Swimming is good exercise and will support your joints, some can cycle with no issues

Arthritis is difficult to live with, but don't use it as an excuse to not lose weight ...weight is lost in the kitchen
  • beverlyjlarson
    beverlyjlarson Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Thank you. Exercise hurts but the alternative is worse.
  • GunnyAv8tor
    Options
    If swimming hurts, how about exercising in chest deep water. I'm fighting similar issues and have two arthritic knees and spine. Floating and moving in water is the most pain free thing I can do. KEEP MOVING! As small as it may be you have to find something to keep you going. Your competing against yourself not others. Good Luck!
  • rdfaye
    rdfaye Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Hi. I'm a recent return here, and I've had rheumatoid arthritis for 18 years and my weight has become a probhlem. Swimming or water exercise is the best. Also, my rheumatologist recommended the Mediterranean diet. Whole grains, lots of fruits and veggies, minimal red meat. Google it and you will find info and recipes. And you don't have to actually learn to cook Mediterranean, just follow the principles and portion guidelines. Although I've become partial to North African recipes. Lots of one pot stews and tagines I can eat on for 3 to 4 days. When I follow the Med diet and watch my portions, I feel better and will lose weight. I understand your pain, I live with it myself.
  • mmama2010
    mmama2010 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have had psoriatic arthritis for 5 years and my weight has ballooned up. I have tried and tried to be active and eat right- it is so hard especially because I am tired and sore. This time I have made the commitment to keep going... I am eating healthy foods 95% of the time and trying to make exercise a regular part of my week! Iam hopeful that small losses over the next year will equal a big loss overall. I have lost 18lbs since jan 5th and can feel it in my knees! Weight loss is hard especially when you have arthritis, but I think the benifits will be worth the hard work!
  • blueridgeloner
    blueridgeloner Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I have arthritis in my right knee. At one point it was painful just doing daily stuff. Walking up steps one legged, (side stepping) and all that good stuff just to get by. Dr. told me that it was severe enough that I could look forward to very early knee replacement surgery, and not really anything I could do to avoid it. That may be true, but after losing 150lbs, the pain has almost disappeared, and I am completely off all anti-inflammatory meds. Seems good to not only walk up steps, but I can skip a step now. Hopefully I am going to prove him wrong about the surgery. I really believe I am on the right track, and building strength in it every day.