Running/jogs @5:30 in the morning!

Options
So recently I have been enjoying getting myself up around 530ish am and going for a jog outside! It's not like I have much to do later anyway but I prefer to be up that early and get my running in. Anyone else do this?

Replies

• blackcoffeeandcherrypie
    Options
    I keep thinking about it, but my bed sure feels nice at 5.30 in the morning, when it's still dark outside :-)
  • crazie4lulu
    crazie4lulu Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    i get up at 2 45 on the week days and 3 45 on the weekends and do either a 3 or a 6 mile run. its my sane time... my ME time!!!! i LOVE it out there in the peaceful quiet still of the butt crack of dawn morning!
  • RunnerElizabeth
    RunnerElizabeth Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I love to do my long run (8-20 miles depending on what I'm training for) at 6-6:30 on Sunday mornings. I'd love to do it even earlier, but it's hard to find childcare at 5am on Sundays.
  • sycokid666
    sycokid666 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I do this , sometimes even earlier i know it's crazy but I do it before I take off work.. It makes me feel like I did something for my self I love it !!
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Not regularly, but when my schedule says it's the only time I'll get to workout, then I'll get up early to lift, run, ride, whatever.
  • KitkatcuteNYC
    KitkatcuteNYC Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    i get up at 2 45 on the week days and 3 45 on the weekends and do either a 3 or a 6 mile run. its my sane time... my ME time!!!! i LOVE it out there in the peaceful quiet still of the butt crack of dawn morning!

Exactly! It just feels so right :smile:
  • minionman
    minionman Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Ain't no runner but I like to hit the gym around 5 everyday except the weekends, so kinda know how that feels.
  • 4leighbee
    4leighbee Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    I used to, but got out of the routine (too many "excuses" to mention). It's so hard to get back into the routine because my bed is so cozy at 5 a.m. If I could just break that (lacing-up-the-sneaks-is-the-hardest-part) barrier, I'd be joining you crazies (said with love) before the sun comes up. It's the best time to run!
  • 4leighbee
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    I hate running. It makes me feel like a hamster.

wow ... maybe you should try trial running? Nothing hamster-like about that at all! :) But ... if you hate it, don't do it. Nothing worse than someone who hates running and complains about "having to do it." Bleh - find something else to do and leave the running to us!
  • snarlingcoyote
    snarlingcoyote Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I've tried running in the early morning. Pluses, I feel amazing and get in great times. Minuses, if it's dark out, I am looking over my shoulder at every passing car and feeling really paranoid the whole time. Dark doesn't bother me in the evening, just early morning. Crazy, I know! Alllllthough. . . .about 10 years ago a serial killer abducted some ladies from our small town and killed them; one lived just a few blocks away. . .so maybe not as crazy as all that!
  • KitkatcuteNYC
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I've tried running in the early morning. Pluses, I feel amazing and get in great times. Minuses, if it's dark out, I am looking over my shoulder at every passing car and feeling really paranoid the whole time. Dark doesn't bother me in the evening, just early morning. Crazy, I know! Alllllthough. . . .about 10 years ago a serial killer abducted some ladies from our small town and killed them; one lived just a few blocks away. . .so maybe not as crazy as all that!

I totally get what you are saying without the last part! I actually feel the safest running in the dark in the morning than later in the evening. I get way more paranoid at night and I live right next to a huge cemetery and there happens to always be black cars parked in every corner with nobody inside them but the lights are on though??? Really weird and creepy! In the mornings, I like covering as much as possible where you can't tell if I am a "male" or a "female" haha. ;p
  • snarlingcoyote
    Options

I totally get what you are saying without the last part! I actually feel the safest running in the dark in the morning than later in the evening. I get way more paranoid at night and I live right next to a huge cemetery and there happens to always be black cars parked in every corner with nobody inside them but the lights are on though??? Really weird and creepy! In the mornings, I like covering as much as possible where you can't tell if I am a "male" or a "female" haha. ;p

That would be incredibly creepy. I don't think I would be using my Zombie app there.

What's funny to me is that any time you bring.up the dark paranoia that exists in most women in various forms, they look at you like "OMG! I thought I was the only one!" I think it's something that's just down in.our deepest instincts!
  • KitkatcuteNYC
    Options
    Glad I am not the only one!
  • TheSurge0n
    TheSurge0n Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    So recently I have been enjoying getting myself up around 530ish am and going for a jog outside! It's not like I have much to do later anyway but I prefer to be up that early and get my running in. Anyone else do this?
    Running early in morning is great for sugar uptake from streaming blood in your system directly to muscle.
    I have Chinese New Year holiday day coming up, going to this exactly for 1 week untill Gym is reopened.

• JenniferInCt
    JenniferInCt Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    I want to be that person! Question- what do you guys eat/drink that early before you run? If anything
  • 4leighbee
    Options
    coffee on the way to the track lol ... back when (haven't done this in several years)
  • snarlingcoyote
    Options
    4leighbee wrote: »
    coffee on the way to the track lol ... back when (haven't done this in several years)
    Yep. One cup of coffee then go.for me. Eat later, after a shower. (I won't morning run for another 4 months, but it's coming. . .)
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    In summer I run that early just to beat the heat! Once the heat sets in, I tend to start all my runs at dawn - just light enough to see well enough, in the coolest part of the day before that fireball crests the peaks of the Sierras and burns everything in it's path. Okay, it doesn't burn everything, but I live in Fresno and it's dang hot in the summer! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: I don't usually eat anything before those early runs, but then tend to be 5 miles or less, so not a big deal. I eat well and make sure I hydrate well the day before, get some water while I'm getting dressed, and then I'm out the door.