sports massage (runners?)

Options
2015 is my year to fix alignment issues, get into the right shoes, strengthen glutes/core and improve my running form.

With that in mind (and because my shoulders are not even in the mirror when I'm running, which I thought was weird and might be tight muscles, etc.), I decided to get a massage. "Sports massage" sounded appropriate, but I'm now hearing that involves elbows and could be too intense (read: scary) for me. I have the appointment Monday. I'd like to hear from those of you who get massages as part of your fitness routine. How close to a race do you do it? (I have one next Sunday, so six days after the massage.) I'm supposed to lift heavy tomorrow (so sore on Monday, possibly) - doesn't sound smart to me. Any thoughts ... #skeered

Replies

• 89nunu
    89nunu Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    I get a sports massage every monday. While I don't run, I lift on Sundays, Mondays and Tuesdays. And yes most Mondays I'm sore (Sunday is leg day) but it is not that bad and actually helps to get rid of the DOMS.
    I also never had a problem lifting the next day which is back day.

Don't worry!

Is a sports massage making you fall asleep. Definitely not! Does it hurt. Probably. Will it make you feel better. YES!
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    Tell the massage therapist you're nervous and that you have a race coming up. They should know how to handle it. Definitely mention your concern about your shoulders.

ALWAYS speak up if you feel like they are kneading too hard or that pounding technique feels awful or they're not quite on that spot with tension. You are paying them for a service.
  • 4leighbee
    4leighbee Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! yes, I think I will speak with her first - tell her to take it easy on me. I'm excited - seems like something I should have been doing.
  • dougpconnell219
    dougpconnell219 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    My masseuse actually gets up on the table and kneads my back with her knees. It feels sooo good!

Yes, sometimes a massage is painful, and not very enjoyable. But you feel so much better, it's worth it.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    I get one every couple of weeks and usually a couple days after any half marathons. Six days after a massage is plenty of time to recover from the work your muscles should get from the therapist getting deep.