Cheat meals and maintaining weight

Options
aquinoz
aquinoz Posts: 182 Member
edited February 2015 in Goal: Maintaining Weight
i had a cheat meal today, and went over maintenance by 1300 calories. Should I decrease calories to compensate for my surplus? I look leaner and vascular after eating my cheat meal....Doesn't make sense. Also, my body feels warmer too. Pls respond.

Replies

• Shouliveshappy
    Shouliveshappy Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I believe that's true! Cheat meals are cheat days! Don't need to count calories... Since you are on maintenance, do what's sustainable, nourishing for both your body and SOUL!
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Personally I don't worry if I go over (usually my occasional overages aren't that much, but it's probably happened a time or two) unless over the course of a few weeks I notice the weight creeping up.

But I don't do "cheat" days. My everyday diet is such that I'm happy eating that way almost all the time. The only times I go over are major holidays or really special occasions.

eta: been maintaining 2+ years.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Personally I don't worry if I go over (usually my occasional overages aren't that much, but it's probably happened a time or two) unless over the course of a few weeks I notice the weight creeping up.

But I don't do "cheat" days. My everyday diet is such that I'm happy eating that way almost all the time. The only times I go over are major holidays or really special occasions.

eta: been maintaining 2+ years.

i agree with that …

OP hit your calorie/micro/macro goals or the day and eat the foods you like…then you don't have to worry about good and bad foods, and cheat meals…

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    The human body is a remarkable machine that is very adept at using and conserving energy as necessary...your body's natural tendency is to maintain and it requires a consistent effort to override that ability.

In other words, you don't put on fat just because you over ate one day...you have to consistently over-eat to override your body's ability to maintain and put on fat just as you have to consistently under-eat to lose weight.

I over-eat on occasion...holidays...parties here and there...my birthday, etc and I've been maintaining for over 1.5 years now without logging. I don't consider those things "cheating"...they are simply occasions. I really think the whole concept of "cheating" when it comes to food is very illustrative of people's crappy relationships with food.
  • Daschnitker
    Daschnitker Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much for the comments, I am just in the beginning stages of weight loss, and diet control with exercise. I am 6ft, and 242 lbs, and trying to maintain a 1700 calorie diet, It is very manageable as long as I exercise. I feel ok with occasionally going over as long as I get right back to it the next day.
  • aquinoz
    aquinoz Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Appreciate the replies! I do flexible dieting consistently , except on special occasions where I just try to eat moderately and mindfully without binging. I don't know why I appeared leaner after being in a 1300 surplus today. Could it have been due to a lowered sodium/carb/liquid intake?
  • PinkyPan1
    PinkyPan1 Posts: 3,018 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Here's my take on it....I am on maintenance and I eat at a deficit daily since I do not eat back my exercise calories. Say for instance today I am eating lunch out and I have company coming for cards tonight. There is a good chance that I will eat more than my allotted 1500 calories. Since I have not eaten any of my exercise calories I do not fear going over. I burn 300 calories more or less daily through exercise and I believe that I am good to go. I have had no problems doing it this way. This same formula helped me get through the holidays without gaining a pound.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    aquinoz wrote: »
    i had a cheat meal today, and went over maintenance by 1300 calories. Should I decrease calories to compensate for my surplus? I look leaner and vascular after eating my cheat meal....Doesn't make sense. Also, my body feels warmer too. Pls respond.

I don't do cheat meals because of my own mentality that goes with it (cheating to me implies doing something wrong), but I do sometimes intentionally eat over my calorie goal, especially on Saturdays. I am learning how to eat a bit less on weekdays and Sunday to save up for Saturday, so that I'm not too much over at the end of the week. Thus far, eating more on one or two days has not hampered my maintenance.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    PinkyPan1 wrote: »
    Here's my take on it....I am on maintenance and I eat at a deficit daily since I do not eat back my exercise calories. Say for instance today I am eating lunch out and I have company coming for cards tonight. There is a good chance that I will eat more than my allotted 1500 calories. Since I have not eaten any of my exercise calories I do not fear going over. I burn 300 calories more or less daily through exercise and I believe that I am good to go. I have had no problems doing it this way. This same formula helped me get through the holidays without gaining a pound.

You only have 1500 calories for maintenance? Plus you don't eat your exercise calories back?

That seems awful low. I'm a 53 year old woman who maintains weight on an average of 2,200 calories a day (1980 net), and I'm smaller.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Hit your calories for the week. You should naturally be less hungry tomorrow after extra calories today. And yes, food keeps your warm. When I work in the basement or outside I am STARVING and allow myself extra calories or I get chilly and very very hungry.

I also don't do cheat meals. I just have natural variations in how much I eat on any given day. But I always hit my weeks.
  • KBmoments
    KBmoments Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    [quote=

You only have 1500 calories for maintenance? Plus you don't eat your exercise calories back?

That seems awful low. I'm a 53 year old woman who maintains weight on an average of 2,200 calories a day (1980 net), and I'm smaller. [/quote]

Everyone's body is different. I'm 32, 5'3" and my maintenance is about 1500 as well. I wish I could eat that much, but I can't or I will gain... Why try and make us feel like there's something wrong with us?
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    Not a big deal in my opinion. For me I don't have a weight # - but a weight range. I have done well so far to stay in the 125-129 area. So having a high food intake day, logically speaking, is not going to take me out of that range.

On the other hand if I find myself staying around the upper limit for a while I would probably cut back 100-200 calories a day for a while.
    aquinoz wrote: »

• PinkyPan1
    PinkyPan1 Posts: 3,018 Member
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    PinkyPan1 wrote: »

That seems awful low. I'm a 53 year old woman who maintains weight on an average of 2,200 calories a day (1980 net), and I'm smaller.

Oh gosh, I wish I could have 2,200 calories a day and maintain. I am 54 yrs old and 112lbs. I think if I had 2,200 calories I would no longer have to count calories. Good for you! I am a little jealous.
  • RaspberryTickleChicken
    RaspberryTickleChicken Posts: 629 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »

KBmoments wrote: »
    Everyone's body is different. I'm 32, 5'3" and my maintenance is about 1500 as well. I wish I could eat that much, but I can't or I will gain... Why try and make us feel like there's something wrong with us?

AMEN! & +1

I have to just point out that if there were truly one universal approach or method to lose & maintain weight then perhaps there wouldn't be such an obesity epidemic or the scores of former MFP on the INTRO or GETTING STARTED forum. If consuming 2200 calories works for you GREAT! If 1500 calories works SUPER! There's no right or wrong. Why can't we all just celebrate each other's successes judgement free? If the end result is the same (maintaining weight loss over X period of time) then does it really matter how so-and-so is doing it?! *gets off soap box* Sorry I digress.

Back to @OP One meal, one day, regardless, it will not make an impact on the grand scheme of things. It's about balancing the check book at the end of the week. If you're on target for the week the indulgence will make no difference.

I'd even suggest instead of being too concerned with cheat meals or days - read up on 80/20 and embrace the new way you live your life. Sure has made my life a lot easier and guilt free. Good luck!