5:2 intermittent fasting V high protein diets when exercising

Options
A question to the experts. I've been doing 5:2 for a few months now and have lost a bit of weight through it even though I don't have much to lose. I'm currently doing T25 workouts and have been reading a lot about the importance of high protein intake when exercising. This got me thinking whether I should stop the 5:2 and move onto high protein diet of some sort. I've been also wondering if all that happens on 5:2 is the water being flushed out of the body on the fast days resulting in lower weight rather than the actual fat loss? I'm very happy with 5:2 and I find it very easy to do, so really don't want to make a mistake of moving onto something that won't work. Any help much appreciated

Replies

• WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    There's no reason you can't do 5:2 and increase your protein both.

While you might be losing water weight on fast days, if you're doing it 'right', you're also reducing your calories by several thousand per week as a consequence. You should know by the long term trend in your weight. If it's flat, it's water. If not, it's fat. Water weight doesn't keep adding to your losses week after week. :)
  • alionaear
    alionaear Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Think you've just read my mind. That's exactly what I'll do and will just try to monitor my progress on a weekly nutrition chart rather than doing it daily. Many thanks for your help