Size 12 vs Size 10?

Options
2»

Replies

• ms_leanne
    ms_leanne Posts: 523
    Options
    I started at UK14-16 and am now a 12 and am continuing. I must admit if it was me, given hindsight, I would probably buy a size 12. I think it is going to take me a lot longer to get down from the 12 to a 10 because I'm closer to a healthy normal weight (although not there yet).

P.S. Beware of H&M. I love their clothes but have a snug pair of size 16 jeans when I am a 12 in many other shops now. There is a discussion about how much their sizes vary.
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    My measurements haven't changed in months (38" hips/29" waist) yet I've gone from a size 16 to size 12 (US). Ignore the sizes and get whatever looks best on you.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Personally, I wouldn't buy anything with the intention of fitting into it later.

My body has changed a lot, but not necessarily uniformly. I lost quite a bit off my belly and waist, but a lot less off my hips and thighs, then as I started strength training, my bum changed shape (thankfully!). I need to try on about 15 swimsuits to find ONE that fits my body the way I want it to fit, and that's with my body at goal. I couldn't have guessed what would have looked good on my body before I got there.
  • clareyoung80
    clareyoung80 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'5" and from around 144lbs with a 29" waist I could fit into some size 10 clothes (Next and Dorothy Perkins jeans are my friends!). I have a size 10 Marks and Spensers bikini that I bought at the very start of my weight loss journey (when I was a size 16) to motivate me. It looks fine on me now, and I'm 140 lbs and 28.5" waist.

I could quite comfortably lose more (which I'm doing - I have around a stone left to lose) and fit into a size 8.

I'd say that, because it's a bikini, go and try some on in various stores. Bikini's are difficult to judge size wise - my size 10 bikini 'fit' me when I was a size 16 - I just had a large amount of flab rolling over the top of them! Now there is no roll-over. Some bikini's are adjustable too - I have a size 6 cheap-o Primark bikini and that 'fits' because you tie up the sides. It just doesn't cover very much of my *kitten*. The Marks and Spenser bikini though has always covered my *kitten*, just not contained my muffin top.

So yeah, my long-winded conclusion would be it depends entirely on your individual body composition and where you're buying the bikini from.
  • jakkisr
    jakkisr Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    i just went into Debenhams to look for a new one .. the sales assistant told me they won't be getting much more swimwear in stock now as they are about to switch to the Autumn-wear range!!! And we've only just got summer!!!

So, my advice would be go get one that complements you now in a 14 - they're stretchy, it won't be baggy if you drop to a 12 and it won't pinch too much if you don't lose a great deal before your hols! I don't think the *size* is anywhere near as important as getting a good fit.

(and yes, I'm very much happier at a size 12, I think I look pretty good for my age - I'm certainly working on toning up a bit but really I'm just losing what appears to be called vanity pounds and doing it healthily :) )
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    i just went into Debenhams to look for a new one .. the sales assistant told me they won't be getting much more swimwear in stock now as they are about to switch to the Autumn-wear range!!! And we've only just got summer!!!

So, my advice would be go get one that complements you now in a 14 - they're stretchy, it won't be baggy if you drop to a 12 and it won't pinch too much if you don't lose a great deal before your hols! I don't think the *size* is anywhere near as important as getting a good fit.

(and yes, I'm very much happier at a size 12, I think I look pretty good for my age - I'm certainly working on toning up a bit but really I'm just losing what appears to be called vanity pounds and doing it healthily :) )

Good God that is so annoying!!!!

The stores getting in next season's clothes I mean. For crying out loud it is only JUST June and they are already getting stuff in for Autumn, really riles me every single year!

It's like going to shoe shops to look for some summer sandals and finding they have all their winter boots on display!