Upset stomach after gym?

Options
Hey guys, just after a little advice really.

I've recently gone from pretty much totally sedentary to going to the gym 2-3 times a week since the beginning of January. I don't do anything too hardcore - around 30-40 minutes of moderate cardio and some of the weight machines. I feel so much better in general and it's definitely helping with the weight loss too.

My only issue is often when I finish exercising, I'll have quite an upset stomach for the next couple of hours. Nothing too terrible but perhaps just going to the loo a bit more than I feel I should be! Now, I've heard exercise gets things moving so I guess it could just be that. I do suffer with mild IBS as well so upset stomachs aren't uncommon for me.

If it keeps happening maybe it's something to mention to the doctor but first thought I'd ask if this happens to anyone else, especially if anyone also has IBS - do you find exercise a trigger?

Replies

• BULLET9992
    BULLET9992 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    You may be eating too much/too soon before the gym. That's what had me puking last Friday. Other than that you may need to ease into the workouts or not hit them as hard for a week or 2 before your push hard so your body knows it a regular thing & not a stress/danger situation.
  • techgal128
    techgal128 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    That happened to me. I'd work out for 20 minutes and have to rush to the bathroom. Horrible feeling. Turns out it was a combination of a bad diet (wayyyy too much fast food) and just being unfit. Eat better and lose some weight and it should go away. It did for me!
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    Are you eating before workouts? If so, how much and how far in advance? What are you eating? Take notes and try switching it up and seeing if you get different results.
  • SilverRose89
    SilverRose89 Posts: 447 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Sorry I hadn't seen these replies!

I eat at least 2 hours before the gym and that will be a small-ish lunch never after a big dinner. It's not a nauseous feeling or anything, just feeling like I need to, uhm, go to the toilet a bit urgently. Usually happens about 30 minutes after I stop exercising. I imagine it's just an IBS thing :(
  • Chihiro77
    Chihiro77 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Sorry I hadn't seen these replies!

I eat at least 2 hours before the gym and that will be a small-ish lunch never after a big dinner. It's not a nauseous feeling or anything, just feeling like I need to, uhm, go to the toilet a bit urgently. Usually happens about 30 minutes after I stop exercising. I imagine it's just an IBS thing :(

I've got IBS and I get the same. Over the years I have experimented with amounts I eat and how long before I exercise I eat and I hate to say it but it doesn't make a difference. :( Not to say that it won't with you, it just doesn't with me.
  • shamcd
    shamcd Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I've often wondered the same thing. I have always had an issue with feeling like I'm going to barf nearly every single time I work out. Even when I was in my 20's and worked out like a fiend for years, I always felt sick for a good hour after working out. I've tried eating, not eating, cutting out caffeine, drinking a ton of water before the gym, not drinking a ton of water...etc. Nothing helps.
  • SilverRose89
    SilverRose89 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Chihiro77 wrote: »
    I've got IBS and I get the same. Over the years I have experimented with amounts I eat and how long before I exercise I eat and I hate to say it but it doesn't make a difference. :( Not to say that it won't with you, it just doesn't with me.

That's interesting, thanks. It just feels like a normal flare up really so I assume not much will make a difference on top of what I already do to counter my IBS. But I will experiment still just in case.
    shamcd wrote: »
    I've often wondered the same thing. I have always had an issue with feeling like I'm going to barf nearly every single time I work out. Even when I was in my 20's and worked out like a fiend for years, I always felt sick for a good hour after working out. I've tried eating, not eating, cutting out caffeine, drinking a ton of water before the gym, not drinking a ton of water...etc. Nothing helps.

That must be horrible! :( I'm glad I don't feel sick with mine.
  • harpere87
    harpere87 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    The elliptical makes me toot. Also, I have a sensitive stomach, so just the combo of what I've had to eat in the previous 24 hours coupled with a lot of bouncing around gets things "churning". I'd say it has something to do with the IBS and maybe other things. =D